Dizziness

newbies

I’ve been on the Keto eating plan for two months and have had days when I feel quite light headed and dizzy. Not sure if I’m dehydrated or if I’m lacking in some nutrients and might require a supplement. Any thoughts?

I never experienced this issue myself, but know I’ve seen post on here from others who have. Hopefully some of them might stop by and provide some insight as to what they experienced. … But I would say, definitely make sure to get enough fluids to stay hydrated, and also be mindful of your electrolytes. Salt being one of the main things folks don’t always get enough of and it can make a huge difference.

If you’re interested, here’s some info on this, as well as a recipe a lot of us here use. From @Brenda :slight_smile:

(Alex ) #3

I would try taking it easy, and more fluids before trying supplements, and also maybe just have a lie down / sit. Could be a lot of things, blood sugar, blood pressure, medication, dehydration - I’d be considering a doctor if it’s randomly coming and going and your diet has been consistent.

Thanks so much for all your suggestions. Do I find the electrolyte aids in a health food store? Ultima and Ketoaide

(Full Metal KETO AF) #6

Make your own ketoaid. Search the site for it. Oops, I just saw that @Digital_Dave already posted a link!

I don’t know about using electrolyte packet, but @Ketoloco seems to love them.

I just eat well, take a 400mg magnesium glycinate supplement at night. I salt my food well and eat fermented veggies that are salty almost everyday. I swallow about 4-5 grams of Himalayan Pink Salt chunks when I feel anything from a headache to muscle cramps or physical burn out and always try drinking more water as well. That usually keeps me feeling right. :cowboy_hat_face:

I placed a link to the KetoAide above :point_up:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #8

@Annie5 The recipe for ketoade is under the Recipes category. Two spellings: ketoade and ketoaid, both will work.

Your main problem is likely to be salt. Try to get more, and if that doesn’t fix things, then investigate potasssium and magnesium supplementation.

As far as sodium is concerned, several recent studies have shown that we are healthiest when getting 4-6 grams/day, which translates to 10-15 grams/day of table salt (NaCl). Keeping salt regulated helps keep magnesium, potassium, and calcium balanced, as well.

If I don’t drink plenty of water. Or have plenty of good old-fashioned salt – I feel dizzy

I like how Dr Barry explains it – “ if you’re eating food and it tastes bland then add some salt that’s all it takes.”

Beef broth or even stock is good. Dill pickles / cucumbers, feta cheese, Olives also have plenty of salt.

Remember your body cannot store sodium it needs a fresh supply all the time.

Sodium also helps regulate the other essentials like potassium and calcium etc.

How is your resting heart rate? If you have inadequate sodium your body will even ditch valuable water in order to maintain adequate sodium concentration. This will make your heart rate go up, even dramatically so at times. All easily fixed with salt

(Carl Keller) #10

Light-headedness was a small problem for me in my second day of keto. Increasing my salt made it go away and I haven’t felt that way since.

If you don’t want to make ketoaid or bone broth, just adding 3/4 of a tsp of pink himalayan salt to a big glass of water (or low sugar flavoured water/cordial etc) is good for a quick boost to your electrolytes. I usually have a couple of glasses throughout the day.

This was my first post on this forum and I’m so appreciative of all of your kind and helpful responses. I think I have a plan! So thankful that I found this generous group of Keto-minded individuals.

Yes Ma’am, you will find that this forum is full of people just like you describe. Great bunch of folks :slight_smile: … Just reading through the post, you will learn a lot. … And if I may suggest, check out the ‘What did you Keto today? Part Deux’ for great ideas/possible meals. :slight_smile: One of my favorite threads. Link below