Diarrhea After Breaking Fast

(Shannon) #1

Hey all. I’m new to IF (this was day 2), doing a 16/8 schedule. I’m still adjusting but so far I like it, & I already noticed that it was a lot easier today than yesterday. The problem is that I’m having some pretty major diarrhea after I break my fast. I have some issues with this in general even before IF because I’m on a medication that causes my body to flush potassium, so it’s really really hard for me to get enough. But since starting IF it’s ramped up a lot & is making it hard to focus when I’m at work. I have increased my potassium intake even more but it hasn’t seemed to make any difference. Immodium is basically the only thing that helps, & today I had to take the full dosage limit before it stopped. I have a doctor’s appointment next Wednesday to hopefully figure out another medication option so hopefully that will improve the situation, but is there anything I can do in the meantime? I really don’t want to quit IF - it really seems to be helping me get my appetite under control & stop me from mindless eating.

(Ethan) #2

Prior to starting the fast, put 2 tablespoons of chia seeds in 6 oz of water. Let that sit for 15 minutes. Drink it.

(Shannon) #3

I happen to have some chia seeds, so I will definitely give that a try! My instinct was that more fiber would make it worse but I have been wrong before.

(Ethan) #4

Chia seeds are special… they absorb water like crazy.

(Shannon) #5

Thanks!

(Edward) #6

What I’ve noticed is that on longer fasts - 2 days or more - that if I drink a few glasses of liquid when first breaking the fast, it tends to go right through me. This has been true of broth, coffee and tea, clear soup, beer… If I start eating with more solid/drier stuff, things proceed slower, more normally.

Eating daily, as with a 16/8 schedule, doesn’t produce the same thing - no diarrhea.

Shannon, it may just take a while to get used to your intermittent fasting…

@BabyBacon19 = love the name.

(bren.mannin) #7

I have a similar problem. Medication side-effect. Imodium has no effect on me, unfortunately. And we can’t eat banana/rice/toast. I have also used chia. And Vital Proteins collagen peptides or gelatin (unflavored). I make thick fat bombs or gummies.

(Shannon) #8

Thanks! I hope I adjust soon. If the chia seeds don’t help I might need to keep an extra pair of pants at work lol

(Shannon) #9

I’ve never been a fan of gummy candy but the chia seed concoction was actually not bad. I kind of want to try it with some mio added to the water - I feel like it would make a decent keto-friendly replacement for bubble tea.

(Ethan) #10

I have put chia seeds in iced tea. It works great. They are like tiny tapioca balls after 30 minutes. If you also want a pudding-like dessert, put a few tables spoons into coconut milk in a container. Add your favorite sweetener, and put the container in the fridge overnight.