Diet isn't working

(carol labue) #1

I’ve read everything I’ve found about keto diets and have been on it for over 2 months. I initially lost about 10 lbs very quickly and have since gained 5 back. I’m disabled and don’t exercise vigorously and I don’t eat that much as I’m always pretty full. I rarely consume more than 12gms of carbs a day. Mostly eggs, full fat cheeses, and organic poultry. I eat spinach salads with zero carb drsg, tea and coffee with erythritol and all of it is organic. Years ago I lost 65lbs on Atkins but not sure I could stomach one more protein shake. I’m not very heavy but my daughter is getting married soon and I’d like to look more fit. Any suggestions?

Try dropping the cheese and increasing fats like fatty cuts of meat and fish, butter, animal fats. All to satiety.

(Cindy) #3

Carol, if you’re thinking of keto first as a diet to lose weight (although you’ve also said you’re not very heavy), then you might need to modify your expectations. Keto will improve your health, but that takes time.

The only other thing I might caution is to make sure your salads aren’t more than about 2 cups of greens/day and don’t include a lot of other vegetables. Carrots, tomatoes, onions all have relatively high carbs. So just because it’s “salad” doesn’t necessarily mean low carb.

(carol labue) #4

I make salads with green shredded cabbage and fresh spinach and use keto friendly dressings. I read every label.

This is depressing.

Thanks for the response though. I’ll try to figure it out. I may just go off for a while. I miss eating fruit.

(carol labue) #5

I was a vegetarian but started eating skinless, boneless poultry and fish. Any time I want to coat it, I use almond flour and

only cook in butter, olive and coconut oil. I’ll try keeping cheese at a minimum but thought it was a good thing because it’s all full

fat with no more than 1-2 carbs per serving. I’ve really been diligent.

My reflux is better and my breath is horrible…which I remember well from the Atkins diet but I’m still getting no results.

Maybe I just need a break and to re-think if this diet is for me.

hank you for the input.

(Cindy) #6

That’s a shame, Carol, but then, not everyone likes the keto way of eating. You have to find something that’s sustainable (and works) for you!

(Carl Keller) #7

Hi Carol.

If you have plenty of weight to lose, there must be some reason your body is not willing to let go of the fat.

It could be that you are stressed and your cortisol is high or maybe you are taking some type of medication that affects your cortisol or insulin? Maybe you are eating too often and there’s not enough down time between meals in which your body can access fat storage? Or maybe you’ve lost inches but not pounds? Or maybe you are just too close to an ideal weight and your body is not comfortable letting any more fat go?

I would take a good look at other factors before you decide to throw in the towel, like how do you feel when you eat this way? Has not eating wholesome, organic foods improved anything in your life?

(carol labue) #8

Some good thoughts. Thank you. What I love about the diet is that I’m rarely hungry. I have to remind myself to eat sometimes.

Perhaps stress is elevating my cortisol levels and I just read that hypothyroidism can be a factor as well. I’m also 65 and often

wonder if a body is more resistant to weight loss. I’ve got to re-think a few things.

(Carl Keller) #9

Indeed. There are good things that keto does for hypothyroidism even if you don’t notice it on the scale:

Chronic inflammation also distracts the immune system which can contribute to autoimmunity, a common cause of hypothyroid (1).

Additionally, this style of eating encourages a healthy metabolism by burning off excess fat and stabilizing blood sugar levels. Without going into too much detail, a ketogenic diet simply enables the body to function at a much more efficient level and this may allow for a more balance production of thyroid hormones.

https://drjockers.com/ketogenic-diet-hypothyroid/

And full fat cheeses … almond flour … just might be some carb creep or weight blocking. Cut them all out for a week and check back.