Day 26 and all of a sudden I feel hungry all the time. What gives?

newbies
hunger

(Priscllla) #1

Ever since I passed the keto flu stage I’ve been eating 2 meals a day, one between noon and 1pm and one at around 11pm. I work second shift. These last two days have been horrible as far a hunger goes and I don’t get why, I haven’t changed anything other than start drinking enough water again, but I thought that helped with hunger. And it’s not carb cravings, I just feel hungry :frowning: It’s not the hangry i need a sugar fix feeling either. My body is asking me for something and I can’t figure out what it is. According to the urine strips I have I’m still in ketosis. Has anybody had this experience? I’ve lost about 10 lbs and have been stalled for about a week now, is my body just freaking out about the weight loss?

(Jaidann) #2

I’ve experienced this before. I have days and days where I am not hungry and then WHAM, I get super hungry. Looking back at my food log when this occurs I’m not eating enough fat on those “non hungry” days. Sometimes I can be 50% under my goal. No good. I have to log this stuff because I’m not an intuitive fat eater yet. Once I upped my fat back up those hungry days don’t happen like that.

Maybe this would be helpful to you?

(John Cotter) #3

This week I had much stronger hunger urges more frequently, what I think was happening was I was sick. Normally this time of year I get hit with something but it was odd other than slight aches, semi sore throat and a slightly running nose it wasn’t nearly the impact it normally was. Historically when I’m sick I would carb out on toast, I think it was my body responding because of a psychological trigger.

Keeping a journal is a great idea with as much info as you like but things like stress and sleep are useful things to include. My sleep patterns have been a real problem and I am keeping a sleep diary. It also strays into other things about how I am feeling but very useful to look back on and see patterns. It could be something winding you up at work or stressing you out somewhere else. Maybe your sleep is off. Maybe you are coming down with something. Maybe you’re just more hungry and need more food on those days! That is OK too you know. If you are hungry - eat.

(Priscllla) #5

Thanks everyone! This is my first post and I really enjoyed getting answers. I looked at my logs and I think it’s a mix of a few different factors. Not enough fat which I’ve been having a hard time with regardless and I’m working on that. I’m ovulating, I’ll have to wait till next month to see if that’s a trend or not. But I think the biggest reason was that my body was desperately asking me for electrolytes! I was reaching for the fridge (again) and I got a leg cramp. I got some electrolytes in me and it really helped. I’m still feeling a bit weird today, and I’ve been eating out of habit again instead of when I’m actually hungry, but I know that’s a psychological thing rather than an actual physical thing. Thanks again for the replies!

just stay on track. your going to have stalls. I ran low on electrolights a few times. Best thing to do is get some supplements. Most people are highly deficient in magnesium and potassium.

as far as being hungry LOL… wait until you get really serious and start training your body and mind to deal with not eating anything! Your in the fun stage right now.

Keto is the first step. You have to get good at it. I was at 220 when I started. within 5 months I was at 160 with zero exercise intentionally. was using my body as an experiment basically. I just laid around and watched movies in my spare time. The absolute craziest thing i have ever experienced. Then I kind of hit a brick wall and had to progress.

The last 10-15 pounds are a whole different ballgame and require constant effort.

In my experience the body learns though. when i first started i was not as knowledgeable about what my body could take and a few too many peanuts would kick me out of keto. Now it seams like I can eat all the nuts i want and stay in. alcohol doesn’t kick me out either.

There is nothing like Keto… nothing. Once you get good at it and your body adapts fasting is also possible whether it be short term or long term.

i can tell you on day 26 I was eating like a pig. i remember lots of salads with grilled chicken, avocados and avacodo oil.

Best advice i can give you for your new journey is DO NOT CHEAT. This is a process of conditioning and discipline. I have not eaten sugar or bread in 2 years and dont miss it at all.

anyone telling you to cheat is setting you up for failure. You just going to set yourself up to go through metabolic shifts all the time and feel terrible.

(Jeff) #7

As others have said, I have to be constantly reminded by my hungry tummy, that I need to eat more fat.

I <3 Keto!

One trick when you get a hunger craving is to take a tablespoon of avacado oil or coconut oil. That will satisfy the hunger and keep you from eating excess calories.