Deep Fryer or Air Fryer or ? ... for chicken wings and (any other ideas?)

deepfryer

(VLC.MD) #1

I’m thinking of getting a deep fryer.

Anyone use one for chicken wings ? is it alot of work to keep changing the oil ? What’s a fryer feature worth paying for ?

Does the oil take a long time to heat up ?

What is the best oil ?

or should I get an air fryer ?

I’m mostly interested in

(1) chicken wings.

(2) EASY BATTERED FRIED CAULIFLOWER | KETO FOOD

I guess I should start with just doing on the stove top to see how much I like them :slight_smile:

Any fryer / friers out there with suggestions ? (Total newb here)

(VLC.MD) #2

buying tips

Suggested oils
(1) peanut oil

(VLC.MD) #3

Cleaning Deep Fryer

lol

(VLC.MD) #4

Oil management

(VLC.MD) #5

Suggested oils

video - good

Coconut oil
Olive oil (can be used for over 24 hours before it starts oxidizing)

(VLC.MD) #6

List of foods to deep fry

(VLC.MD) #7

Fryer features

2 baskets (1 large, 2 small)
baskets that fit into base for storage
Capacity
How long to heat up
How to drain oil
baskets can hook on to drain the oil (once done)

Drain via tube

Just dump

I think just dump might be the simplest.

black interior - hard to see if it needs cleaning.

other tools needed

Need an oil can to pour into.
Need a funnel, with a filter

The Tfal has a filter in the bottom.

(Allan L) #8

Hi,

I purchased a deep fryer the other month specifically for chicken wings. Totally love them nice and crispy and cooked in lard.

8 minutes and I get the most amazing wings, eat 3-4 times a week as a snack!

(Shayne) #9

I used to have a huge deep fryer, but it was such a PITA to use and clean, etc., especially for two people.

Recently I bought a small “Fry Daddy”, put some lard in it and fried wings, then when it cooled, I put the lid on it and left it on the counter. I’ve reused the lard twice to deep fry brussels sprouts (yes, brussels sprouts - OMG so good, quarter, fry, salt, eat!). Then I put the lid back on after it cooled.

(VLC.MD) #10

How long can you keep the oil in there without draining ?

(Shayne) #11

I was just going to keep going till I either burnt it or it started to smell “off”.

(Ken) #12

My oil choice is Beef Fat. My small fryer is the type the elements fit down into, so when removed it’s just a large rectangular pot of oil. It’s easy to strain the liquid fat into a container before putting in the fridge. In the Winter we use it often, so don’t even bother to strain it every use, and just put the pot of oil in the fridge, after cooling it down outside.

I do have one of the large Butterball turkey fryers, besides a turkey, you can cook 10lbs. of fried chicken in them at a time. I used that one often when both my sons were still living at home.

Batter fried chicken is so tasty, and by now I usually don’t even bother with a keto batter, but it’s obviously a personal choice. I’m sure there’s a good one out there using coconut and almond flour.

I also have what is being now called an Air Fryer. They are great, less messy than oil, and are more versatile. I’ve been using one almost daily for more than a decade. IMO, if you only get one, get THAT one.

(Bacon for the Win) #13

thanks, now I want chicken wings! :heart_eyes:

Nothing else to add here…

(KCKO, KCFO) #14

Do you not like doing wings in the oven? So much more simple and no large quantities of oil to fuss about.

And these are delicious

(VLC.MD) #15

I do them in the oven. They are usually pretty good.
I just wondered if they were better deep fried :slight_smile:

(Dawn) #16

I cook all chicken wings in lard in a large frying pan. I have heard that lard is not good for you in the US because it has hydrogenated oil but I still use it because I don’t know an alternative. I would prefer the taste of canola oil but I know that is a huge huge no-no. I asked for an air fryer for Christmas. We will see how strongly I am ignored. Here are my wings. With no batter, just seasoned, fried and dipped in sauce. Wings

(VLC.MD) #17

Why is canola oil a huge no - no ?

It’s in all my salad dressings !

(Dawn) #18

I am not an expert here, but all vegetable oils (soybean, canola, sunflower, vegetable, mazola, etc.) have GMO’s and trans fat once they hit a certain smoke point. They are not “natural” oils. They also can wreack havoc on our digestive systems. This does not apply to olive oil and coconut oil. Here is an article that explains it better then I can. I know Dr. Fung and the 2KD preach about eating healthy oils and not the vegetable oils. IT is also why they don’t suggest we eat any dressings from the store because 98% of them will have some form of soybean or canola oil.

(KCKO, KCFO) #19

I was seriously thinking of getting an air fryer from Amazon. I did not like the reviews, it is great for frozen foods that you would normally put in a fryer according to them, but is not good if you prepare your own foods. There was enough negativity, that I decided against it.

If I did get even a fry daddy frier, I would be eating too much fried foods. I loved all things battered and fried before, not going down that road again.

I enjoy over roasted dishes, and can add as much or as little oil as I please that way.

(Ken) #20

I see that I’ve confused my appliances. Air Fryers appear to be fairly new. I’ve been referring to infrared, fan driven convection ovens. Jet Stream is one available, but there are many other types out there selling for well less than $100. They roast very quickly and efficiently, especially chicken and beef/pork roasts. Wings come out awesome. It is this type I recommend, besides being faster, they don’t heat up the house like a regular oven.