Deep Frying

I just tried frying with lard for the first time and it resulted in delicious food, but my whole house stunk for 24 hours afterward despite leaving all the windows open. I cannot stomach that smell and find that it won’t be worth it to try anything if I want to vomit at the smell of the fat. Is avocado oil a good alternative (i.e. does it smell less? Does it leave a taste on the food? Can I use it in my deep fryer?). I heard coconut oil leaves a strong taste and though I’ve considered tallow, I fear the smell will be even worse than lard.

Recommendations for deep frying oil that does not stink so much and is mild in flavor?

(Karen) #2

I’m with you! I run the fan when I’m even pan frying. Like to eat bacon, just don’t want the smell in the drapes.

K

(TJ Borden) #3

I haven’t tried lard yet, but I’ve been using tallow from Essential Depit from Amazon and there’s very little smell, and no smoke.

(Newimprovedme ) #4

Depending on what you are trying to fry, an air fryer might work. It works for me with wings…no more lingering smells.

(Catherine ) #5

I get fat from my local butcher (grass-fed). I render and clarify it and i did some deep-frying with it for the first time, yesterday. My thinking is that what makes deep-frying ‘bad’ is the vegetable oil but if done with tallow, lard or ghee it should be a great keto food. what thinketh thee?

(Tech Dad) #6

I do all my frying in coconut oil . It does add a slight coconut taste to the dish, but in most cases I think it improves the dish. My current favorite Brussel sprouts deep fried.

Coconut oil is nice. But can be pricey. I’ve never had deep fried Brussels sprouts. Good idea I want to try.

Peanut oil is cheap, but can be inflammatory. We usually do lard or Coconut oil depending on what it is.

Okay so I bought some avocado oil to try and was pleasantly surprised. It worked so well, had no weird taste, and didn’t make my house stink. It’s a win in my book. The only downside is the cost. Even ordering it online costs a pretty penny. I guess we will only get to fry foods on special occasions.

(Rob) #9

I seem to remember seeing at Costco last time I was there, so if you have an account or know someone that does, perhaps that could be a cheaper source. I haven’t tried it myself yet, but think I’ll give it a go now.

I have a membership. I will definitely look there. Didn’t even cross my mind. Thanks!

(Jeremy Storie) #12

My wife told me I smelled like bacon the other day. I told her thank you and that it was my new cologne :rofl:

(Sergey Baranets) #13

in Costco UK, 1 litre of avocado oil is around £11. I use avocado oil for deep-frying and home made mayo but it’s too expensive for deep-frying :frowning: in my opinion, at least in UK