Doctor who recommended Keto says it isn't great as a long term diet

newbies

(Aimee Moisa) #102

Yeah but, the more people that are afraid of getting sick the higher the insurance companies can make their premiums. If diabetes is something that everybody has a chance of getting then diabetes is one of those things people will need to get insurance for.

(Aimee Moisa) #103

If consumers think that their only worry is very rare cancer and very rare accidents then they aren’t going to buy the expensive policies that cover multiple trips to the doctor and multiple blood test and multiple other kinds of tests every year. My guess is the markup on premiums is very high. The only reason I have medium to high level Insurance policy is because of all the doctor’s appointments I need because of my high blood pressure and tendency towards pre-diabetes. But now that I have lowered my high blood pressure and have lowered my tendency towards diabetes I will not worry so much about the cancer that might get me in the next 20 years so I’m going to decrease my insurance policy plan because something that might happen doesn’t scare me so much as something that’s happening right now that, oh by the way look I can fix it by myself. That doesn’t mean it’s a good idea to decrease my insurance policy because I could get sick with cancer tomorrow and be screwed but the insurance companies know that if a worry isn’t front-and-center then people aren’t going to plan for the big thing. That’s why people go to the ER for a head cold instead of going to the doctor every 6 months to make sure that they stay healthy.

Honestly I do not think people worry about getting diabetes UNLESS they have a relative who had an amputation or dialysis. My father is diabetic and so is his entire family and I did not worry about it until I spent the 10 minutes before his bypass surgery with him and then I was really more afraid of heart disease (and I am over 50),

People are terrified of cancer, they are scared of strokes and heart disease in that order. Most do not know enough about diabetes to be scared. They think worst case they will have to take a pill or shoot up. Think of the last diabetes commercial you saw. Most of those people are out driving, going to Sunday dinner and jumping into puddles with their grandchildren! Does not look so bad to the average person

The fear of disease will not go away so quickly.

Plus many people will choose the blue pill anyway (matrix) and will go back to their medicated twinkie lives. Think how many people smoke or use nicotine in some way? Can you think of a more obvious health risk? Many of those are under 40, started after big tabacco admitted their product was addicting and cigarettes carried skull and cross bone warning labels. How stupid can you (the smokers) possibly be?

(Raj Seth) #105

Our bodies have evolved for millions of years. Our current humnoid form is generally thought to be about 3 million years old. Processing of nutrients is something we evolve to do. We can adapt over 10s, 100s or 1000s of years, but takes millions to evolve.
From the current evidence, seems like the recent change in our dietary make-up does not fit our evolutionary dietary pathways. Another confounders - the current economy and establishment forces are vested in keeping us in our current poor state - so real information is suppressed

Conspiracy theorist you say? Well - I say follow the :moneybag:
Pharma industry - keto needs 0 drugs
Medical industry (doctors) - keto destroys 90+% of medical spend (metabolic diseases - obesity, diabetes, alzheimers, CVD, cancer, neurological disorders etc.)
Agriculture - The current farm industry would get demolished if we cut our carbs from 60% of daily to 10% of daily consumption.

That’s several $ trillion of GDP.

Only in the short term. But they’re in it for the long term. For every dollar spent on insurance, the companies typically pocket 20 to 30 cents. If you spend more money, it just means they get to justify raising their premiums. They spread the costs and add a fee for creating the collective pool. If you made 20 to 30 cents on every dollar of medical costs, would your goal be to minimize those costs? The only incentive to minimize costs is competition.

Just imagine what a non-profit insurance company could do…

In “the old days”, insurance used to be about contributing premiums to the pool at the same rate one contributes risk to the pool. If you have a lower risk, you get a lower premium. However, with so much insurance these days being “no fault” and just spreading the costs more or less equally, that concept is dwindling away. Those that can’t afford their risk (e.g. pre-existing conditions, habitual reckless drivers, habitual over-eaters, habitual over-drinkers, etc.) get subsidized by everyone else.

That’s why single-payer healthcare (e.g. ACA or “Medicare for all”) needs to force everyone to join. It can’t succeed unless the low risk individuals are forced to subsidize the high risk individuals. For example, the average 55-year-old man has six times the medical costs of a 21-year-old man. For “real” insurance based on risk, all of the 55-year-old men should be paying six times the premiums of all of the 21-year-old men, on average.

I agree that all these processed and precooked foods have got to go, and it’s quite obvious that there’s been some cover up.
I am not as radical as many in this forum about carbs because, being an Italian who lives in France, I am in touch everyday with people who thrive while eating them.

(karen) #108

I think it’s not carbs, per se. It’s a combination of raising the carb content in our diet astronomically, plus all that nasty processing and perverting of real foods. When you add in the metabolic damage of having eaten this way for most or all of our lives, even healthy natural carbs in moderate quantity become an issue.

(linda) #109

The the statement of Keto is not good in the long run - is just conventional thinking, Doctors are not familiar with this diet - unless they are oncologists who have used it to treat kids with seizures. I think it’s important to look at the individuals specific goals and evaluate their ongoing progress and let that determine if staying on it is valuable or not.
One size does not fit all- KETO may, in fact, not work well for some.
The sooner I took control of my own health - the better. The longer you wait for the medical profession to catch up to your personal needs - the more frustrated you will feel. I educate when I can - not out of anger but to share information and learn from others, Don’t forget these doctors work for YOU!

(Jane) #110

I read about some epilepsy doctors treating adults with a keto diet - those who didn’t respond well to medication. Sorry - no linky- just remember coming across it.

(Alec) #111

I bloody hate it, but you are so right. What to do but KCKO?

(Wanda) #112

Hi I got my bloodwork back last week and all my previous bloodwork said stage 1-2 kidney disease, this time they were back to normal I’m 65. EVERYTHING changed for the better :grinning: I have lost tons of inches and 34lbs. Since jan./18

(Aimee Moisa) #113

And then there is the epigenetic damage I have caused to myself eating this way, and most likely passed on to my poor kid. Hopefully one generation of eating crap doesnt ruin my blood line forever.

Here’s what puzzles me the most: France is the second biggest market for McDonald and the second biggest consumer of pizza (they eat double amount of pizza than Italians) in the world. And yet the obesity rate and the diabetes rate are comparatively low. I’m not sure why that is. In town especially I only see skinny people around. Are there people who get sick? sure. But it’s not the epidemy of US and UK.
So carbs and processed food have for sure a role but it’s not so clearcut as you guys make it. I am observing this because I would like to know why I have got so obese myself, all of a sudden. But I haven’t yet found solid answers. Luckily I have found solid answers on how to cure myself, and that is the most important thing. But I think most americans are taking conclusions based on their culture that don’t apply to other cultures, despite us sharing the same biology.

Really pleased for you Kay2. Fantastic news indeed!

*used to have issues with my heart prior to keto.

My ticker has been on point since Nov. 2016

(Jane) #117

Congratulations!

Has ANYONE on this forum EVER read about a change in diet having such dramatic effects on their health and blood work for so many people???

I didn’t think so.

(Jane) #118

The only city I’ve been to in France is Paris and it is such a melting pot it and popular tourist destination that is might now be representative of the local population.

Belgium sticks out in my mind of being the thinnest population eating a high fat, high carb diet. Everyone in the Netherlands is also thin, but they tend to a much lower fat diet than Belgium.

I went to Bruge and Gent also so away from Brussels and I felt fat walking around. Beer is cheaper than bottled water there and they eat a lot of butter, bread, cheese etc. so high fat and maybe high carbs - or at least moderate carbs.

I don’t know the answer but would like to know. I am 59 and when I was a kid obesity was rare in kids and not near as common in adults.

My n=1 observations on what has changed in the last 50 years:

• We played outside all day and TV was limited to a few hours after dinner. No video games
  • Coke was in a 6 oz bottle and a treat, not a normal drink
  • We ate whole foods cooked at home - going out to eat was a rare treat
  • We ate 3 times a day with no snacking
  • The consumption of sugar and high fructose corn syrup has skyrocketed because it is now added to so many foods to increase cravings so you buy more and the food companies sell more. The correlation between consumption of HFCS and obesity rate is almost 1.0
  • Family only had one car so we walked and bicycled to a lot of places.

I would be interested to see if the consumption of sugar and HFCS in Belgium mirrors the USA. I doubt it. They also walk everywhere but are able to because their communities are set up that way.

(bulkbiker) #120

Really?.. have you seen the amount of dairy they consume? Milk and Karne Melk (sour milk) is a staple drink and the amount of cheese they put away is amazing…

(Jane) #121

Yeah, they do eat a lot of cheese and dairy. Forgot about that. They are all so tall and thin - I’m jealous.

The ones I have been around tend to eat two small cold meals for breakfast and lunch and then a large, lengthy (3-4 hours long) hot meal for dinner. They don’t eat a lot of junk food or snack on stuff, but they do seem to all love French fries - with mayo - YUK. About the only fried food I’ve ever seen any of them eat.

They are very health conscious and active, but their ideas of healthy foods has nothing to do with carbs. They just don’t eat junk, or much sugar, or bread/fry anything, or eat heavy gravies. Their meals are fairly balanced between bread, meat and veggies.

(bulkbiker) #122

More like an “eat real food” kinda diet… yes that’s exactly what I noticed… apart from the fries with mayo and ketchup I think they call it blood and bandage… my dutch was always rather crap…