Deer Meat Recipes Needed

(Mary McNeight) #1

Anyone have any advice on how to cook deer meat so that it has the high fat taste I so desire without causing an off taste with the meat? Im used to ribeyes and pork belly. This stuffs so lean Im afraid I wont actually like it anymore. Recipes? Tips? Tricks?

(Windmill Tilter) #2

Blend it 75/25 with beef fat in a meat grinder for some veneefburger. Deefburger? Not sure what to call it, but it’ll be tasty, and more keto friendly… :yum:

(Kristen Ann) #3

I eat a lot of elk. I don’t know how to make it more fatty tasting, but you could add a HWC sauce to it. Like a stroganoff or cream sauce? Wrap it in bacon. I don’t add very much beef fat to my ground elk because I feel like it just renders out anyways. Also, I’m sure you know this if you used to cook it, but tomato sauce will remove the gamey flavor.

If you have steaks, you can quickly sear them medium.

If you have larger pieces of meat or stew-type meat:
You can make deer goulash (stew), very popular in my country.
My dad also prepared deer this way:

1. prepare a marinade and marinate the meat overnight: grind 3 garlic cloves, 5 juniper berries, 2 bay leaves, 1 tsp thyme, 1 tbsp red wine vinegar, salt and pepper to taste, cover with 0.5l of red wine and 0.1l of water
  2. before cooking, remove the meat from the marinade and pat dry with a paper towel.
  3. brush the meat with mustard and set aside
  4. chop 1 large onion, 4 carrots and 1 celery stick
  5. put some fat in a pan and quickly sear the meat on both sides, remove from the pan
  6. add onion, carrots and celery to the pan juice and saute until onions are translucent and soft.
  7. add the meat back in, add a few juniper berries, little more thyme and cover with stock/water and canned tomatoes (you can omit tomatoes) and a little more red wine
  8. gently cook for 3 hours or until the meat is nice and soft, regularly check the amount of stock or water and add as needed.

(Troy) #5

Never tried it myself🤔
But others talk a lot about it

Deer in Headlights