Do I have to exercise in order to completely lose belly fat?

(Arie1985uk ) #1

So I was around 107 KG at my worst time (236 lbs).
Today I’m 87 KG (191 lbs) so I lost 20 KG (44 lbs).

I definitely shrinked in my size of my belly, I can wear L shirts instead of XL shirts, but I still feel like I have a belly fat …

I’m 38 years old, around 183cm, and with 87 KG that makes my BMI 26 or even 25.9ish … I know it’s not 25 yet and below … but is there a way to lose the entire belly fat even if it’s not much now?

In terms of exercise I like cardio, walking/running/jogging - I don’t like other types of exercise but just wondering if perhaps the fact I do 0.00 exercise on a daily basis (sometimes play a bit with the kids) - then maybe that’s the reason for having a bit of belly fat left?

Any idears or suggestions? Thanks in advance.

(Bob M) #2

Not really. I exercise 5 days a week now, typically:

Monday - 50+ minutes of body weight training to failure for many exercises (1/2 body)
Tuesday - same as above for other 1/2 body
Wednesday - 35 minutes or so jogging with my dog
Thursday - off, try to fast at least to OMAD, sometimes to 36 hours
Friday - 1 hour, 20-30 minutes of body weight training to failure, whole body
Saturday - off, eat normally
Sunday - 35 minutes or so jogging with my dog

Eating normally = 2 meals a day.

Went from 43 inch pants to 34 inch pants.

I still have belly fat. In fact, I’m primarily belly fat. Not much fat elsewhere.

It’s partly genetics, but I think there must also be (possibly intertwined) something I did to these fat cells.

Some would say it’s PUFAs in the fat cells, but there’s no way to test that theory.

(Arie1985uk ) #3

PUFA = ? (abbreviation?)

(KM) #4

Poly unsaturated fatty acids. It’s a chemical term for a kind of fat. Pufas are found in high concentration in industrial oils, things like corn oil and soybean oil.

(KM) #5

How long ago did you lose the weight? It does take a while for your body to reconfigure itself and (I’m hoping) excess skin to tighten up.

(Arie1985uk ) #6

It was quite recent I’d say, so is there a chance it’s just a matter of time?

(Peter - Don't Fear the Fat ) #7

What does that mean? I don’t want to be rude … but IMO carbs and sugar are not normal!

(KM) #8

Yes, I think so. Of course I guarantee nothing, but our bodies do tend to keep reshaping themselves even if we’re not losing any more weight.

(Arie1985uk ) #9

I think he probably means “Exercise = Off” i.e. he doesn’t exercise but eats nornally like any other day…

(Peter - Don't Fear the Fat ) #10

Also, remember you can’t target where you lose fat, you may lose weight but your body will decide from where.
Usually visceral fat first …

(Bob M) #11

“Eat normally” = two meals a day, keto. That’s “normal” for me.

(Joey) #12

@arie1985uk The premise of your headline question is flawed.

Exercise is a marvelous way to keep so many essential human body functions up and running. It performs wonders on so many fronts.

But losing weight is rarely one of them.

Practically speaking, you cannot exercise away the weight-gaining effects of a carb-rich diet.

Change your diet, and you can readily get your body to return to its healthier weight zone (based on genetics, age, and a little bit of muscle burning effect). Much of this will be evident in belly fat - since that’s where many of us store our extra adipose fat.

But exercise has a minimal, if any, meaningful effect on weight loss.

If you’re trying to lose body weight (e.g., belly fat, thighs, butt) through exercise, you’re likely to be disappointed.

In fact, building muscle tends to add to weight … not subtract from it.

:vulcan_salute:

(Arie1985uk ) #13

I am not looking to build muscles, just to lose the last remainings of the belly fat (there’s not much) … changing my diet is already done…

I’m just wondering if by “exercise” i.e. not lifting weights - but running / jogging / walking, cardio only, nothing else - will that help with that goal or not?

(Karen) #14

Exercise is good for cardio, muscle building, osteoporosis and mood enhancing. i generally exercise daily and i do a lot but fat is lost in the kitchen…doing the right exercises can help in toning up the body.

Don’t beat yourself up if you have belly fat, guys who are very lean showing their abs will be eating and exercising a very strict regime to get them. Not all women are that impressed … a little belly fat and a little muffin top is nice to snuggle into and hug :wink:

(Joey) #15

Understood … and what you’re hearing from a few of us is that, while all that cardio is extremely healthy and great for your overall health, the short answer is “no” … it won’t make a meaningful difference in reducing belly fat. Sorry! :man_shrugging:

(Chuck) #16

The exercises are great for your body as for as straight and endurance, but it isn’t going to do much for burning off the fat, or even weight loss. Weight loss and fat burning is done by way of balancing your metabolism. You need to eat the correct foods in the correct amount, you need the right amount of sleep and activity, and to burn the fat you need to have just the right amount of deficit in the calories your body takes in comparison to the amount your body burns for activity and just staying alive. And another extremely important thing is keep your mental and physical stress levels down.
I am 75 years young I fast on average 19 hours a day, I walk, do light resistance training, my house and yard work. Over the last 12 years I have tried every single thing possible to lose weight and keep it off, fasting and eating moderately low carb is the only thing that has worked for me. Do I have a flat stomach? Not yet but I am still slimming down, and I don’t have excess skin because I have slowly lost my fat in such a way that my skin trims down a long with the fat I am losing.

(Arie1985uk ) #17

Thanks for all your answers, these are very helpful, thanks.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #18

Most likely not. Exercise benefits the body in many ways, but fat loss is not one of them. Do the arithmetic: 1.0 lb. = 454.54 g. And 454.54 g of fat × 9 kcals/g = 4,090.86 kcal.

How many kcals can you burn in an hour if you exercise really strenuously without stopping for the entire hour? Even assuming your body were willing to burn all that fat in one go.

Even the most rabid proponents of exercise have to admit that the studies show no weight loss benefit to exercise. Keto, however–that’s a different story!

(Peter - Don't Fear the Fat ) #19

I really had no idea! …… another natural assumption that is totally wrong.
I love it when that happens :grin:
Must admit I tried for years. I ate less and exercised more, surely that must work? It’s what we’ve been advised :man_shrugging:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #20

I know. It’s almost as though if it’s an official recommendation, we should do the exact opposite.