Does exercise really "stall" weightloss?

I’m posting this question here because I think running tends to be more intense exercise compared to biking or swimming for example, even though my question isn’t specific to running. I keep reading that excessive exercise can hinder weightloss, but I always figure that applies to people who did not exercise at all–the point being they shouldn’t all of a sudden start running 6 miles a day. What about people who were active to begin with? If they stay at the same active level or increase it, will that hinder weightloss? I don’t see why it would, but I do kind of wonder.

In the 2.5 months I’ve been on keto, I’ve continued and maybe slightly increased my normal exercise routine, which consists mainly of climbing indoors and outdoors, running (I’m not a great runner but I do some minor hills and my long runs are 6-7 miles), swimming, a small amount of lifting, and hiking. I’ve also done a couple of longer hikes (one really major one) and after each one, I gained weight! Maybe it was just water weight, but I wonder if the increased exercise is really making me gain weight??

I’m 5’7", started at 158, went down to 154, went back up to 158, now I’m above that bc I cheated on my birthday :frowning: I’ve only had a total of 2 cheat days but I have been VERY hungry and eating a lot lately, so I haven’t lost weight. Perhaps the reason you shouldn’t exercise too much is because of the increased hunger?

(Erin Macfarland ) #2

Exercise is good don’t stop. You’re not doing too much, you shouldn’t think of exercise as helping you lose weight because it “burns calories.” Exercise improves your insulin sensitivity, helps build lean muscle tissue, reduces inflammation, improves mood, sleep, and keeps your bones strong. Don’t worry too much about your weight or feeling like Keto isn’t “working.” Sometimes it takes a few months to really see improvements. So keep it up!

(Pete A) #3

I second @Emacfarland. I wouldn’t fret it. You can always mix it up based on how you feel. Your weight fluctuations are normal. How about you are gaining muscle?

You are saying you “exercise too much” Play with that thought, challenge yourself to a routine that makes you happy, and Keto on!

PS: sometimes less is best.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #4

I’ve never seen where exercise hinders weight loss. I’ve seen that on Keto it’s not necessary to lose weight. And I’ve seen where on your adaptation phase you may want to cut back until your body adjust to burning ketones instead of carbs, simply because it can be physically exhausting process on its own. But never have I seen where exercise can actually hinder weight loss.

Even if it’s not necessary to weight loss on Keto, the heart health benefits to exercising alone should convince people to do it. Especially if they are doing keto for health reasons.

(KetoQ) #5

Climbergirl –

There is a grain of truth in your claim. From my interwebs research and personal experience, here is what I believe may be happening when exercise appears to stall weight loss:

Exercise often will make you hungry, and more importantly, cause the muscles of the body to take in and hold additional water and nutrition to feed and repair itself.

Now, even if you eat a healthy meal after exercise, you will shortly:

1. Gain back water weight. (Contribution by Capt. Obvious)
  2. Salt intake helps body rebalance sodium and other minerals, which results in short term water retention/weight gain. (The body needs to replace salt, minerals and electrolytes when you’re losing water weight on keto through elimination + exercise. So don’t skip on salt.)
  3. I’ve also read where the body will replace lost fat, short term, by holding on to water in its place.

That said, if you’re exercising and eating right, I believe you may be actually losing weight, and I mean fat, even when the scale is not moving or going up. There are just all of these other things happening in the background that can affect your weight.

So keep exercising if you enjoy it. And make sure to let your body properly recover.

Good luck.

Don’t confuse “weight loss” with fat loss. If you are gaining lean mass at the same rate you are losing body fat your body weight won’t change. But rest assured you are winning the battle. Body composition change is a beautiful thing, far more ideal than merely a change in the number on the scale.

(Briana Rose Lucero) #7

Very true information and the best explanation I have heard! I also work out constantly and I am lifting weights. I stalled just after Christmas at 66 lbs lost but after I started working out religiously on the 2nd week of January I am now gaining weight and it is driving me nuts. I know every one says ignore the scale and measure and I do and the results are now that my pants are getting tighter again and my stomach seems swollen but I know I am also building muscle. I do IF and bone broth to break fast. Then I eat lunch and then later in the day dinner also, no cheats. So…a bit frustrated currently but I hope my body adjusts again and the weight starts dropping again.

(Omar) #8

Interesting

I never heard that but I noticed weight loss stall when excersising.

however excersising is always has health benefits