Doctor who recommended Keto says it isn't great as a long term diet

newbies

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #145

Crédit Suisse and Swiss Re have cottoned to the fact that life expectancy on the Western diet is now declining, which wreaks havoc on their life insurance model. As Dr. Lustig says, “You know things are really bad when bankers are actually calling for a new tax on something!” (referring to Crédit Suisse’s proposal of a stiff tax on sugar).

(Alec) #146

Yay! Expert support for my raspberry habit! :+1::rofl:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #147

Give France another twenty years for Coca-cola to finish penetrating the market, and then tell us how thin the French are. They’ve been metabolically healthy so far, because their sugar consumption has been low. Once they come over to the dark side with the rest of us, they’ll be screwed. Like the rest of us. Remember that diabetes and obesity tend to run about 20 years behind sugar consumption. As Taubes points out, the Japanese in the 1980’s were eating sugar per capita at the rate of Americans in the 1880’s, and they had the rates of diabetes and obesity that the United States had back then. But now they are eating as much sugar as the rest of us, and they are paying the same price we are.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #148
  • No U.S. dietary guidelines to tell us to lay off the fat and eat carbs

We should ask the Doctor to go back to the Paleolithic and come back and tell us just what the diet really was! :grinning:

(linda) #149

Here are some studies on multivitamins —

The French govt. seems to have seen it coming though. As I understand it they place restrictions on how much sugar/salt/fat fast food companies can use in their products. Whether or not it’s enough (I suspect not) only time will tell but it’s got to be better than the free-for-all allowed in India - saw a documentary that showed the ‘cheese’ in some pizza hut products was actually a mix of starches & emulsifiers or some crap - no cheese at all. Gak. The difference in nutrients in the French Vs the Indian versions was pretty remarkable.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #151

Glad to hear it. The French can be pretty smart when they want to be. :fr:

(Marisa Huffman) #152

Will you explain to me the correct way to do a carb up day.

(William Craig Jeane) #153

Wow! You put this so WELL and it fits me to a T! Thanks.

(BuckRimfire) #154

Not certain, but I think by that he meant that your health status and chance of future disease are back to normal, if you don’t return to a high-insulin diet. Kinda like how if you quit smoking, after a couple of decades (or something like that) your health statistics return to being those of a non-smoker. If you resume smoking, or resume a high-carb diet, you’ll be back on the bad trajectory.

(Rosemary Easter) #155

So glad I saw your post as have just read this article and am feeling the same concerns as you.

(Jane) #156

So the author has gotten wealthy off 6 books he wrote on the paleo diet and all his research at Colorado Syate is focused on paleo… so he might be a TAD biased against keto, ya think?

:wink:

(Jane) #157

Long read but fascinating look into carnivore eating and the lack of health problems with it - including scurvy!

http://www.comby.org/documents/documents_in_english/stefansson-diet-adventures.htm

Written in 1935!

(Helen Taylor) #159

Don’t forget that the answers Dr Google gives is only the ones other people think are right.

(Bunny) #160

I am curious about the kidney stone thing. Do you eat or drink any lemon juice or other fruits since going keto and does anything else you eat or take have anything called citrate in it like medications? Or did you cut out foods high in oxalates?

And do eat more calcium rich foods like cheese, milk or supplements, medications etc?

(*Tame Those Ghrelin Gremlins) #162

You should read the book , The Obesity Code” it actually explains it very well the very subject you speak of. One thing that stuck in my mind that they brought up…why do we call our first meal of the day breakfast? It’s not because we are supposed to eat it soon as we rise. (SAD) would have you believe that. The word means “to break fast” or to break your fasting. You can choose when that happens. I never feel hungry when I wake up. My “breakfast” isn’t usually until 1 pm. :grinning:

(Consensus is Politics) #163

My first kidney stone was a few years after retiring from the USAF. I wouldnt say I was eating better, but my gf at the time was a Filipinas, and she cooked a gluttony of various meals. The only two traditional foods I didnt eat were black pudding (pork blood) and balute (sp?) (duck egg with half grown embyro).

There was a lot of taro root and greens. From what I remember taro greens are a serious health risk if prepared inncorrectly. Iirc it has to do with very high levels of calcium oxalate.

Then there is cassave root. I refuse to eat it because it contains high amounts of cyanide naturally. And is very deadly if not prrpared correctly. I heard of a story when a young woman killed her entire extended family at a gathering because she didnt know about this. Roughly 200 people at a family reunion. I hear that its not uncommon, but not at that scale.

I never saw thr first kidney stone. I didnt know what it was until it passed. Funny thing with everystone i remember seeing, they all looked like medival implimants of torture, having splikes and blades coming out at odd angles. But were painles traveling the las 7 inches or so. But on the way to the bladder were at maximun effect! :flushed::face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Over the next few years they came with increasing regularity. Not always painful enough to put me on the floor in the fetal position, although that did happen once every couple of years.

So I eventually decided to just dump the advice of doctors as they were obviously just regurgitating consensus and not science. “You drink too much iced tea… too much soda… too much junk food… your tap water contains x, y, or z.” That last one was probably the reason for some of them though. The Phoenix valley is notorious for its hard water.

I began to do my own research. I found at least three different types of stones, with different causes. It would have made a great kidney stone book if only i took better notes. :thinking:

I basically came to the conclusion that I needed to inhibit the growth of crystals. image

This isnt one of mine, just an image I found on the net. Im not sure of its scale, but mine looked very similar. Think of a water melon seed. The smaller white seed. Same shape, flat teardrop shape. Then at the wide end give it a crown a razorblades sticking out like this image. Like previously stated, Medieval.

Question: how to safely lower the bodies ph? Could it even be done? Everything I read on the subject stated the bodybwould resist this. I read something once (dont remember what this was exactly) that there are life threatening conditions that effect the ph, making lower and another making it higher, even though only slightly, not a good thing. So body ph needs and will fight to remain at its normal ph (i cant remeber at the moment what that is right now, im think its about 7.4??)

But I made the attempt to change it, even if only slightly and temporarily. Gallons of lemonade. But not just regular lemonade. Instead of fresh lemons, that begin to rot so you cant stock up very much, I used crystallized lemon juice. Everytime I would get a glass of water I would have the equivalent of half a lemon in it, sweetened with non sugary sweetener (which may have been a confounder). And I did begin to notice a difference.

Several months later my stones became less edgy. More spherical and smooth. There was also a color change. Previously the stones were slightly pink, and indeed looked stone like. As if made from sandstone, or quartz. With this modification they began to turn dark brown and were missing the razor blades. And though usually larger than the others, had relatively no pain when passing. Just a slight tickle at the end of the tube it exits where it meets the skin. Annoying tickle, like an ant walking on the skin, and would end when the stone made it into the bladder (assuming, based on it egressing shortly after in urine).

This was one of my last stones passed before going Keto. By this time I had been adding the crystallized lemon/lime to everyting I drank. Notice the lack medieval weapons protruding from it. It passed eaily and smoothly. It may as well have been an air bubble.

As far as I know I have never had any meds or supps that contained citrares. I almost picked up a supplement once (potassium citrate? Sodium citrate? That claimed it was better than the supp without it. But the dosage was so low in the supp I wanted I figured it was better to just sprinklie it on my food (I think it might have been sodium now that I think anout it. The supplement was around 500 mg but the sodium part was about 80 mg or less. Not wotth bothering in my view. You make me wonder now. Should I take Citrates?

There was alo a confounder I think. I never saw any data of this 10 years ago, and it may have been coincidence. The increase in stone creation happened very close to the same time I began using high dosages of Vitamin D3. For several weeks i was taking 40,000 IU a day. At first it seemed great. No more allergies, no more colds or flu when it went around. Over all felt better. After about two months I began feeling a bit ‘off’. I just didnt feel right. I looked up VD3 toxicity, and could only find one study that said 60,000 iu per day for a month would be toxic you a young child. Age/weight wasnt given. I figured I should be safe from toxicity being a lot larger than a child, and looked into it further.

Steve Gibson from the ‘SecurityNow!’ podcast had been doing a lengthy n=1 with Vitamin D3 and sunbathing in the nude. He was testing himself everyday to see the effects and discovered that after 30 minutes of miday full exposure his body would create 30,000 iu of D3. Diminishing returns were dramtic at that point.

So from that I gathered I could have been slowly toxifying myself. I lowered my dosssge to 30,000 a day and felt great ever since.

But something began to occur to me. Could the exceesive VD3 be increasing the kidney stones? I have heard someone joke about taking too much VD3 everyday and turning into quartz. But why quartz? And some of my stones did look like quartz. Coincidence?

To be continued…?

(Bunny) #165

Did a post here on it also:

(traci simpson) #166

Maybe there is something in switching up the diet every few months. Keto and Paleo are similar in nature and they both promote a healthier lifestyle so maybe after six months you switch from one and then six months later you switch back to another ? who knows?