Don't know how Maria Emmerich does it

(Bob M) #1

My wife decided she wanted to go no dairy for a while, so got this book from Maria Emmerich:

In this book, she has a recipe for chocolate pudding that’s made from…hard boiled eggs. Yes, hard boiled eggs. And, it’s great (after putting into cups and putting the fridge and leaving there for a while, and using good chocolate).

Every recipe I’ve made of hers has been great.

(Susan) #2

That sounds great, Bob, thanks for sharing it with us =).

(Bob M) #3

I’ll see if I can put the actual recipe here. We’ve tried other recipes from this book, too, and so far they have all been great.

(Tracy) #4

Cool, I’ll check it out. I’ve literally gagged people with my chia pudding. I don’t think they’ll trust me if I make them boiled egg pudding. More for me.

(Bob M) #5

I was shocked, and if my kids like it, it can’t be bad. I’ll also provide my wife’s tips on how she makes it now, as it’s better than when she first made it.

(Bacon for the Win) #6

or people could support Maria and buy the book. It’s ten dollars.

(Tracy) #7

I made this yesterday and was shocked at how good this was. It tasted like chocolate mousse.

(Bob M) #8

I absolutely want them to buy the book. I’m an intellectual property attorney, so I know all about copyright, and I’m appalled you think I don’t want them to buy the book.

I was going to use this to entice people to buy the book. We have multiple books of hers.

Anyway, I’ll no longer post the recipe.

(Bacon for the Win) #9

dear God, it was a gentle suggestion for people to buy Maria’s book. There was not a mention or a hint of a mention about your intentions. Please don’t imply that I meant anything else.

(Tracy) #10

Bob you could answer a question for me - if a person posts a recipe on their website, can I copy and paste the address to share with others? Since I don’t know anything about the law, I rarely post recipes.

(Jack Bennett) #11

Absolutely yes!

(Jack Bennett) #12

I’m guessing that you are referring to the recipe being available on Maria’s web site!

(Tracy) #13

There are lots of recipes I find that I’d love to post but wasn’t sure if I’m supposed to get permission from the author first. I’d only share recipes that I’ve tried and love.

(Jack Bennett) #14

If it were a random web site (i.e. not Maria Emmerich herself) I think that could be a concern.

Since it’s on her own web site, I assume Maria published the recipe publicly for people to use it share it with others as we are doing here. Good publicity for her work, her book, etc.

I’ve made chocolate mousse using whipped raw egg whites before, and chocolate pudding using cauliflower, but BOILED eggs? That would have never otherwise crossed my mind. Just wrote down the recipe, I must try this :sweat_smile:

It’s a great book!

Yeah. I keep seeing odd simple recipes with eggs despite I make a lot of almost (or truly) only egg recipes myself… I never would have think about this. One day I will try this out (today I have a proper carnivore day so not now :)), it sounds so strange, I prefer raw, creamy yolks, they make perfect pudding and ice cream (not all alone but one day I will reach that, probably) but I need many eggs for those, not good in times when I don’t have many… And I know very well results may surprise us.

Alright, I made it, and I’m sold. It’s actually pretty good, I can only 10% taste the eggs, but I think that’s only because I know they’re in there. My favourite part about this recipe is that it’s dairy-free and uses coconut, but you CAN’T taste the coconut. Usually the coconut flavour in these kind of dessert recipes is so prominent, and I don’t like it, but you can’t even taste the coconut in this. And I can eat chocolate pudding/mousse and still get the benefits of eating eggs :slight_smile:

I made a couple changes to the recipe:
-used coconut cream instead of coconut milk
-used 1/3 the amount of sweetener
-reduced cinnamon by 90% (not a big fan of cinnamon and chocolate together)
-added 60 grams of melted 85% dark chocolate
-put everything through a fine mesh strainer at the end, to get out any potential pieces of missed eggshells/pieces of egg that didn’t blend

It turned out almost thick like ice cream this way, so good :slight_smile:
I think next time, adding some espresso or instant coffee power would make it taste even better.

Thank you for sharing this recipe! I have a feeling I’m going to be making it again and again.

(Tracy) #19

I never keep canned coconut milk or cream on hand so I used unsweetened almond milk. Yours probably tasted better after adding the melted chocolate and using coconut cream. It’s versatile with eggs being the base of the recipe. I may experiment with other flavors.