Day 8 water fast: Acid Reflux? Anyone else have this symptom?

(Ace) #1

Having lots of acid reflux, i do not usually have acid reflux on a normal basis.

Question:
Wondering what may cause it, anyone else experience it??

Hi, new on site a little about me:
Day 8 of water fast (nothing else at all consumed just water)
Tongue is not quite as thick takes longer to get coated then previously

weight
Day 1: 166.8 LB
Day 2: 164 LB
Day 3: 161 LB
Day 4: 159 LB
Day 5: 156.8 LB
Day 6: 154.4 LB
Day 7: 153.2 LB
Day 8: 150.5 LB
Weight loss: 16.3 LB total

This is the second fast I’ve done first one was June/2016 I completed 4 days. I wanted to see if i could do it, seemed crazy, but I did it it wasn’t bad. My big break through was crashing a plateau with weight.
Kept weight off until 6 months ago I started carb loading like it was my last day, every day. So I gained a bunch of weight 30 pounds! I wanted to reset the way I was eating. So set a date, and started. I’m on day 8 today 8/9/2018 I’ve lost 16.3 pounds. On food, I am ready to eat keto again.

(GARY SORENSON) #2

I get terrible acid reflux during a fast. I have NEVER had any acid reflux problems before. I now take Zantac every 12 hours. I wish I didn’t have to but if I don’t I have to end the fast at 24 hours.

(Ace) #3

Glad to know I’m not alone, I was under the impression that is was more towards the beginning of the fast. Nice to know, others have similar symptoms.

When I did my big water fasting -based diet (though I’d eat every few days when hit with feelings of weakness) for maybe 2-3 months, I’d supplement it with the occasional glass of red wine ; I made sure to only take that wine in a bar, restaurant, or café, one glass only, to avoid even the temptation of too much drinking killing the fast

Other non-sugar drinks could be used too, the point is to ensure at least some minimalist intake of non-solid nutrients, but I would clearly avoid milk, and try to take unsweetened squeezed lemon juice or pink grapefruit juice instead of orange if I needed some fruit juice. Wasn’t drinking tea or coffee in those days.

(Teresa (turtle)) #5

When I was on day 3 or 4 of my fast last week I had heartburn like you wouldn’t believe when I never do normally. Drank some black coffee and it subsided. :woman_shrugging:

(Alan Williamson) #6

Baking Soda and water will fix it.

(Kim Cole) #7

Need to get checked by dr fasting for so long may not be good for your body have a blood test etc to check acidity levels hope this helps

(Devon Lantry) #8

Same experience. Never have reflux except when fasting.

I’ve found it’s from too much water, or drinking too often. Stop drinking for three hours and it fades away. Also, baking soda in water, with a little salt and potassium, is a life saver if you can’t wait. Check neuronimolabs.com

I’ve had acid reflux during my fasts. This is perfectly normal because your body is still secreting acid in the stomach during the times of day that you would usually be eating a meal. Since there’s no food be disolved the acid irritates the stomach and esophagus thus acid reflux. Green tea helped me out with this.

(Central Florida Bob ) #10

I just want to chime in that this applies to alternate day fasts, too, should anyone be searching the site.

I’ve been doing ADFs for 8 weeks now, and I’d say about half of the mornings after the fasting days, I have heartburn or reflux. I already take Prilosec OTC and have been on that more-or-less on prescription for years. I’ve done baking soda in water, but the thing I’ve tried that works best is Tums. I haven’t tried hot tea, green or otherwise, because it’s always the middle of the night or early morning and I want to take something and get back to bed.

(Faten Daou) #11

Yes! This is what I’ve been doing and it works great.

(Faten Daou) #12

Read this online:
Fasting can also cause heartburn ; lack of food leads to a reduction in stomach acid , which digests food and destroys bacteria. But smelling food or even thinking about it during fasting periods can trigger the brain into telling the stomach to produce more acid , leading to heartburn .

I’m on day 6 and I’ve been preparing dinner for my husband everyday! Not easy to see food but I love cooking. I started adding few pinches of baking soda to 4oz of water, it helps.