Discussion NOT about losing weight

(Keith) #1

I’m new here but I’m interested in discussing topics not related to losing weight.
If Keto makes me fatter I’m still doing. I couldn’t care less about my weight but I do care about my skin health, keto’s anti-cancer properties, my sleep patterns, energy levels, and the other benefits of the diet.

Where can we discuss this? Seems like everyone is focussed on weight (even though body fat is a better indicator of health).

Would love to chat about keto and sport, keto and skin health, etc.

In the progress section, there’s a Non Scale victories thread- you could start a discussion in there?

Yes to NSV section, but also in general you’ll find the new folks very focused on weight and the veterans very focused on health (with weightloss as a nice bonus).

Check out Keto Complaint Department, the Health Sub Forum,and also What Has Keto Done for You?

And if you have a particular question/chat, you can do a search for that subject (skin, weightlifting… whatever) and see what threads pop up. There’s a lot on here!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #4

Wow! A newcomer who’s not here for weight loss. I love that.

Welcome! As far as I’m concerned, feel free to post all the topics you like, wherever you like! Here’s some virtual bacon to welcome you: :bacon::bacon:

(Keith) #5

haha. Thanks.
I’m 42 and just starting Keto. No weight issues but I have suffered from some stomach/colon issues and have had “bad” skin since I was 14-15.
Not even sure if Keto is the answer but I’m trying this diet as it appears to be working. Once I cut out sugar, grains (almost all direct carbs) my skin totally cleared up, I started to have much deeper sleeps, and I’m less jumpy and more focused.

The difference in my skin (which wasn’t too bad but a source of constant frustration) was huge. The thing we hear about diet having no influence on your skin is plain wrong. My change was in 24-48 hours and I’d been living with this problem for almost 30 years.

There are a number of other things I noticed (good and bad) that I’m documenting but I never weigh myself and that’s not important to me. As long as I feel and look healthy I’m fine. Later on I’ll do body fat percentage checks and full medicals but the signs are all there that I’m healthier now.

My son (19) has terrible spots- they’re definitely worse on high carb, but he can’t quite bring himself to avoid all that yet… I was the opposite- skin fine, came out in spots nearly as big as his when I started keto! There I was trying to convince everyone it was healthy to eat lots of fat, & I looked grim! But after about 4 weeks it settled down, & it’s been fine since, I guess it was just the change in diet, or maybe a detox.
I also used to get lots of colicky spasms, really painful at times, hadn’t even noticed that they were gone until I had a croissant for a ‘treat’ on holiday, & the next day I had them again, dawned on me I’d been free of that for 3 months! I have so much more energy now too!
Really glad that you’re noticing improvements, & so quickly!

(Keith) #7

I think the key point is that there is no single diet for everyone. My gut flora is unique, same as yours. So we all need our own diet. The only way to find out which things work for you is to experiment. But it has to be an all or nothing approach, I believe.

My brother runs almost entirely on foods that I avoid now. He’s vegan and eats tons of wheat, soy, oats. He has zero skin issues but he does complain about tiredness a lot. His gut is better able to process these foods even though genetically we are very similar.
I have always eaten lots of meat and tried to minimise wheat, rice, soy. But it was only when I completely cut them out that I saw marked improvements.

(Sophie) #8

If you’ve always had skin issues you may want to research iodine supplementation.
There’s a thread about it…

https://www.ketogenicforums.com/t/the-iodine-thread/24788

(Jane) #9

You might enjoy this thread:

And this one:

(Beth) #10

Hi Keith,

My husband and I went on a VVLC/keto protocol (AIP) to try and help him with his IBS. He also had eczema, reflux and severe allergies. I guess you could boil all these symptoms down to an overhyped immune system.

Anyhow, most of his symptoms dramatically reduced or went away entirely. We cut out all grains, sugar, fruits other than berries, nightshade veggies, eggs, dairy. (he also lost 22 lbs even though that was not a goal). Then gradually reintroduced things. It continues to be a work in process.

My own aches and pains diminished on this WOE. Our lab work was amazing too.

Glad to hear you are doing so well and good luck. And some more virtual bacon: bacon:

(Chris Robertson) #11

I started keto to help reduce flu like symptoms that have been present for many many years but the Dr. can’t figure out the cause. I also suffer from severe joint pain and was hoping it would help with that too. It’s helped a little with some of my health issues and not at all with others. I’m 5’11" and weigh 12 stone (168lbs) so it’s not like I particularly need to lose weight but I do find what is happening with my weight and body comp to be interesting.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #12

@irish Keith, I’d love to hear what’s working for you on your new way of eating, and it would also be interesting to hear about what isn’t working. All grist for the mill . . . .

I stopped having bad acne in my twenties, but would always get blackheads and fairly frequent pimples. Since going full-bore keto a year ago, my face and scalp get far less greasy, I haven’t found a blackhead, and I’ve developed perhaps as many as two pimples. :grinning:

On the other hand, I haven’t gone blond or gained the four inches I was hoping for, yet. :frowning_face:

(Sarah Slancauskas) #13

I’m also here for health benefits other than weight loss. I’m at 18% body fat and get a bit lost with the weight loss topic sometimes. I’m particularly interested in the brain benefits and cravings control (sugar).

(Keith) #14

Hillarious.

I cut out wheat, oats, rice, beans, pulses, legumes, and milk.
I also avoid any form of sugar (glucose, honey, fructose, etc).

I’m eating lots of meat and I try to go for the fatty stuff. Tons of veg. I eat a small amount of sweet potato ( I used to eat a lot). I put butter, ghee, olive oil, coconut oil, coconut milk, avocado oil, walnut oil on everything.
I’d like to cut back a bit on the oils as it can make my stomach feel a bit queasy - but there’s no irritation like I used to get.

I reintroduced yoghurt (greek full-fat) and noticed some spots starting to appear. I will retry that again later.

Wine seems to have no effect. Don’t drink beer but it never agreed with me.

My skin is in the best condition it has been since i was 12 years old probably. I do CrossFit and lots of yoga - no noticeable degradation in performance.
I think I’m a fat burner.

You guys are making me appreciate my similar NSV’s. Thanks! Additionally, I have experienced:

• Drastic reduction of inflammation. Severe arthritis for last 30 years - gone.
  • Regrowing hair in my 30 year bald spot. Wut?!?
  • Pre-diabetes reversal – A1c reduced from 6.0 to 5.2
  • 0% occlusion in major vessels at the age both parents were when I lost them to heart disease
  • Elimination of statins
  • Reduction in anxiety

(Consensus is Politics) #16

Ok, not weight loss stuff. How about this then.

For the past few years I’ve been passing kidney stones on average about once a month. Not always big and painful. But there have been a few that left me laying on the floor in the fetal position. Not nice at all.

Started keto Aug 2017. Since then, not a single kidney stone. Coincidence? I THINK NOT!

Here’s a complete list of things I’ve noticed…

• HBa1c went from 11.8% to 5.8%
  • daily BG stays in the 80’s for the most part
  • hair growth. My shins and the front of my thighs have never had hair. It’s slowly starting to grow now. Feels like a cactus when my legs brush up against themselves while I’m sleeping :persevere:
  • I have this “growth “. To me it looks almost like a mushroom. I had my urologist look at it. She said it’s just a mole. Nothing to worry about. Ugliest damn mole I’ve ever seen. Over the past ten years it slowly grew in diameter to about and inch. Since starting keto, it has lost most of its mass. At least 2/3’s of it is gone.
  • about six years ago, a tumor was discovered on my left kidney. It was discovered with an MRI while I was being examined for my kidney stone problem. When it was discovered, it’s size was about 2 inch in diameter. It was re-imaged several times in that first year, never changed size (whew!) and since still hasn’t changed size. I haven’t had it images since starting keto. I’ll report on it once I have it imaged again.