Do I need to eat all my fat

(Dan) #1

As I’m quite a big bloke my fat macro is around 170g which I am finding it hard to do without upping my protein at the same time.

I have read that I do not need to eat all the fat if I don’t feel hungry. Is this true?

I have tried making some fat bombs recently just to try and up it but again these have protein and carbs which take me over.

Thanks

Dan

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #2

No, you don’t. Keep your carbs low and your body will use your dietary and body fat as fuel. You’re a big guy so you have plenty but you can only use so much in a day so your appetite should tell you when it needs you to feed it some. Eat until you’re comfortably full and don’t pack in more fat to meet a fat macro.

I had fat bombs when I first started but once I was able to stop snacking I stopped eating them. I want my body to use as much as it’s own fat as possible.

(Lazy, Dirty Keto 😝) #3

This. When I first started, I was obsessive about meeting the perfect macros due to the information I had read about protein / gluconeogenesis; however, since joining the forum and reading up on it more (thanks to all the helpful users here), I no longer worry about protein. My main focus is to keep myself under 20g net carbs per day. Some days I have a 50/50 fat to protein ratio, sometimes 65/35, etc and I still manage to drop weight and stay in Ketosis.

(Dan) #4

Thanks guys, that has been my biggest thing was trying to meet the macros. Some days I don’t even get close to my carbs. Protein is no issue for me.

The fat is the hardest but glad I’m doing things correctly. I am losing weight so I’m happy.

The fat bombs were purely to get my fat up although I don’t really like them :grin:

(hottie turned hag) #5

Basically this.
No aid in upping fat just to reach some macro goal! None at all.

This is FINE! The fewer carbs the better. Def don’t try to reach some carb macro goal, totally unnecessary.

(Dan) #6

Thanks BlueViolet

Most of my carbs are coming from salads at the moment.

I did find that light beer is fairly free of carbs too which is nice whilst the weather is warm.

As long as I can make some low carb soups and things when it starts to get colder it’ll be good.

Really appreciate the input

Dan

(Full Metal KETO AF) #7

If you’re just starting out especially I would nix the beer. It may fit your carb limit but metabolizing alcohol stalls ketosis till the alcohol is processed by your liver. If you drink enough it will cause an insulin spike that will lead to storage of glucose and dietary fat so even with keto food you won’t be utilizing it like normal. This is of course affected by quantity so if you do have some beer I would limit the amount.

There are others who drink alcohol and have success with keto so it’s your decision as to what works for you of course. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Susan) #8

This is awesome, and you are just fine, if you are doing your 20grams or less of carbs and losing weight!

The fat bombs are like a crutch to get your body used to the change and giving up sugar. At least that is what they were to me, and I got rid of them a while ago too, I found that I had to get rid of all sugar substitutes and when I made them without, they didn’t have the same appeal anyway. My hubby ate them up, even though he doesn’t do Keto, he just kind of eats everything…

Best wishes for your Keto journey =-).

(Dan) #9

I had only one can on a Saturday evening. It was just nice and cool and refreshing.

I don’t tend to drink much anyway so I think maybe one every couple of weeks should be ok. But thank you for the info I’ll keep it in mind when I weigh in and make sure it’s not affecting anything

(Dan) #10

Thank you.

I didn’t like the fat bombs and didn’t really have any sweet cravings l. Well occasionally but I haven’t had anything my will power was good at the time. I’ll keep the fat bombs in the freezer just in case

Dan

(Full Metal KETO AF) #11

Absolutely Dan, I was concerned that it was more. It sounds like you’re doing well. I didn’t comment on the fat because the others said it.

Fat is like a lever. You don’t need to push fat, just add a bit if your energy is low, and you can cut back to burn your own fat instead when energy is good. The high fat levels recommended in macros are to get your body used to what has been a secondary energy source becoming primary, fats. This leads to fat adaptation where fats and ketones are your bodies preference primarily. Of course your metabolism takes the easiest sources of energy first, the path of least resistance. That order is Alcohol, Carbohydrate and then Fat which has the highest caloric amount per gram but is more work for your body to access. That’s what limiting alcohol and carbs is about, to force the metabolism of fats. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Dan) #12

Thanks David,

Only been on here less than 24 hours and the amount of help I have received has been amazing.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #13

This chart illustrates that you eat less fat when in wt loss mode. Also as you lose weight you need less calories to burn, yours + food. Some larger guys lose weight faster than those that aren’t so big. Not sure why! But if that happens just stay in touch with your hunger and energy and adjust.

I’m not going to up my carbs as the graph shows, as I approach maintenance weight. I am intensely carb intolerant.

This article explains some protein levels that are easy to estimate: https://blog.virtahealth.com/how-much-protein-on-keto/

This chart is particularly helpful. I don’t track fat or protein. Actually not carbs either because I tracked so long and I most days eat simply I know I’m less than 20. If you are new you should track carbs.

More questions, just ask.

(Dan) #14

Many thanks for the daddyoh.

Unfortunately I’m off that scale. I’m 6ft 4 and 267.

According to my macros I should be (sorry I’m English and don’t do oz)
170g fat
26g carb (which I never even get closes to)
108g protein

However my app is tied in with my Bluetooth scales so it changes as my weight goes down.

Really enjoying it so far.

I have a really good butchers which is good picking the right protein with a good amount of fat. Sausages are great too as they have a good amount of fat and they use very little filler so the carb amount is good.

I love all seafood so that is good for me. I used to buy a pack of salmon (which is two pieces) and eat both of them. Now I can only have one to keep in my protein macro and I have the other piece for lunch the following day so it works out cheaper for me.

All in all I don’t feel hungry at all I think my stomach is getting used to smaller but generous portions ( lots of salad) and no sugar.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #15

Dan

Awesome. Salmon and Sardines are my go to Omega 3 sources. Beef prefered over pork. Pork is prefered over chicken. Bacon is not pork. Bacon is life.

(Dan) #16

Thank you.

Can’t beat bacon, although our standard bacon over here is much different to yours so less fat.

I was lucky enough to make my own a few months ago and that was amazing. I’ll try to make more as it is much better than shop bought

Sorry I couldn’t reply yesterday as I can only post 19 times as I’m new

(Bunny) #17

YES!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #18

The 20 g/day of carbohydrate is an upper limit, not a target. You can certainly eat less, without ill effect. The advice about protein is to keep it reasonable. You want enough in order to avoid losing muscle and bone density, but not so much that your system has trouble dealing with excess ammonia. (That’s a fairly wide range.) The fat, which has a negligible effect on insulin, is the safest source of energy. You want enough to satisfy your hunger. Some people find protein more satiating that fat, others the reverse. You’ll have to experiment a bit, most likely, to find which category you belong to.

Note that we advise eating to satiety, not to a caloric target. The reason is that your body will adjust its energy expenditure to match the intake you give it, and if you set your calories too low, it will cut expenditure to match. This makes eating a caloric deficit in order to lose fat a moving target, and if you push too far, you risk losing muscle and bone density, because the body hangs on to fat as a reserve, well into the process of starvation. If you give your body more energy than it really needs, it will increase its energy expenditure to a great extent, but there is a limit, past which it will start storing fat again for a rainy day. Eating to satiety prevents both over- and under-eating.

BTW, that Virta graph that Eric posted is a made up example of a hypothetical 5’2" woman who embarks on a ketogenic diet. It is intended to illustrate how, by eating to satiety, your food intake automatically adjusts. At the beginning, someone with excess fat will automatically eat less by eating to satiety, which allows the body to burn off the excess fat. But as we progress, our energy intake has to rise until our excess fat is gone, and eating to satiety automatically increases, until we are getting all our energy needs from our food. Do not take those figures as guidelines for how much to eat; they are made up.

(Dan) #19

Thanks guys.

I’m fine with the minimal carbs which is good. Some days I’d like a sandwich or bowl of chips (fries) but I’m pretty good at keeping away from it.

I find the protein easier than the fat but I like to plan my day ahead the night before so I know exactly where I am and what I can have if I still feel hungry.

Although at the moment I feel satisfied after every meal and don’t need snacks or any additional foods

(Janet) #20

Three Biggest Keto Mistakes (net carbs, letting macros drive protein, adding too much fat) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mqHJh3xEWU Dr. Westman explains these three myths. He is a LC Clinical Researcher and director of a clinic for 20 years.