Dehydration?

(Todd Chester) #1

What is with all the dehydration when I am fasting? I fast all day Friday and drive close to three litres of water!

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #2

Could be your system needs flushing out. That’s a good way to do it. I don’t worry about water. Drink when thirsty, don’t when not. Takes care of itself.

(Todd Chester) #3

Thank you. That is kind of what I though. I am blowing off a lot of ketones from my skin and lungs during the fast (I smell like a rancid fruit salad). Occasionally, I add a bit of pink salt to the water for electrolytes. Now to go drink some more water. (There are some eggs and a pork chop in the refrigerator that think they are safe from me. Ha! Wait till tomorrow morning!)

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #4

You’ve been keto for several years. Have you experienced this previously? If not, what’s different?

(Todd Chester) #5

about eight years. Fasting every Friday now for only about three months

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #6

That’s significant. If the most it’s doing is just making you more thirsty than normal, I’d say just tough it out and see what happens. As long as you’re not running long distance while doing so, drinking more water during the fast is not going to cause any issues that I’m aware of other than having to pee more. Until demonstrated otherwise, I’m going to stick with my first guess that something is getting flushed out and you’ll be better off without it. :slightly_smiling_face:

(Todd Chester) #7

“Supposedly” my body is going after the bad stuff and burning that first. So it would make sense that I’d need to flush out. Other than getting dehydrated (mouth and lips getting really dry), I feel great. And I get a lot of work done.

My Blood Glucose does not drop that much since the first couple of times, meaning self regulation, which is a good sign. Blood Glucose is what engineers call a" closed loop control system", like the cruise control on your car. Your liver will add glycogen when your blood sugar start to drop and your pancreas will add insulin when your blood sugar get to high.

You will excuse me now – I have to pee

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #8

You may find this of interest:

(Todd Chester) #9

Yes very interesting (1 mmol/L = 18 mg/dL) so had to multiply everything by 18. He started at 52 mg/dl, dipped rather too low to 52.2 mg/dL, then went back to 84.6 mg/dL. These are great numbers.

My fast yesterday started at 114 mg/dl (6.3 mmol/L) in the morning and ended at 90 mg/dL (5 mmol/L). It started higher than I would like, but came down to a comfortable point.

Here is a weird one for you. My sleeping blood sugar is identical if I take it before bed and at rise. No fooling.