Does Keto just not work for some people?

I posted this on another forum, so I’m not stealing it, and I edited it for to be more appropriate to this place:

"I wish everybody who is not medically unable to FAST for whatever reason, would give it a serious try. I honestly care much less about the primary fat burning that comes from fasting. But secondarily… my focus is reset and that’s a big big deal for this Humble, Phormer Phattie.

Ergo with a newly Found Fasted Focus (AKA Mojo for some of us) :smiley: everything changes.

Changes in my mind and attitude… THOSE changes…for me… are simply the essence of success in this journey.

Fasting is a skill, and needs a little practice. Plus, the results are temporary. So it makes sense to do little ones pretty regularly, Fast 24, Fast 48, Fast 72…the number isn’t par-tick-u-larly important, except that whatever GOALS YOU SET and then ACTUALLY ACHIEVE!..are so EXTREMELY important in terms of finding that missing MOJO. Focus comes and goes, but in this Mortal Coil, we all bees sinners, yo. (So KCKO Keep Calm and Keto On…)

LOSING WEIGHT IS HARD. The people come here mostly have damaged metabolisms. (Deranged) And even though it is possible to fix it in large measure…it didn’t happen overnight. And fixing it isn’t instant either.

We are an impatient people. When I was a kid, I remember turning on the TV and waiting A FREAKING 45 SECONDS(!) for the darned thing to warm up and finally come on. Nowadays, everything is instant on. When I used to eat potatoes, 4 minutes in the microwave was an eternity. We are hard wired by this culture to hurry hurry hurry. Ain’t a good thing, friends.

KCKO people. And don’t be afraid to ask HE who SPOKE, and the universe LEAPT into existence…” for a little help and wisdom for ourselves and our fellow travellers."

Get yourself fat adapted first, then add fasting to your your weight loss/maintenance toolbox.

(Raj Seth) #22

^^ This ^^ +100 :+1::+1::+1:

Except “HE” in the above narrative is actually Jason Fung!

SNORT!!

I DO love me some FUNG!!!

(Raj Seth) #24

every body have fun tonight
every body wang Fung tonight!

(Liz ) #25

After you are fat adapted you should find that “hangry” goes away for good.

(Jamie) #26

That’s the best reason I’ve heard so far for fat adaptation.

(Liz ) #27

Srsly, saving me so much in lawyer’s fees

I’m glad you asked this Jamie, I was kind of wondering the same thing! I’m only 2 weeks in, lost 6lbs the first week & a pound the second week. I’ve not restricted calories, so have had loads, I can’t wait for the magical not being hungry stage!! I didn’t get any keto strips as I’d read on here they’re not always accurate, so I can only presume I am in ketosis, but was wondering about the ketosis breath- does everyone get it? I’ve not had it, but I do drink loads of water, so am wondering if I’m weeing it out instead? I’m keeping carbs under 20g, protein I’ve only kept a vague eye on but isn’t very high, I struggle to get that much as I’m vegetarian, & I’ve had loads of fat… Have others not had the keto breath?

(Miss E) #29

If you get hangry, you aren’t ready for a fast in my opinion but I have been told it passes. Try a fat fast first maybe xox

(Daryl G Jackson ) #30

I started keto December 5th, 2017, at 205 pounds, 5’9" I was considered obese, I am down to 183 and stuck! My goal is 165 to 170. Those last few pounds are so obstinate. But there are those tools such as fasting which I have not gone past 36 hours, but I felt great and could have fasted longer but we had a family event. I am still keto-ing on, my BP is normal now, blood glucose A1C is 5.0. Keto is working.

(Raj Seth) #31

Fabulous. Those last few pounds are going to be slower, I guess. IF could be the answer. I still have 60-70 lbs excess fat - so I’m far from that problem

(Miss E) #32

have you tried glycine and MCT?

(Jamie) #33

It’s like we’re the same person, Jules. Except I can’t say things like wee because I’m American and it sounds weird when I say it. That, and rubbish. No matter how hard I try to make it work. Anyway, I’m hoping in these next few weeks I’ll become fat adapted and start knocking off the weight over the next few months. Keto has gotten easier the longer I do it. The first few weeks was spent trying to figure out what I could eat and then consequently not eating much because I didn’t know what tf I was doing. Probably why the weight dropped so quickly at first.

I think Im in nearly the same spot as you. I lost 7lbs in the first two weeks and in week 3 there has be no change. I imagine my body is in the prep phase before being able to burn fat properly.

(Todd Allen) #35

Water weighs a lot and we can lose or gain it quickly over short periods. We gain and lose fat fairly slowly. Even on a water only fast large men rarely sustain a pound a day of fat loss. One third to a half a pound of fat loss daily is typical for women fasting. Weight loss can be faster but when it is its often due to losing muscle. Having 30% of weight loss due to muscle loss is not uncommon when people aggressively restrict calories without muscle preserving exercise.

It is common when starting a keto diet for a rapid loss of water weight which is then slowly recovered masking the slow process of fat loss. A scale is useless on a day to day time scale and is only of value over weeks or longer.

(Jamie) #36

While I have everyone’s attention…if I get knocked out of ketosis before I’m fat adapted, does it set me back really far? Will it be like starting all over again, even if I get myself back into ketosis quickly? I’m not planning on binging or anything, but I’m going to a birthday thing at a mexican restaurant and I want to drink a margarita so bad. And eat some chips and salsa. Man I miss chips.

(Doug) #37

We are all different, but I have to believe that we do not erase all gains by getting out of ketosis. Frankly, I’ve done it dozens and dozens of times, and the worst thing I can say is that weight loss slowed.

Chips, salsa, margaritas - been there. :smile:

(Renee Slaughter) #38

I don’t think I got it. My hunny is pretty honest and I’ve had no complaints for him. My pee smells though. 5 months in.

(Renee Slaughter) #39

Hi Jamie,I too miss chips and salsa. I replaced chips with pork skins. Good sub. Still cruchy and delicious. Someone here said to ask the restaurant if they make pork skins and use them with your guac ( a personal fave) and salsa.

(Jeannie Oliver) #40

Jamie, firstly, kudos to you for your determination to lose your extra weight before it gets out of hand. I encourage you to not give up on keto, and I say that as someone who has tried just about every other weight loss program and paid the price for my misguided efforts.

The good thing about this forum is that usually we can all agree to disagree on specific points. I say that because I am about to disagree with some ideas on this thread:

(1) I DO believe that it’s necessary to count calories as well as carbs, IF you have only 10 or 20 pounds to lose. If you are eating more calories than your body requires for energy–even if the source of those calories is fat–then you are not going to access the stored fat on your body for energy. You’ll still be in ketosis because you are creating ketones from dietary fat, not stored fat. For example, someone who starts keto with 100 pounds of extra body fat burns a lot more calories just in the activities of daily living than does a person with 20 pounds extra, and so the appetite suppressant effect of eating fat to satiety usually guarantees the heavier person will eat fewer calories that he or she burns–for such folk, calorie counting isn’t necessary–at least, not in the beginning. Not so for a petite woman.

I think calorie counting has bad implications for many of us because in the past we cut calories by replacing fat (which has 9 calories per gram) with carbs or protein (which have 4 calories per gram). That old Calories In, Calories Out model didn’t take into account the fact that carbs and protein stimulate insulin, and insulin is the hormone that causes our bodies to store energy in our fat cells. In other words, not all calories effect us in the same way, but still calories matter.

(2) I disagree with the notion that the keto test strips (used for urine tests as opposed to blood tests) are useless because they are inaccurate. They may be imprecise, but the question of whether they are inaccurate depends on what you are trying to measure. They are not great for measuring the amount of ketones you are producing, but they will tell you whether or not you are in ketosis. As far as I’m concerned, that’s all I need to know–if I’m in ketosis, and I’m not eating more calories than my body will burn in a day, then I know that I am using my stored fat for energy.

IMHO it’s a waste of money and effort to get hung up on measuring ketones with blood tests, for a couple of reasons. The test doesn’t distinguish between ketones from dietary fat and ketones from our stored fat. Furthermore, ketone levels will naturally fluctuate depending on a number of factors (the time of day, our activity level, etc.).

(3) If you find yourself getting “hangry” still, don’t fast (if fasting means going completely without food of any kind). In fact, I agree with the person here who questioned whether you are actually in ketosis if you are feeling hangry. That feeling is a result of the severe blood sugar spikes, followed by low blood sugar–something that doesn’t happen when you are burning ketones.

You can stay in ketosis 24/7 and work up to fasting by tracking your macros for a couple of weeks, keeping carbs to 20 grams or less and making sure that 75% of your calories come from fats. If you aren’t already using an app to do this, get one. There are several good ones that are free. A lot of us use My Fitness Pal–it’s not perfect, but it’s easy to use both on my phone and on the web. The web version allows me to enter my own recipes and it calculates the macros per serving.

Once you have maintained ketosis for a couple of weeks, you’ll be ready to practice what is often called “time restricted eating”–meaning you eat everything within a certain window of time–a.k.a Intermittent Fasting. Many begin by skipping breakfast, or pushing it back to 10 or 11 a.m. Instead of breakfast we begin the day with coffee or tea consumed with a tablespoon of heavy whipping cream (not half and half). Another big help when you first begin fasting is bone broth, which you can buy although homemade is soooo easy and better tasting.

Sorry this post is so long, and perhaps you already know some of this, but I get the impression that you, and some others on this thread, are in need of some of the basics. There is a wealth of information on the web and in books you can get free from a library, but much of it will not apply to you unless you are diabetic or you are an athlete or body builder. A good book to begin with is Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes. I suggest you listen to the 2 keto dudes podcast, beginning with episode 1. The dudes are diabetic, but they are very good at breaking down information and they’re downright entertaining. Dietdoctor.com is also a reliable resource.

I hope all this helps in some small way.