Diet Coke and fasting

(Joey) #21

Um, then perhaps diet coke should be taken off the market because it is stimulating insulin production in millions of people? :wink:

@SomeGuy
Ha!! :mask:Then they would have to take almost everything off the shelf that is prefab!! All those products with sugars added! The sauces and the soups and all the rest.

(Joey) #23

Sounds like we’re in full agreement :heavy_heart_exclamation:

@JonAddison
Please dont forget that this study was done by a medical doctor and these same doctors have been telling us for decades that butter and eggs will kill us. And I am a medical doctor myself so I should know.:joy: Just take some studies with a grain of salt- ok? Rats and humans really have different metabolisms. Chocolate can kill a dog, right?
Oh gee- i just remembered- in the peds hospital in Germany where I worked, they forbade a coca cola machine. They sold apple juice and mineral water in the machine but cola was forbidden. I was always baffled by this because I grew up tall and strong on cola. Some things are simply overdone. Unless a child has a vitamin deficiency or something an occasional cola wont kill him.

(Ian) #25

Back to the OPs original question.

I have not seen any studies that indicate diet coke or other similar products interferes with weight loss. There are so many confounding factors, as with anything in the nutrition world, that it is also a difficult question to pin down. The only potential concern that sounds plausible to me is the potential to maintain a sweet tooth and carb cravings which may result in more cheat days and carb drift, which could stall weight loss.

A systematic review and meta-analyses of randomised and non-randomised controlled trials and observational studies regarding the association between intake of non-sugar sweeteners and health outcomes, suggests there was little or no impact. However, I do note that confidence in the reported results was considered to be limited due to shortness of the studies and limited number of participants.

https://www.bmj.com/content/364/bmj.k4718

I personally drink Coke Zero and it has not caused any issues with weight loss. Also I have seen no change in blood sugar or ketones after drinking one or even two cans (the later as an experiment), so I have concluded (based on my n=1 experimentation), that this specific drink does not result in a significant change in insulin (based on the assumption that if the artificial sweetener triggers a significant insulin response it would have seen some measurable impact on these blood markers).

If anyone else has seen any studies on artificial sweeteners and weight loss or decline in health indicators, I would appreciate any links. The use of non-nutritive sweeteners appears to be a very emotive subject with many hysterical claims, such as aspartame causes cancer or the acidity will affect your blood pH and kidneys. Your stomach acid is generally more acidic at a pH1.5-3, compared to coke at pH 2.5. Therefore, while Coke and other acidic drinks such as fruit juices may etch your teeth enamel, they are very unlikely to affect your blood pH.

Thank you for responding to my original post!!!