Death by chocolate

(Allie) #1

I’m actually not a fan of chocolate but made this because the recipe looked like something my chocoholic boyfriend would like.

I’ve tasted a bit of the topping and it’s very sweet, very chocolatey. He better eat it or I’ll be taking it to the chocoholics at work :roll_eyes:

https://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/low-carb-death-by-chocolate-cheesecake/

(Brian) #2

I need to try this one. Just gotta collect all of the ingredients… (My birthday is coming up and this would make a nice “birthday cake” that won’t blow me out of ketosis, even with a second piece. :smiley:

(Allie) #3

Not sure if you’d be able to eat a second slice, it’s very rich… very nice though. I’ll be taking most of this one into work tomorrow for my non-keto colleagues.

OMG

I wanted to just say that but it wouldn’t let me - pedantic!

(Doug) #5

Allie, you definitely have the WOW factor here. :slightly_smiling_face:

(Brian) #6

I tried making the death by chocolate cheesecake!

A couple of things come to mind. First, it is good. If I make it again, I’ll swap out at least some of the crust with pecans / pecan meal rather than have it all almond meal. I think it would add to the flavor. Second, I would add some salt, maybe to the crust as well as the filling part. I did use salted butter but it wasn’t enough. We found that sprinkling some salt on top really enhanced the flavor. So I think salt in it would help. I think I’d add a few more strawberries on top. The acid really did help to balance out the flavors.

That said, I found out that erythritol isn’t something I want to use all the time. A little here or there probably wouldn’t bother me but we’ve eaten a piece of this death by chocolate cheesecake for supper, breakfast, and supper, three meals in a row, and I’ve been wondering why I’ve been having headaches. I looked at the side effects and it’s very common for people to experience headaches when they use erythritol. We’ve eaten half of it but I think we’re gonna stick the rest in the freezer and maybe get out a piece once in a while.

I’m not disappointed. It was tasty. But I think I’d want to save something like this for a special occasion only, not a regular thing, and times when I might get one small piece only with the rest shared with other people. :slight_smile:

(Allie) #7

If I make it again, I’ll use less chocolate and less sweeteners, and reduce the amounts by half… but I’m not a fan of sweet things or chocolate. My boyfriend however is, and he liked it so much that he made himself feel sick by eating two big slices when I had told him one would be plenty :joy:

(Brian) #8

Shortstuff, I also found that one smallish slice was PLENTY! I joked about maybe eating two slices but I know I wouldn’t want to because I felt quite full after just one.

I do like at least some sweetness but am not sure what I could use that would agree with me. The erythritol does add some bulk to the recipe so I don’t know if eliminating that would mess up some of the proportions. Maybe someone has already played with that.

Actually, I think I’d like to try a lemon cheesecake the next time around. I’ve always liked lemon anyway. :slight_smile:

(Allie) #9

@Bellyman
You might like this then :grin:

http://www.ditchthecarbs.com/2015/03/11/sugar-free-no-bake-lemon-cheesecake/

(Brian) #10

Thanks, Allie!

That looks quite simple to make and it appears to be quite versatile.

Believe it or not, I’ve kinda had my fill for desserts for a while. (Never would have thought I’d hear myself say that. LOL!) Man, this keto thing is doing strange things to me. :smiley:

Erythritol gives me headache every time. It’s a sugar alcohol with fewer side effects but seems some are definitely consistently more affected.

(Brian) #12

Thanks, turbeville, it feels good to know I’m not the only one. :slight_smile: