Did my first blood ketone test - need help with making sense of the results

(German Ketonian) #1

I got a 2,5 mmol/L at 7pm roughly 30 minutes after dinner. According to Phinney and Volek, that means I am at the upper range of nutritional ketosis, ranging from 0.5 to 3.0.

Question 1: Can conclude from that I’m in deep ketosis?

Question 2: I am feeling quite well and get consistent energy levels throughout the day, although my hunger has been upregulated by the ketogenic diet. Does this give any hint or method or extrapolation that my body uses the ketones effectively? I still spill plenty of ketones through my urine, 3 months into strict keto.

Question 3: Relating to question 2, am I fully keto adapted or is this process ongoing for months or even years as PHinney and Volek point out when they look at athletes?

(Megan) #2

I just took my first blood ketone test too! :smile:Testing buddies! I got 2.8! I haven’t eaten yet today, except my BPC this morning. I’ll be interested to test after eating.
I’ve been keto for about a year (low carb off and on for years) but stalled for a while and I wanted to make sure I actually was in ketosis! I have been pretty strict the last few days. Usually, I do the lazy keto thing. Good to know it’s working as long as I’m eating what I’m supposed to.
Sorry I didn’t answer your questions but I’ll be interested to see other people’s answers.

(German Ketonian) #3

Funny, I ate 6000 kcals today and still got those results. Does fasting usually induce higher or lower ketone levels compared to a high-calorie, ketogenic cheat day? I think we need help from the “oldies” here! :slight_smile:

(Ernest) #4

It just means you are in Ketosis. Avoid chasing ketone readings.
The number will fluctuate through out the day. It’s low in the morning most of the time.

What are you eating that’s still keeping you hungry?

I’m not sure if there’s a test for “adaptation”.

(Mark) #5

I’ve been all over the place lately. I had a hard time even getting my strips to register but about a month in I finally started to see some results. I also just got a blood meter and my results seem to fluctuate wildly. The strips indicated a mild level first thing this morning but after a quick workout and eating a bit I got 5.4. other readings have been 1.4, .4, 3.7, .1, .4. I’m mostly concerned about the highest reading today of 5.4. Should I be worried about that or is it an indicator of not enough food, just a high reading post exercise, or perhaps some other factor?

Your numbers are awesome. Just remember although high ketones and amount of fat your burning aren’t always the same thing. The longer you eat keto and the more you fat adapt in most cases you’ll show less ketones. Not a problem just part of the deal. I almost never get about 2 and typically I’m only around 0.8-1.5. Take your numbers as a big positive just don’t let it make you crazy. It’s easy to let happen.

(German Ketonian) #7

Thanks for all your responses! I’ll take them to heart. Just a quick question: is it normal to spill that many ketone urines 3 months in? I regularly get readings in the medium to high range according to the color reference chart. I thought the unused ketones are supposed to vanish after some weeks as the body becomes more efficient in aligning produced and used ketones.

(German Ketonian) #8

And: Yes I drink enough! Usually above 4 liters (1 gallon).

(Allie) #9

I still get positive urine results over two years in but it doesn’t concern me.

(Ernest) #10

A lot of factors affect readings.
You might have taken the reading at that exact moment when ketones spiked.
I can spike my ketone reading with MCT oil. But that doesn’t mean that they will be high all day.
Don’t stress over the readings.