Doctor who recommended Keto says it isn't great as a long term diet

newbies

This is (sadly) often true, but please refer to original post for the theme of this thread: OP was told by the doctor who recommended Keto (and who wants to see OP’s diabetic husband continue on it) that he didn’t want her on it long term.

(linda) #124

So sorry!!

(karen) #126

Looking back at the OP, I see the Dr’s problem with keto was “developing serious deficiencies”. Which, when you think about it, opens a whole new can of worms. I am going to make the assumption that he Assumes - without evidence - that people will develop deficiencies because a keto diet doesn’t necessarily follow the RDA of vitamins, especially if it’s ZC. This is a big gray area. Are the RDA guidelines for vitamins any more ideal or uncorrupted than any of the other crap nutritional guidelines we’ve been given? And even if they are applicable to the average bear, do they apply to people who are eating a completely different macronutrient profile?

(Empress of the Unexpected) #127

I’ve noticed that many Keto experts do recommend a multivitamin. Dr. Phinney, among others. He calls it cheap insurance, but obviously wants you to get the bulk of nutrients from food. In one video he recommends berries every day, as well.

(karen) #128

I’ve always taken one, just kind of covering my bases … (or if I’m being hard on myself, hedging my bets with superstition). I kind wonder if Phinney et. al. aren’t doing the same thing - in the face of no rigorous large studies on nutritional needs in ketosis, better “safe” than sorry. ??

(linda) #129

The value of taking a multi-vitamin has been debunked for years. Supplements are a multi billion dollar industry with no discernible effects being reported by the people that take them other than a false sense of health.

(Jane) #130

Would be interesting to read some studies that back this up.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #131

That’s the feeling I get from that particular interview, that’s it’s a “cover one’s butt” statement. (I said that to my doctor once, and boy, talk about an awkward silence…) It is true, there have been numerous studies linking early death to vitamin intake. But I’m not sure the controls are in place. The studies admit that people taking vitamins might have been worried about their health for years, and taken the vitamins for medical conditions. So who knows? My functional medicine doctor says everyone should take Vitamin D3 and B12, which are hard to get the older you are. The B-12 should be sublingual. I have had my D level tested - and I am in the mid-normal range. I supplement and get baked out in the SoCal sun. Next doctor visit I will have my B12 level tested. It is frustrating, for every one study proving x, there is another proving y. Moderation in all things…

(karen) #132

… except processed carbs. :smile:

(Empress of the Unexpected) #133

Ur funny - I knew the minute I hit reply that I was in trouble. :rofl:

The Dutch ride bicycles and/or walk everywhere. They take public transportation and are not sitting in their cars for hours on end like we do in the US (major cities). For 2 years I worked in SF and used public transportation. I would walk to the bus stop and then walk from the transportation center in SF to work. I would take BART home and walk about a mile to my house. That was the healthiest I’d been in a long time. I then got a job that required me to sit in traffic for 1-1.5 hours one way and I gained back all the weight!

(Empress of the Unexpected) #136

I used to walk to work and back home for lunch. Five miles per day. Now I work from home but manage a mobile home park so get to walk/inspect a couple of hours a day. My daughter visited the Netherlands a couple of years ago and said walking was so scary - she was in total fear of being run over by bicyclists.

(Jane) #137

The Dutch also have articulating desks so they can work standing up. If an employee requests one (they are pricey) the employer has to accommodate.

So even when they have desk jobs they aren’t sitting all day!

I traveled with a group of Dutch and Swedes for 2 years on a project. Unless my hotel room was at least 4 floors up I took the stairs. Some European hotels we stayed in didn’t even have elevators.

We always walked to dinner. They would say “it isn’t far” and grin at me. And I would eye them suspiciously and say “define not far”. And then crack up. No way was I going to be labeled “the lazy American”. I was going to keep up if it killed me!

I would also add Danes to the mix. I have lived in Copenhagen for two years and they all biked everywhere and looked very fit. The Scandinavian brand of fit, that is tall and statuary. I hate them all, ha ha. They do regularly eat their rye bread, which is VERY dark.
I must say that in all Europe, with the exception of UK, obesity is rising but especially in town you seldom run into someone obese.
So back to the OP I actually think of keto diet as a medicine for metabolic disease and its many consequences all over the body. If your insuline behaves optimally ( Kraft test) then don’t diet. Lucky you. Listen to your body and do what’s intuitively right. But only Kraft’s test can ultimately rule out hyperinsulinic tendencies. It’s a fairly easy test to take. The 2kd have talked often of this test, it’s a very important to determine where your insuline is at.

(Consensus is Politics) #139

Actually I’m beginning to think my kidney stones were caused by insulin. Indirectly that is. In a hyper insulin state of the carbohydrate diet, the kidneys hold back on a lot of filtering. I don’t remember everything I read about it, but it makes sense.

Look at what happens with our electrolytes on a ketogenic diet. We lose a lot of salt because the kidneys aren’t blocking it.

I never did get my stones tested to see what they were made of. At this point I don’t really care. I’ve been stone free for 10 months now. It’s been more than 14 years since I’ve gone this long without a single stone. Ain’t no way I’m going back to that!

That is excellent! I think so many of us are finding the many benefits of going keto, myself included! It’s fantastic!

There was research early on in the 70s, now I don’t remember the name of the doctor, it was mentioned by Dr Kraft in the interview. Anyway he was a neurologist and found a strong liaison between kidneys and insulin. That was at infancy of research on insulin, it had just been discovered. So yes definitely. And congratulations.

(Kaiden) #142

To be fair, Doctor Who is Gallifreyan. They have a different physiology.

(Gloria Cairns) #143

I’m not a doctor, but I would like to tell you about the first time I learned about this diet. My daughter was 13 when she had her first seizure. It took almost 2 years to manage her Epilepsy (pure hell), and since a number of medications weren’t working for her, she was encouraged to go on the ketogenic diet by her Neurologist. This proposal was never a short-term solution for her.

This diet has been around for a long time and many children, many wonderful growing bodies in need of the right amount of nutrients, are on it to reduce their seizures. Epileptics of all ages around the world utilize this diet. Many might take additional supplements and this is definitely something you can explore with your doctor if you feel this diet is still right for you. At the end of the day though, I would be shocked if keto started to cause you harm without you noticing. The body doesn’t usually “suffer in silence” when there’s a major deficiency taking place. A good compromise might be regular checkups and blood work to ensure you’re still on the right track.

(Aimee Moisa) #144

That’s true, I didn’t consider that. But his con is so high he can eat anything.