Diet Coke and fasting

Do you think Diet Coke interferes with weight loss during extended fasting?

Dr Berry says some people can and some people can’t. He has a friend who fasts with diet coke.

(Joey) #3

@Tex I would strongly encourage you to read neurologist Dr. David Perlmutter’s “Brain Maker: The Power of Gut Microbes.”

Spoiler alert: clinical research shows that artificial sweeteners really mess up your gut microbiome - which has lots of adverse implications.

A far healthier long-term solution would be to get yourself out of the habit of craving sweet taste and move on. Food for thought. :thinking:

I am quite sure it’s about calories in my case but others have various experiences regarding various substances. I surely wouldn’t even drink it when I just had a meal let alone when I fast but again, it’s me.
I would worry about my health way more than my fat-loss.

(Allie) #5

Whether it affects fasting or not, my focus is health and that crap is too toxic for my body. As to the question, some yes, some no, see for yourself if you want to, but maybe so some research and decide if you really want to.

(Bunny) #6

Eeek!

BTW: I have heard radio talk show Doctors
say “it takes around 30 gallons of water to remove Coke/Pepsi or Cola drinks from your body” (per Dr. Bob Martin, MD)? That’s one cola drink?

I usually try to water/salt fast during my non-eating days but I’ve had a couple of days that I’ve been caught out late at an event and decided that I would break down and drink a diet drink instead of eating the pop corn and candy like the others with me.
I still did well with the weight loss, but maybe screwed up any autophagy benefits of my effort. I’ve been trying to align my fasting days to ones that I’m not going to be out like that.

(Susan) #8

I eliminated all sugar substitutes from my daily food intake in June and now I only have any on rare occasions (like for concert nights I have a diet pop with vodka) and if I were to make the rare Keto desert on special days like Christmas, birthdays or New Year’s Eve.

So for fasting I always stick to water and plain coffee/tea or herbal tea and sometimes do only water fasts (I am doing one of those atm).

(Jon Addison) #9

The year is 2020 and there are those still consuming aspartame?

@JonAddison

LOTS!
In my case i will keep diet coke for some celebration.

(Jon Addison) #11

I had to stop it back in 1998. It was destroying my eyesight. Aspartame turns into a type of formaldehyde in the body. Sorry to tell you this but just like Santa Claus, we all need to come to the truth.

Are you sure it was the aspartame? Who told you this? Because I have been drinking diet coke for decades- it was my goto drink - and my eyesight was not affected by it.

(Joey) #13

Pick your poison. :skull_and_crossbones:

Thanks to modern science, so many choices! :roll_eyes:

(Jon Addison) #14

Wow… here we are in 2020. It is like the Twilight Zone. Is this really happening?

Let me phrase it another way: millions of people are drinking diet coke, and if there were known eye problems with it then it would be taken off the market. Experiments done with saccharine and mice supposedly resulting in cancer was shown to be bogus because the mice were given a dosage that would represent a truckload of saccharine daily for a human being. Nobody ingests that much besides the fact that these were mice who dont resemble humans metabolism enough.
In the meantime and after decades of drinking diet coke and seeing well, I have stopped drinking diet coke simply because I dont want my insulin production to be stimulated. And from what I am learning since going keto- REAL SUGAR is the villain which is killing and maming people.:mask:

Chanterella…You’re absolutely correct. It’s the most researched chemical additive in the world and it isn’t harmful. My question was whether it would interfere with weight loss. I don’t need judgement by people who believe the internet over real science. Thanks for supporting that.

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #17

Artificial sweeteners FTW ! :slight_smile: lol

I really don’t care for diet coke though. I typically drink Gatorade Zero. During fasts, or whenever else I feel like it. At home though, or with dinner, Shasta Diet is the freaking Bomb !

BTW, I’m not one of those people who go by hearsay, or “how things seem”, but rather, from firsthand experience (always had to learn the hard way :wink: and I have zero problem with artificial sweeteners. Might I die of cancer someday ? Sure, and so might any one of you too, regardless of your food choices.

(Jon Addison) #18

Its a free country, drink all the aspartame you like. It actually works out as a benefit in many ways. Doctors with mortgages in gated communities with kids going to college will benefit.

Lol. The safe amount of aspartame for me is equivalent to drinking a case of diet drinks a day. I’m not saying it’s the best thing for your body, but studies made based on 100x the normal dose are agenda driven.

(Jon Addison) #20

This one here is not “peer reviewed” nor industry approved but food for thought:
http://mpwhi.com/aspartame_study_female_rats_developed_visible_tumors.pdf