Day 5,6,7, and 8 of a 10 Day Water Fast - upset and sour stomach

(Ehlert P Lassen) #1

Hi,

New to the neighborhood, glad to be here.

I’ve done several 2 and 3 day fasts, and one 5 day. I decided to venture on the 10 day fast. When I hit the middle of the fifth day I started to experience upset, sour stomach, and indigestion like discomforts. I’ve felt I was on the verge to being sick on three occasions.

I haven’t consumed anything but high quality filtered water. How can this be? I’m committed to seeing it through to completion but this stomach business is close to intolerable.

The detox part has been brutal but oddly satisfying. It feels good to be cleaning out all the crud accumulated over many years.

I’m 58, male, 6;1"; I weighed 269lbs on day one, and weighed 244lbs this morning.

Any comments or ideas of what’s going on?

Thank you!

(Carl Keller) #2

I found a few articles that gave reference to stomach acidity as the possible cause for your symptoms. One suggested drinking small sips of warm water and the other warned about medications and smoking as possible antagonists.

(Ehlert P Lassen) #3

Thank you Carl! From the articles I would venture to guess that the portions of I’ve been drinking are simply too large.

Have you tried apple cider vinegar?

(Ehlert P Lassen) #5

No. My wife recommended it. I’m on Day 9 and wanted to make it through exclusively on water. I had a cup of warm water last night at 7pm (pacific) and have been dry since (other than brushing my teeth). Stomach is much better so I’m going to stay dry until the morning. I haven’t tried a dry fast before, now I’m on one apparently.

Thank you for your suggestion Ben!

(Full Metal KETO AF) #6

You say that you’re only consuming water? Are you still doing salt and maybe magnesium, potassium or anything.

(I’m surprised @CarlKeller didn’t ask!)

(Ehlert P Lassen) #7

No, I haven’t taken any salt, supplements, or anything. Just water. Now I’m not even drinking water (but I’ll finish up the final 12 hours tomorrow sipping water through out the day).

Thanks!

(Carl Keller) #8

So am I. :stuck_out_tongue:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #9

I haven’t embarked on fasting fun adventures yet :confused:, but I think most of the keto dudes and gals do salt while fasting. Otherwise you’re just flushing all the electrolytes out of your system.

(Ehlert P Lassen) #10

I did a lot of mental prep regarding food temptation (seemingly successfully so since it’s been pretty easy to reject food), but I wasn’t prepared for what I think was detox flu during day 5 and 6. Next time, probably in March, I’ll have to plan better for salt and supplements. I can imagine this forum will be a good place to consult :slight_smile:

(Ehlert P Lassen) #11

Today is Day 10! My 240 hours are complete this evening at 7pm. Are there any suggestions as to my reintroduction to food?

Since it will evening, I plan on going quite lite: an avocado, a cooked egg, salt, and raw apple cider vinegar in some water. Also, this morning my 18 hour dry fast will be over; sips of warm water will be quite welcome!

Next 10-day is scheduled to start on March 6.

I’ve valued your advice and comments and welcome more!

Thank you.

(Ehlert P Lassen) #12

For those interested, here are the results from my first 10-day fast:

Start weight: 270lbs
After fast weight: 240lbs
Lost 30lbs
Regain 10lbs
Net weight lost: 20lbs

Now I’m on Day 3 of my second monthly 10 Day fast. This time I’m not so puritanical, so I’m including coffee and certain mineral supplements, 2 tsp Pink Himalayan Salt daily, a solution of water, baking soda, and Apple Cider Vinegar, and Magnesium.

So far I feel fine.