DEC 2022 IF/EX Chat Thread

(Central Florida Bob ) #12

Thanks, Bob.

I’m 90% back to normal, but haven’t gotten back on a bike. I’ll probably ride on my indoor trainer a few times before getting back on the road.

(Bob M) #13

Bob,

Was that a fall off the bike or did someone hit you?

I used to go ice skating during the day, to break up the monotony of my job. I fell and hit my head. I was totally wacky for 2 days afterwards, as in I would say the same thing over and over again. Or I’d lose my train of thought.

You sound a lot better than I was.

(Central Florida Bob ) #14

It was a fall.

Just clumsy, uncoordinated me. I live in pretty quiet city, and “retirement privilege” allows me to ride at 9 or so in the morning. I stopped at an intersection where my direction has a stop sign while the cross traffic doesn’t, looking for a break in traffic. A woman being nice stopped and waved me across. I usually try to ignore that, because it violates what I consider the important first rule, which is to ride in keeping with all rules of the road. For some reason, instead of playing “after you,”, “no, after you, I insist,” and holding up the cars behind her, I gave a wave of thanks and started across.

I ride a road bike with Look pedals that cleats on my shoes lock into, but sometimes the pedal doesn’t fall into position just right and my foot slips off. That happened. Then my cleat started sliding on the pavement and next thing I know I’m on the ground; half on the road, half on a grassy spot on the far side.

I never got knocked out, and rode home. About the only bad effect was the worst black eye of my life. I think it was from my handle bars bonking me in my right eye. The dizziness didn’t start until the 3rd day after the accident.

My guess is I’m back to about 90% normal. There are still some positions I can get into that cause dizziness but I haven’t taken one of the pills in at least a week.

(Bob M) #15

Ah, clipless pedals. When you’re in them, they are the best thing ever. Getting into them (and out of them) is the problem. I’m glad you’re feeling better though.

(Central Florida Bob ) #16

Exactly - and thanks. Now I’m pondering whether I go back to the toe clips or flat pedals or just what to do.

I don’t want to give up riding. It’s really the only form of exercise I like enough to stick with.

I’m just over 3 weeks out from the spill, and I figure I’m off the bike through next weekend (4 weeks) at the earliest.

(Bob M) #17

@CFLBob I started with toe clips, and switched to clipless a long time ago. It depends on how much you are riding and your comfort level. I tend to like clipless, but I’ve fallen over because I couldn’t get out of them fast enough. It’s particularly hard when you have no speed, and I was riding a way I hadn’t ridden before and came up suddenly on a hill with a stop sign.

Was hoping to do a 36 hour fast this Thursday. But I took my puppy for her first jog with me, only a mile, on Sunday. But I had new shoes and hadn’t jogged outside. Once my puppy figured out what was happening, she basically pulled me through our jog.

Then came back and swapped summer tires/rims for snow tires/rims, so jacked up one tire, pulled it off, put a snow tire on, etc., for 4 tires. Then went to Costco with the wife, came home, took quick nap, started cooking dinner. Was after 8pm before I finally was able to relax.

Snow last night, plow came at 2:40 am; was really loud and we turned on the lights using Alexa. I turned them off too, but couldn’t go back to sleep for a long time.

When I got up (late) this morning, my legs hurt. Decided to ditch the workout. Will now work out Tuesday, Wednesday, take Thursday off, work out Friday. That means I won’t be able to fast Thursday.

So, I’m eating OMAD today. I guess it might be possible for me to work out full body Tuesday (instead of 1/2 body Tuesday and Wednesday + HIIT both days), then I could fast on Thursday. I’ll give that some thought too.

But as of now, only OMAD today.

(Central Florida Bob ) #18

I’ve been riding with clipless pedals for around 25 years. Don’t recall when I first started, but late '90s is a pretty safe guess. It’s harder to remember riding without them, but I guess the crash 3 weeks ago and a couple of goofy injuries I’ve had in the last couple of years have me wondering if they’re all signs that I’m getting less coordinated. It’s the first time I’ve fallen in years, though. Maybe I’m being too harsh on myself.

(Bob M) #19

I’d guess you’re being too hard on yourself. For instance, I’m now doing HIIT inside, and I ride my bike on a trainer set up. I’m doing this after doing body weight training, so I’m warmed up and don’t need an easy part initially for my bike ride. But I have to build in a minute, and it often takes me almost the whole time just to get clipped in. And that’s inside, with nothing happening.

So, I hope to have a 36 hour fast next week. I did body weight training Tuesday and Wednesday, my body “split” into two parts. I’ll have Thursday off and then I’ll do a full body workout on Friday. I can’t see fasting this Thursday, so I’ll try again next week.

I really focus on OMAD now. More than on carnivore, it’s December anyway, it won’t last long - but I stay as close as I comfortably can.
Yesterday was almost OMAD, I only had a tiny follow-up second dinner.
Today I was brave and went for lunch OMAD. My macros are great so I hope for the best. It’s 5pm and I am very full (not something I really like but it’s not so bad, establishing OMAD always needs some effort and more if I don’t just use a lot of carbs) and determined so I think I have chances.

I pretty rarely eat 138g (guesstimation but must be close) protein for a meal, that’s why I had problems with OMAD this far but today I did it :wink: I happen to have lean protein sources, they help a lot.

I expect a 25-26 hour fast as I ate very early, finished at 4pm. I usually don’t start eating until 5-6pm nowadays. It was so long ago I went over 24 hours :slight_smile: If I can’t skip a day, I want at least this pretty pointless thing :smiley:

I still expect my longer term OMAD producing an easy fasting day especially that I do dinner OMAD most of the time and I am pretty okay until 5-6pm at least. I will start to wait until proper hunger at some point.

(Bob M) #21

I still think OMAD is more challenging than 36 hours, as for me, I can stay out until late at night to pick up my daughter from dance, and then I just pop home and go to bed. For OMAD, I have never actually limited myself to the meal time. Instead, there’s a meal, then I have to do something, then I’ll eat later.

And I tend to eat so late to begin with that my sleep is often affected.

I know there are a lot of people who can do OMAD and they like it. I just find it challenging. Maybe it’ll get easier when both my kids are in college. :frowning_face:

OMAD is easy (once, if I put my mind on it. never could do it longer term but it’s fine, I would be happy with the occasional second dinner or first if I had my main meal at lunchtime). 36 hours (more like 45 for me) is impossible since years. My body loves to eat every day but a biggish meal isn’t a problem normally (only on OMAD and carnivore… and I go for carnivore OMAD but I like challenges. I do it gradually, it should work).

Sleeping after a bigger meal is fine for me but I tend to need food earlier or eat when my SO does and as I remember eating after 6pm always was very odd, I rather avoid that. But I try to bring myself to skip dinner too (when I don’t feel the need to eat, of course) and we will see. Actually I am curious. What would happen. A big meal after midnight? Finally EF?
I don’t even remember how I felt when I did EF… And I know it wasn’t hard. I need determination and a group thing here, I built up myself mentally but then it was fine. I still was hungry at 45 hour but that’s quite great even though I would like to do 72 hours. Not more, I would worry about my muscles even before and no one ever can persuade me it’s baseless. And it doesn’t matter, it’s a low-key paranoia and doesn’t strictly follow logic and other such smart things. I did 1.5 days on fat fast due to it. By the way, I should do a fat fast day again, it was interesting. With OMAD, obviously. Actually, how else? Fat fast barely has food, it’s a tiny meal - but interestingly, it was enough. Mostly fat is magical :slight_smile: I just have problems to imagine a fat fast meal on carnivore.

So I do OMAD with various interesting experiments this month :slight_smile: I am curious about various combinations… Keeping myself entertained is good. It’s very hard for me to get bored (it’s basically impossible in general, possible if it’s about my food. I can get bored of water too and how silly is that?) but when I manage to get bored, bad things may happen.

I do like OMAD, I just rarely can do it but now I am determined AND my body seems to be on board. So I must use this chance! But without OMAD… I am doomed. It doesn’t work. Too much feeling starved, too much overeating (the two can happen together, it’s all about the number of meals. the less, the better), harder to experiment, compare, easier to get bored I think, way less chill, more time consuming… And I may be able to skip a lunch at a relative (or only eat the right part that wasn’t enough while I had substantial lunches but okay now) if I am used to dinner OMAD, it’s important if I want to stick to my chosen woe… And as I always write, I consider dinner OMAD a very possible gateway to EF… But it’s easier to plan and eat too, I just need to eat everything at once. Or if I don’t want to track, I just stuff myself with right items, it can’t be too bad. More meals are way more dangerous, I can easily mess up a day that way. I still am fine with a nice TMAD but TMAD is about the hardest. If I can’t do OMAD, I often have 3-5 meals* and that’s just horrible. So it’s for me I am sure and it’s unfair I need to work for it but this is life sometimes :wink:

*If my first meal is after 5pm, I usually don’t need 5 meals, it’s neat. If I can’t do OMAD, I want to wait until 4-5pm with my first meal as it is beneficial already… But eating kind of late usually triggers a bigger meal so it helps OMAD a lot. But if I wait too long, my body enters its natural fasting time or what, it’s different if I didn’t eat earlier and it’s harder to eat a proper meal again. Hence my preferred time around 5pm. That is my best bet.

Sorry. I am pretty excited now as it seems to be working!!! (On some days but it’s good enough for now.) I wanted this since so, so long!

(Bob M) #23

Well, that’s good news that it seems to be working. I’ve seen a lot of people who have had great success with OMAD.

(Bob M) #24

Well, covid finally caught up with me. Didn’t feel great Tuesday and Wednesday, though I felt good enough to exercise. Thursday, I felt chest congestion, took a covid test, negative. Worse with fever on Friday, covid positive. It’s Monday, and I’m still positive, though my fever only lasted a day. Tired, though. Voice is raspy. Can smell things.

According to CDC guidelines, I have to isolate at least through Tuesday. Hope to exercise (at home, in basement) again Wednesday. We’ll see. Don’t feel that bad, but sleeping a lot.

I definitely didn’t feel strong enough to exercise or had a mood to get out to the frost with my bad throat and nose :frowning: But it seems a tiny thing enough and I am hopeful I heal soon!

No appetite but of course I still need to eat… So I won’t lose fat now either but it’s fine, I want energy and everything.

Get better, everyone! (Surely not only us 2 have some kind of problems.)

And I enjoy that I can smell things now :slight_smile: Better than my SO, actually :wink:
My possibly-Covid many months ago was worse than this no idea what.

(Michael) #26

Trying OMAD this month myself. Typical eating window is therefore between 2 and 3 hours depending. Overall I do not think this is working well, but I will keep it up for this month and re-evaluate. Yesterday I ate 3600 calories, which is a bit much. But if I do not eat that much I feel hungry before my next meal, whereas I will be fine today since I ate so much yesterday. Of course, it really is all mind over matter though.

My OMAD goes surprisingly well (and it’s not clean, a few kcals may happen elsewhere. I do try to clean it up but coffees interfere. I mostly drink hot water now though and it’s LOVELY!).
Sometimes I get hungry at lunchtime - and I easily manage to eat a proper OMAD meal then and don’t lose my nice satiation for the rest of the day… That was 10 hours yesterday… Wow. I did know a proper sized meal lasts long, actually, I just never could eat 2000 kcal for an OMAD lunch on extreme low-carb before… (A bit less should have worked but one can never know. I tracked afterwards, I just ate as much as I comfortably could, drank many calories too.)

So after trying it since the beginning of December (or maybe I started a day before?), it starts to go smoothly now…? I do have non-OMAD days but I never expected anything different. My body is definitely on board with it now :slight_smile: Yay.

(KCKO, KCFO) #28

I’m going to fast as long as I can, hopefully until the new year rolls in. I had a tiny bounce up but I would like to start out the new year at my goal. I hope doing this extended fast will help with that.

It is pretty quite in here, I hope everyone had a good keto friendly Christmas and will do the same for the New Year’s Day meals as well.

Screenshot_20221230_011013

“Let’s hope it’s a good one without any tears” Yoko Ono

(KCKO, KCFO) #29

Good fast, I entered the New Year back at my goal weight. Hope that is a sign of more good things to come.

(KCKO, KCFO) #30

New, year, new month, please post over at the January thread.

(Robin) closed #31