Deficits to watch out for on Keto ? (Electrolyte, Mineral, Vitamin)

I have quite an easy time sticking to a “boring” diet - if I could get away with only eating butter and coffee every day I would probably do it just because it’s so simple. This leads me to worrying about the keto diet making me eventually build up vitamin/mineral deficits.

Are there some things in particular I should watch out for? I am currently eating magnesium and vitamin d supplements, and cook a relatively normal dinner for me and my wife most days - greens, meat, egg, fat etc.

(MooBoom) #2

If you like boring diets keto isn’t for you. Keto ain’t boring!!!

But yeah- you need to eat healthfully and with as much variety as possible (with low carb foods) to meet your bodies nutritional needs. Consider working with a keto/LCHF dietician.

(VLC.MD) #3

I eat a lot of salad and veggies and don’t worry about minerals.

(Karen Parrott) #4

I have to supplement with magnesium (muscle cramps)

I had to increase my Vitamin D to 5000 mg per day (I’ve got 2 gene SNP’s that require supplementing).

Salt, adding more salt helps me with not being hypo-tensive. I was mildly hyper-tensive during the obesity years. (The Salt Fix book)

Liver, I eat more liver when I am drawn more as a paid blood donor at work.
Collagen: I eat more meat off the bone (ala Deep Nutrition, Kate Shanahan, MD)

Multi-vitamin: I use Pure Vitamin Club , no iron in it. I feel like crap about 6-8 weeks in if I don’t take a multi-vitamin. So I take one 5 days out of 7 or so.

Fermented veggies; 1 tbs of fermented sauerkraut a day. Helps my GI track be regular.

Bone broth, home made (has minerals and collagen). This is just to sip or enjoy in soups and stews. Helps my GI track be regular.

Green as well as colorful veggies like red cabbage, yellow bell peppers, rainbow carrots (I’m in weight maintenance and carrots don’t spike my glucose).

(Karen Parrott) #5

There’s a lot of great reading over at Marty Kendall’s blog

Don’t get to into the weeds, though, your body will let you know…

(Richard Hanson) #6

I don’t think there are a lot of good data on what are appropriate levels of micro-nutrients for people eating keto. Remember Vilhjalmur Stefansson and the Bellevue experiment where the the dietary experts where rather surprised when he did not die from scurvy?

Current government guidelines for micro-nutrients are likely even less useful than those for macro-nutrients, likely much worse as they were developed for people eating SAD and not us, “We few, we happy few, we band of brothers”, who stand before the fields of Agincort ready to eat bacon and eggs and saturated fat while others tremble in the grip of sugar.

Keto for Life!

Best Regards,
Richard

(Edith) #7

I think electrolytes are the biggies. I drink either a cup of bouillon broth with 1/8 teaspoon of No Salt (potassium chloride) or a glass of warm water with 1/2 teaspoon salt plus 1/8 teaspoon No Salt two to three times a day. Plus I take 400 mg of Mg Glycinate a day. Since I started that protocol I have not had any muscle cramps.

Oh yes, I also take a multi vitamin, fish oil, and calcium (since I am allergic to dairy,) but I already took those supplements before I started keto. It’s the electrolytes I had to add since starting keto.

Cheers,
Edith

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #8

LOL! If you weren’t already married to Mrs. Hanson, I’d propose. She’s a lucky woman, she is!

(Richard Hanson) #9

Oh Paul, you are irrationally kind, but you err. It is not Mrs. Hanson who is fortune but I, who am I but a slave to her tender affections?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #10

Well, then, you are both very lucky people, being blessed both in matrimony and in keto eating. I rejoice in your double good fortune.