Does my intermittent fasting plan make sense?

(Ruth) #21

This is a really helpful topic. I’ve been doing IF 16:8 or 18:6 several times a week, and I’m thinking of incorporating more OMAD days. I love structure, and the schedule that @MmmBacon created is surely a thing of beauty, however, I was wondering if you folks think that something a little more loosey-goosey could still be beneficial.

So my week would look like, a couple days 18:6, then a couple days OMAD, a day of 16:8, but nothing regularly scheduled, and maybe I’d have weeks where some days I’d do longer fasts and some days I’d do shorter fasts. Just whatever works best with my schedule better. Do you think changing it up regularly would be helpful or is having a set schedule better?

Eventually, I’d like to incorporate longer fasting, but this is a good start for me.

(Rob) #22

Thanks @Ruther. The original driver for it came from Fung & Moore’s book (referenced above), so I won’t take credit for that, but for some members of the forum it may be new to them and I hope it helps.

I can see that it may not be for everyone and we should really eat when hungry, though for shorter fasts that’s probably less important.

For me, as I’m only just starting fasting, at the moment it’s partly a mental crutch that I know when are where I’ll be having my next meal. As I lengthen the duration of fasts (my max so far has been 48 hours), that may change and I may want to have food on hand wherever I am for when I genuinely become hungry again.

I’m also fighting against the habit of buying lots of food and putting some structure around my fasting helps to prevent over-buying and I no longer put food in the bin because it’s gone off, which is better for the environment.

(KCKO, KCFO) #23

I just watched a video by Megan Ramos, on the IDM community site. She said that uric acid can be kept down with lime juice. So I have switched to that, I will be a tad high on uric acid on some blood draws. Since uric acid impacts kidneys and gout, it seemed like an easy switch for better health.

I think your mix of fasting should work fine. All the best on your Journey.

(Rob) #24

Indeed. I have been adding lemon for a month or so now and I definitely feel less acidic even if my urine tests don’t follow (yet). Incidentally, I just found this today…

So lemons are definitely on the menu!

(KCKO, KCFO) #25

Love lemons too, but my point was lime juice has even more healthy benefits if your kidneys and gout are a concern.

(Rob) #26

Sorry, forgot to say that they are treated equivalently in terms of the benefits for your kidneys, so it’s down to whichever you prefer taste wise.