Diabetics

(Bernice) #1

Hello family, I’m very new to the forum but would like to know how are the diabetics doing with this diet plan. My doctor has no problem with me doing it b/c of less carbs. I’ve been type 2 diabetic for 20 years but eager to start. I’ve heard a lot about it and can’t wait to start losing. I’m looking for some food choices also to get started. Let me know how you’re doing…Thanks!

Keto has been a far better treatment for my T2 diabetes than medications. I used to have an A1c of 7.3 while using insulin and metformin. Since starting keto over 2 years ago, it’s been as low as 5.2 without any diabetes medications.

My mom has been a T2 diabetic for decades and started keto earlier this year. She takes repaglinide and had struggled to keep blood sugar in the 140’s. Many times since starting keto, she’s had measurements under 100. She’s cut back on the repaglinide and is still seeing low numbers.

I do cheap and easy keto meal preps based on the proteins that are on sale in a given week.

Otherwise, my pantry list is mostly geared around lazy microwave recipes.

Favorite meals :

• Smoked salmon + capers + Jalapeno cream cheese + chopped hard-boiled eggs + diced onions
  • “Everything” omelets
  • Pizza
  • Meat and veggie “dump” soups (includes chili and curries)

Favorite snacks :

I subscribe to these YouTube channels for all kinds of recipe ideas :

Some illustrated low carb food guides from the Diet Doctor web site:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #3

Welcome Bernice. :slightly_smiling_face:

Loosing weight is awesome but nothing compared to putting your diabetes in remission and not needing drugs. The weight loss will come with the package. Try to think of this as your new way of eating for lasting results. Thousands have reversed their diabetes with keto.

The ADA is even slowly starting to admit it can be effective even though it’s against their standard recommend diet (without a radical shift from their old position). I suspect they don’t want to flat out admit that they’ve been misadvising people for years.

I reversed being on the edge of T2 from steroid drugs to normal HbA1c in 8 months and I am still on steroids so I need keto to keep me straight. I look forward to seeing you around the forum. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Bernice) #4

Thanks so much for that info. my A1c is all too high and Doc say yes go for it. I’ll see him again in 3 weeks so I need to do this now.

(Bernice) #5

Thanks for that info. It will really help me on my way. I will post again after seeing my Doc in the next few weeks. I will really try to lose 10 lbs by then.

(Susan) #6

Welcome to the forum, Bernice, and best wishes with your Keto Journey =).

(Paul H) #7

Welcome Bernice! I am T2D and went from an A1c of 9.5 to 6.9 in 3 months recently. I test a lot more to see how my insulin responds to certain foods even if Keto approved. I focused solely on my Blood Sugar and dropping my A1c. Check that… I also focused on changing my cupboards and learning what foods actually were tasty and satisfying for the long run. This is very important because it takes time to actually reverse Insulin Resistance. I have dropped taking Levemir insulin and I am trying to lose weight now. I am finding it’s not as easy for us Diabetics. After you get fat adapted I suggest trying some fasting as it will be easier. A1c is a measurement over a 3 MONTH period of time so if you’re just starting now your test in 3 weeks will not reflect your changes fully yet. It took me almost 2 months to get fat adapted. Labels are not to be trusted! Artificial sweeteners are not to be trusted! Our insulin response to foods are different for everyone. Most of all be patient Keto clearly works for T2D.

(Cranford Coulter) #8

I started Keto after landing in the hospital with a mini-stroke and blood glucose of 515. While there, they found my A1c to be 10.1 and they found that my right carotid was 90% blocked. It had been clear just 6 months prior. They said it was probably due to the insulin. I was on Levemir and Novolog. Also my blood pressure was high.
Within 3 weeks of starting Keto, I no longer needed insulin. After 6 weeks, I no longer needed blood pressure medication. At 10 weeks, my A1c was 6.0 (“pre-diabetic”). I had lost about 20 lbs. and added some muscle. Now, I’m at 4-1/2 months and my blood sugars are under 100 with no meds , my BP is under 110/80 without meds. I’ve lost 7 inches off my waist and more than 10 off my gut.
I do this mostly on food bank food. I am pretty simple with my meals. Either butter in herbal tea or bacon and eggs for breakfast. A lot of meat and leafy greens fried in lard, with mushrooms thrown in (for potassium).

(bulkbiker) #9

Quick word of caution… what meds are you on?
Beware that cutting carbs quickly could cause hypos so you’ll need to moderate your meds/insulin if you are cutting back a lot (don’t get me wrong this would be a great thing but you do need to monitor very carefully)

(Cranford Coulter) #10

I echo what Mark said about monitoring closely. I was on a sliding scale for both Levemir and Novolog, and tested 4 times a day, so as I adapted to Keto, I just “slid off” the insulin. I did the same thing with the BP med in consultation with my doctor. We exchanged quite a few emails.

(Bernice) #11

Thanks guys, I needed to hear this

(Randy) #12

Welcome Bernice! :sunny:

Good links and advice so far (as usual, we have a very thoughtful, caring group of folks here). Especially important about being careful with your meds, as the lack of carbs will make your blood sugars drop fast, and over medicating could be dangerous.

A couple of other things. Your HbA1C is a measure of average glucose over approx. a 3 month period. So it won’t drop dramatically in a few weeks.

Also, please try not to focus on short term weight loss. Insulin is your fat storage hormone. And many people (especially women) struggle with weight loss early on because type 2 diabetes is a disease where you have way too much insulin. It may take time on keto to get your insulin low enough to lose weight.

You may lose right away, but please don’t be discouraged if it starts out slow. You want to “get healthy to lose weight”, not the other way around.

Good luck on your journey. :slight_smile:

(Todd Allen) #13

I was an unmedicated borderline diabetic and going keto was an easy fast fix. If as a long term medicated diabetic you want some guidance through the process of going keto and safely coming off your meds you might check out https://www.virtahealth.com/ They specialize in this and do it remotely working with patients and their local healthcare providers. They also have a ton of free info on their website which might be helpful if you do it on your own.

(Bernice) #14

OK thanks. I’m going to check it out now