Does Steak and Red Meat Just sit There in your Colon for 3-4 Days?

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #21

Yes. Those days aren’t much fun, either, especially if I’m on a work shift. Fortunately, it only happens once or twice a month and I’m guessing only when I interrupt my usual eating routine and/or electrolyte/salt intake for a couple days before. Generally, if I stick to my menu, get my water and electrolytes within my normal range, I’m fine.

(Bob M) #22

My hardest times are after fasting for multiple days. Otherwise, I’m good.

Probably depends on how fresh the meat is and whether it’s grass fed or not.

(Ronald Weaver) #24

Ring of Fire …??

(bulkbiker) #25

You got it…! and the Johnny Cash award goes to…

(Susan) #26

I am Keto, not Carnivore, but I find if I haven’t gone for days, drinking a few cups of boiled water will help a lot. Basically like making tea, but no tea bag =).

(Mark Nelson) #27

Hi! :wave: Relatively new to the forums here. Been low carb/Keto in some form or fashion for 6 years. Highest weight 340, now down to 226. Recently started Carnivore for the first time on Nov 7th and been eating 95% GF/F beef with some fish and chicken.

I say all that to get to the point that I’m glad you said how little waste you are producing. Since starting carnivore I’ve noticed a drastic decrease in the amount of waste and how little I actually need to have a bowel movement. I was beginning to get concerned but I was listening to my body and since there was no discomfort or other signs of issues I just kept on.

The only time a movement was similar to what I previously would have considered “normal” was when I binged on some cheese.

Glad to see others with the same lack of waste!

(CharleyD) #28

I too get the mainly water types sometimes too. Always wondered about that.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #29

I recently fasted 48 hrs / 24 hrs eating / 96 hrs fasting. When I ate at the end of that week I got diarrhea a few times in about 24 hrs. I think that was just remnants of what I ate days before getting flushed out, not new food. I didn’t actually have a bowel movement until about 3 days later mostly eating meat. Generally I eat almost all Carnivore and don’t go much at all but I’m never, ever constipated.

Yeah, that old red meat rotting nonsense was just a marketing scam for bowel cleanse herbal detox products that created a lot of gross output, gullible people thinking all the gross was backed up inside them when actually the products created the yuck. Five year old rotting beef, pffft! :roll_eyes: :cowboy_hat_face:

(Ben ) #30

Beer does !!

Poo, like us (humans), is made up of 75% water.

Bacteria make up about 10%. Fibre varies.

Most food transits the body (nose-t-tail some might say) in about 24 hours. So not time for rotting in the colon. However, it is regarded as normal for a meal-to-poop time of up to 72 hours. But the food is not rotting, it’s digesting and being mixed and reformed.

The rotting term comes from the presence of some bacteria that have names that sound like putrification, and that is where the excitement comes in for plant-based advocates, because those bacteria are often carnivorous, preferring meat.

(traci simpson) #32

I also noticed the reduction once I went KETO. On the SAD I would go 2 or 3 times a day everyday!

(Bunny) #33

Not “rot” more like amino acid fermenting bacteria more specifically putrescine and cadaverine from only eating meat can smell like death.

Funny thing is, carbohydrates don’t make us fat!

People will find the above statement rather odd?

It really isn’t;

…it is when you over-eat any calorie, that’s what makes you fat!

Has that Bunny lost her mind? Keep in mind I’m testing your intelligence? Think hard my friends?

References:

[1] “…Dr. Patrick explains, “…a lot of the microbiome bacteria that are fermenting a variety of fermentable fibres start to leave and you actually start to get bacteria cropping up that ferment amino acids.” These amino acid fermenting bacteria are known as putrefactive bacteria. Two products of putrefactive bacteria, putrescine and cadaverine, are best known for literally smelling like death. They are also genotoxins known to damage the DNA inside your colon cells. In the Nature study referenced by Dr. Patrick, the authors write, “…high intake of red meat relative to fruits and vegetables appears to associate with outgrowth of bacteria that might contribute to a more hostile gut environment,” and, “Together, our results suggest venues through which a diet low in fruits and vegetables relative to meats select for outgrowth of putrefactive bacteria, which might help promote colorectal carcinoma.” These findings contribute to an ongoing discussion regarding the potential link between meat consumption and colon cancer. Other studies have focused on heterocyclic amines, which are formed when meat is cooked at high temperatures, nitrates, which are used to preserve processed meats, and N-nitroso compounds, carcinogens linked to red meat consumption and colorectal cancer risk. As the names suggest, there is a connection between nitrates and N-nitroso compounds (specifically, nitrosamine). Connections are also observed between nitrosamine and putrecine, one of the genotoxins mentioned above. But we don’t need to get lost in the science to understand the most important connection at play here. …” …More

[2] “…Between 50–60% of protein becomes glucose and enters the bloodstream about 3–4 hours after eaten." Perhaps 50–60% of protein goes through the process of gluconeogenesis in the liver, but virtually none of this glucose enters into the general circulation?” …More

(Bob M) #34

It’s PUFAs that make us fat.

(Bunny) #35

PUFA is a fat calorie?

(Edith) #36

What is the purpose of your second citation?

It pretty much states that protein does not increase blood sugar, that not that much of it gets converted to sugar, and that it doesn’t really add to the time it takes for the body to process sugar.

The first citation is mostly an opinion piece and the arguments against carnivore only quote opponents but does not give any arguments against what the opponents say about fiber and vegetables, of which there is a fair bit of research.

According to JAMA’s massive associative study, meat consumption won’t increase the likelihood of early death unless it’s combined with at least one unhealthy lifestyle factor, in which case it appears it will.

This was a dumb statement because if you eat vegetables and have an unhealthy lifestyle, such as smoking and drinking, you will still increase your likelihood of an early death.

(Edith) #37

This was very interesting about the addition of seed oils to the human diet.

(Bob M) #38

PUFA = polyunsaturated fatty acid. Causes fat cells to be insulin sensitive, causing you to gain weight. Whereas saturated fat causes fat cells to be insulin resistant, causing you to lose weight. See Petro D’s Protons thread on Hyperlipid. Or this:

Since testing this theory by eating cocoa butter (high in the saturated fat of stearic acid), I’ve become more convinced this theory is correct. Eating cocoa fat causes me to become totally not hungry at all. To the point where I have a hard time eating.

(Bunny) #39

That’s my favorite video by Dr. Eades but they are talking about Partially Hydrogenated PUFA’s (soy bean oil) and Animal Fats (Tallow) and how it effects reverse electron transport, not natural PUFA’s.

Since that video now they are trying make fully hydrogenated PUFA’s and Animal Fats.

PUFA’s don’t do well when you heat them, natural cold pressed organic PUFA’s will not harm you or make you fat or do any of that kind of stuff, it is when you heat extract or chemically extract them or they become rancid/oxidized (see below) that they are bad for the human body.

It is when the PUFA’s are missing electrons that they become bad; oily substances that have missing electrons have a diminished ability to associate with proteins (to achieve water solubility) like fat soluble vitamins and toxins that get stored in adipose tissue.

(bulkbiker) #40

In your humble opinion?