Develop a “test” of your “keto”

thinkingoutloud

(less is more, more or less) #1

Frequently, I see posts that start off by writing; “I have been keto now for x weeks/months and…” the author proceeds to lament how they’ve failed to see the results they’ve expected. Our typical response is to presume the author has indeed practiced a Keto/LCHF lifestyle. However, informally, I could drive a truck full of cheap fake birthday cake between what Keto/LCHF is, and how the various neophytes perceive it to be. We know that the “keto” concept is the new snake oil in the mainstream, and various fraudulent agencies market in it’s name to sell garbage. I don’t blame the neophyte, one bit, if they misunderstand what “keto” means.

To help orient our neophytes, would an online test, where we present a neophyte with, say 10 questions, from a pool of 30 questions, that would “test” their “keto” savvy. Then, when the author writes to lament his or her lack of success, we can direct him or her to this quiz and ask them how did they score?

Of course, agreeing to 30 questions and answers among the old-timers would lead to interesting debates.

Thoughts?

Could we PLEASE stop telling people that fasting is the solution to everything?
(carol mclintock) #2

I think this would be a great idea! As a relative newbie (4 months), I would have loved to have something like this to help the massive orientation you go through when deciding to eat Keto/LCHF and also as a reference point for the inevitable worries and queries that follow.

Good idea. However, I think the ‘old timers’ as you put it, might give you 30 different answers to each question!!

(Empress of the Unexpected) #4

Great idea. Looking forward to it.

(Frank) #5

Love this idea. There has been many times that I have cancelled posts because I felt I was being an ahole and asking the poster how much do you even know about this lifestyle.

Great idea. Every time someone posts like this I do wonder if they’ve every done the legwork to add up their actual macros - for everything - including that tsbp of sugary ketchup/mustard/relish or the ‘no sugar added’ but fairly carby fruit-on-the-bottom yoghurt.
I think they also don’t realise one size doesn’t fit all, and they need to do some experimentation and maths to figure out their macros.

Carbs are so well hidden in so many commercial foods it’s a big step to learn where to look for them, and I feel like maybe some newcomers are getting tripped up, through no fault of their own, and get prevented from getting fat adapted sooner, or not getting into more than light ketosis at all?

So one question could be along the lines of have to calculated your actual grams of carb/fat/protein and converted that to percentages? Or, what is your resting metabolic rate? And, For your resting metabolic rate, knowing 1g of carbs has 4 calories, how many grams of carbs represents 5% of that? Also, do you feel you’re carb sensitive?

E.g. For me, while people talk about having up to 50g of carbs a day, my resting metabolic rate is only 1000 cals a day, so 5% for me is only 12.5g. And I’m carb sensitive, so 30-50g easily keeps me out of full ketosis and gives me massive hunger and carb cravings.

(Running from stupidity) #7

Self-published “Keto” cookbooks on Amazon. Until I looked at some of them, I didn’t realise that white flour was an acceptable keto cooking ingredient. But it must be, it’s in a bunch of them…

(Laurie) #8

I think it’s a great idea.

It could be accompanied by a disclaimer outlining the limitations of the test, e.g., that this is a “quick test” only. I did a quick test to find out how much salt I’m taking. It might not be exact, but it was quick and easy, and I didn’t have to read labels, look anything up, or do any math. I do read labels and love looking things up, but many people don’t.

I’m not sure whether this is the one I did, but it will give you an idea of what I’m talking about:

https://archive.projectbiglife.ca/sodium/

And as @juice has pointed out, there are so many versions of what keto is, and it can be very confusing. We could point out that no matter what newbies might have read elsewhere, the quiz is based on “our” definition of keto.

(Carpe salata!) #9

Sounds complicated. I never tracked anything.

Maybe a quiz like how many carbs in a slice of wholemeal bread vs white bread? Popcorn?

Popcorn - because its gluten free, some might think carb free…

Anyway <20 and KCKO :smiley:

(Empress of the Unexpected) #10

I think it should be a combo of questions, multiple choice/TF.

What is the maximum number of grams of carbohydrates guaranteed?? to get you into ketosis. 40? 60? 20?

Eating throughout the day is good for you. T?F
F. However, when you are first getting fat-adapted, by all means try to never go hungry, and reach for some extra fat until you are satisfied. However, once you are fat-adapted (6-8 weeks, or longer, depending on the person) you want to restrict the time you spend eating, as eating anything (even keto) will keep your insulin raised…

Which makes a better keto snack (if you must) and why: A square of dark chocolate or an apple. answer the dark chocolate, way fewer carbs, and then maybe an explanation re fructose.

Name five sources of fat: Fatty meats, avocado, olive oil, coconut oil, cheese

along these lines maybe go into some of the apps (my favorite is chronometer, with the built-in keto macros) and emphasize the absolute importance of tracking, at least in the beginning.

all full-fat dairy is ok on keto, T/F? False - even full fat milk needs to be avoided due to its high carb content.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #11

This is a great idea, really. I’m sure we can all come up with some great questions, maybe things we wished we had known sooner. Thinking it over, I see many newbies directed to the newbie thread, which is fine, as far as it goes, but it might just devolve into the blind leading the blind. I think with someone new to the forum, we should always recommend that they the FAQs first! I think the majority of people getting used to making their way around the forums are missing it.

(less is more, more or less) #12

This is partially inspired by how Dr. Westman quizzes a roomful of his new initiates on what is or isn’t allowed on his diet. Before the round-the-table quiz, people think they “get it,” it soon becomes clear they didn’t. He takes his time, and in his wonderfully understated Midwestern way, draws out many common mistakes people make, like fruits or popcorn.

(less is more, more or less) #13

Yeah, I can see that BUT I imagine we can huddle in the Pareto rule, i.e., agree where it matters most.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #14

Also, embedded in the FAQs is this: I am bookmarking it and will try to remember to get it out there!

http://pwop.com/download/TheKetogenicDietInANutshell.pdf

(Candy Lind) #15

Already, here is something I would argue against, UNLESS it’s emphasized that only the percentages of calories from which macro are important. Too many folks (like myself) start out eating way less than they should when they start keto.

(less is more, more or less) #16

Sure it’s a centuries-old option, but, fashion-wise, it’s the new snake oil

I’d like to keep it light and encouraging, while reinforcing the fundamentals.

Q: “Corn is vegetable. Can I eat corn on keto?” and the answer can go on about corn’s perils.

I shamelessly stole your idea. :wink:

Yep, I like…

(less is more, more or less) #17

Yes, I agree with @CandyLindTX about tracking for daily macro consumption, there is value in the neophyte learning where to look up macros as a general concept. This helps build a better sense of what is good, bad, and fugly.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #18

I’m not talking about calories at all. Which app have you used? I started using chronometer four months in and was shocked to discover I was way over on protein, way under on fats, and cheatin a bit on carbs. It may not be good for everyone, but some of the newbie questions really lead me to believe that they need to “learn” where the carbs are. Chronometer uses a built in keto app for macros.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #19

"Can you help me calculate my macros?

Even better, we can point you to a web resource: Keto Calculator "

The Dudes aren’t totally opposed!

(less is more, more or less) #20

I prefer cronometer over MFP for such lookups, but is there a non-commercial lookup on ingredient macros?