Discovered the perfect Mcdonald's keto meal

(Laurie) #25

Wow, when I used to go to “town” frequently I always stopped in at A&W, Wendy’s, Burger King, or McDonald’s and ordered “just a beef patty” or “just two [or more] beef patties.”

Sometimes they would ask for confirmation to make sure they heard me right. And sometimes they would ask whether I wanted seasoning salt on it (apparently some people order a beef patty for their dog and don’t want the salt). Sometimes they would have to ask someone else how to ring it in.

But they never got it wrong, and it cost way less than an actual burger with bun.

(migorstmarseille) #26

That’s my go-to lunch. McDonald’s and Wendy’s do it best IMHO. I get weird looks from fellow diners, but oddly enough the employees say things like “wow, that looks great!”

Well, yeah, it is!
:laughing:

Any suggestions for ordering?
What do you like to get?

(Chris) #28

Never pay full price for just patties!

(mole person) #29

For a very inexpensive but satisfying burger i like a McDouble in a lettuce wrap (so no bun) and hold the ketchup, plus add an extra patty. That third wee patty brings it up to a full 1/3 pound of beef but is much, much cheaper than ordering a Quarter Pounder which is less meat. If you are not as cheap as me then the Angus’s are the really nice burger at McD’s. The Mighty Angus Original in a lettuce wrap “hold the sauce” (sub in mustard or Mayo if you like) has bacon, lettuce, tomato, cheese, and caramelized onions. It’s very good. If you want an egg meal go for one of the breakfast sandwiches. You have a choice of ham, bacon or sausage for your meat and it has cheese. You can add tomato and lettuce wrap (hold the bun). Again, there is nothing stopping you from asking for an extra egg or meat or cheese if you like.

Another option is just go a la cart. Burger patties are cheap, and you have a choice in sizes. The small ones are well under a buck each so you can stack them, but the Quarter Pounder patties aren’t expensive either and I like them a bit better. Once again, you can have the Angus patty, I’ve never done it though and don’t know the price, but it would be even nicer. You can also order Round eggs (basically hard poached), sausage patties and bacon (I assume the ham too, but I’ve never done it). All keto options.

Also, if you like your food as fresh and hot as possible you can always ask for the food straight off you grill. It might take an extra minute or so but it’s nicer. Just tell the cashier to put an “ask me” on it for “right off the grill”.

Not all stores do really nice lettuce wraps. There are two McD’s in my town and one takes a gorgeous huge piece of lettuce and wraps it so it can be held like a sandwich when you eat it, and the other just puts two tiny pieces of lettuce, one on the bottom and one on the top, so ymmv.

What did you Keto today? Part Deux!
(mole person) #30

The sandwiches at McD’s are always made to order. They don’t ever make a bunch and have them sit there. What they do, however, is make the meat and eggs in batches and then keep those in warming units until needed. But they don’t keep them even in those for that long, they toss them if they aren’t used when the timer goes off. Still, they do lose a bit of their heat over that time so if you want your meat as hot and fresh as possible ask for it “off the grill”. I wouldn’t do that for the eggs though, as it would take a while and not be worth the tiny difference.

AH! @Ilana_Rose! :bowing_man: :bowing_man: :bowing_man: I feel like one of the initiated, now! :man_student:

I had a huge supper last night, and wasn’t planning on eating today, but ALL I WANT TO DO is go to McDonald’s and try this!

And I was SO PROUD of myself for saying, “hold the cheese”. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

You are an artist! I am truly impressed. :bowing_man: :bowing_man: :bowing_man:

Okay, this may be silly, but I am genuinely excited to have this information. I think I’m going print this out, and someday this week go to McD’s, and try some of your suggestions (IF NOT ALL!).

(You should have released one of these a week, so I could pace myself.) :wink:

Only my extreme social anxiety. :grin:

But you have made it sound so simple, I am emboldened to try! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks again. This is GREAT! :+1:

(Zenjen) #32

Yesterday i went to the mcdonald’s and i wanted to try a burger without a bun (or a la cart) but the waitress looked all confused and she impudently said that they aren’t making a la cart for anyone. So i have no other choice than ordering a ceasar salad and chicken legs :slightly_frowning_face:

(mole person) #33

If you ask for it “a la carte” they probably won’t know what you’re talking about. Just try asking for a beef patty, either small or quarter pounder. I’ve never known of a McDonalds that wouldn’t sell them. As someone said above, people order them for their dogs all the time.

(mole person) #34

Haha…I used to work at McDonalds so we learn all the tricks. One more thing you can customize at McD’s is you can always order anything MORE cooked than it normally comes. So if you like your bacon extra crispy, your nuggets extra crunchy, your fries extra crispy (those latter two are obviously not keto but just for examples), whatever, they have no problem adding anything back to cook a few more seconds. You cannot, however, do the opposite. They are simply not allowed to cook anything rarer. So don’t even bother trying to get runnier eggs. :frowning:

They might be keto if they’re extra crispy. Right? :wink:

No problem there.

(migorstmarseille) #36

You can get McDoubles for $1.29 each. Just ask for them without ketchup. Take them off the bun and voila!

However, I order quarter pound patties, which are on the ala carte menu. They’re usually around $1.25 per patty. If the clerk says they “don’t have that”, politely tell them “it’s on the ala carte menu”, and most will seek out their manager to figure it out. Oh, and if you’re in one of those newer, self serve touch pad McD’s, don’t bother. Go right to the register. Ala carte patties are not on the menu but I hope someday they are.

Good to know, thanks! :+1:

(Omar) #38

you can toss the bun but not the oil.

I have digestive troubles with oils.

I do not know what oil they use

Think I may do my homemade cheeseburgers like that from now on. Never thought to use the meat as the buns lol

(migorstmarseille) #40

I take four lbs of 80/20, spread it out in a 9x13” baking sheet, set the oven on 350 and bake it for 20 minutes. By that time the “meat sheet” should be about 3/4 it’s original size. Drain the liquid off, put cheese slices over the “meat sheet” to your liking (my son doesn’t like cheese, so I have to leave real estate cheese-less), bake again for about another 3 minutes to melt the cheese. Pull from the oven, let cool for about 5 minutes, and cut with a pizza cutter to your preferred size. Easiest faux fast food burgers I’ve ever made!

(bulkbiker) #41

what no bacon?

(migorstmarseille) #42

No, but now that you mention it, I’ll have to add that to the next batch!

Here is a breakdown of ingredients and macros for their menu items:

On Saturday I paid £8 for a bun-less burger and some salad in a restaurant.

(Becky) #44

New to me: 1/4 lb beef patty, just the meat ($1.50), sausage patty ($1.50), GRILLED chicken breast ($2.00). All in the same container please. Yummy meat mountain!