Dave's Progress Thread - Year II

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #1123

Doing things yourself is awesome, but paying professionals also has an important place.

Yeah, I get that too and it’s even better when you find someone you like and is trustworthy. Which is not always easy to do, especially in this crazy ass world we live in now. :neutral_face:

But V would tell ya, I’ve always hated to pay someone to do something I can do myself, and for much less cost. Plus I enjoy it and really like doing things myself, knowing it’s being done right and everything that went into it. (Bit of an perfectionist I’m told. :slight_smile: ) Not to mention learning new things along the way. (I know I’m also fortunate to be one of those folks that seems to pick up quick & have always been good with my hands)

(Jody) #1125

i’m sorry about the news. :cry: Hopefully the diet will help.

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #1126

I hear ya.

Once I was talking to a coworker about how shocking easel prices are. They are basically 4 pieces of wood. A tripod with a cross bar to support the canvas. I can make that myself.

He laughed and said I sounded like a man. Why pay a reasonable price for something if I could do it for cheap if only I had this expensive tool?

And I was sold. Do it myself and get a fancy new tool? Deal.

Thanks Jody, we’re really hoping so. - I mean to see him, how he acts, eats, etc. You wouldn’t know he’s having any issues. So hoping to get some better results/news next week when they re-test. :slight_smile: :+1:

Well that’s a nice Feministic response from your co-worker. :smile: … But as rare as it is, I have indeed found on occasion where purchasing something already made can be cheaper. But this is usually mostly due to when a company buys in such bulk, they can keep the cost down lower then purchasing all the stuff for a DIY project. (But again, only rare and no where near as fun.)

Haha… Yes, this is easily the best part of all! :smile: … Always nice to purchase a new Toy, um, I mean Tool. :slight_smile: Then when you’re done, you start looking for other things you can do with the new tool. :+1: I have to admit, I do have a pretty nice collection of fun Tools now.

Well, I just got the call from the Auto Shop a little while ago… Turns out V’s Trail Blazer had one of it’s front Calipers blow out. Said the other one looks a bit rough, but it didn’t fail like the other one. Said it also blew out a strut on one side as well, so this may be why she almost spun out a couple weeks ago when she left the house? Can’t say for sure, but this has all taken place in the past couple weeks…

She said the vehicle just went into a sudden skid when she was pulling out onto the main road, nearly doing a 360° before stopping on the shoulder of the road. She was just pulling off so couldn’t have been going that fast. It wasn’t raining or wet pavement or anything, but it did scare the hell out of her. … I actually thought it might have been the tires being a bit low, and made sure they were properly inflated afterwards, but they were not that low so this is good to know about the struct. … So I’m having them replace both Calibers, struts and doing a front end alignment. Also having them replacing all the tires since they too are worn down some and lastly throwing in an Oil Change while it’s up on the rack. So in total it’s going to cost around $1800 :confounded: … But at least this will get her through the Wintertime safely where I was already planning to pick her up a new Vehicle next year anyhow. Will probably just keep the Trail Blazer for hauling the dogs back and forth, or anything else needed.

(Susan) #1130

I feel your pain, Dave… our 2009 van keeps costing us tons, but we don’t have the money to buy another one… vehicles are wonderful to have but also so expensive…

Yeah, they can be a pain indeed at times. (And seems to hit at the worst times too.) … But overall can’t say we’ve had many issues with hers over the years we’ve had it though. - Other then replacing Tires, brakes, etc. We’ve had the instrument cluster rebuilt after the gauges started acting crazy couple years ago, but nothing else major that I recall. But it is fifteen years old, so it’s been pretty good to us overall. :slight_smile:

(Susan) #1132

Our dryer died on us a few weeks ago, so we went to the store and bought a new one that we could put in the back of the van, and got our son to come over and help hubby lug the old one out, to dispose of at the dump, and hook up the new one (that I had to throw on a credit card) but we do tonsss of laundry around here, so it was a necessity to replace it immediately. The van we had to put $3000 on just a while ago, about about $1500 last year – we cannot get a new one, so we just cross our fingers that we can keep it going. Hubby has to have a vehicle to get to work. With his health, (not sure how long he can drive with his health issues) this will likely be our last vehicle so hopefully it lasts.

I am just so glad that your lovely wife didn’t have any accidents, vehicles are replaceable, our loved ones are not =).

Sorry to hear that, and thanks. … Hopefully your Van continues without any major issues for ya. And yep, as much as it sucks when it happens, you can always replace a vehicle. :slight_smile:

(Susan) #1134

All these annoying things happen to all of us; life is good as long as we have our loved ones around us to cope with it all =).

This forum is an amazing support as well, for real life stuff and our Keto journeys =).

I am hoping and praying for your dear doggie to be okay =).

(John) #1135

Right there with ya. My wife is still driving her 2001 Toyota and I am still driving my 2007 Nissan.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #1136

Still driving my ‘99 CRV. I should hit 100,000 miles by 2021. :cowboy_hat_face:

Yep, we’re right there ya’ll. I have a 2001 Dodge Ram and 2007 Harley Fatboy, so yeah they are starting to get a little older now. My Son had his 2000 Silverado until the transmission acted up a few years ago, so he picked up a 17 Ford Escape. Still didn’t want to get rid of the truck, but put the money towards his new one. But he already paid it off so is thinking about picking up another truck.

Week 77 Shows I’m up 1.5 lbs. for this week, but hell, last night’s meal was probably 2 or so lbs. :smile: … Actually took today off from Hunting. It’s been cold, which is good for hunting, but it’s also been extremely windy, which sucks and is not as good for hunting & I actually hate when it’s windy.

So I hunted in it yesterday, at the new place, and didn’t see anything. But again, winds tend to keep deer down most times too… I actually stayed home and did some work in the house, as well as went out and split the last cord or so of wood I had in the backyard. Took a few hours, but got it all done with my Son helping. He kept is coming to me and stacking it, so it surely helped. … Also lit the burn barrel and burned up all the small scraps and cleaned up the storage area on both side of the shed. But at least my little Popsicle ‘V’ can stay extra warm for the Winter. :smile: She actually stays quite cold most times, but this has been like this for some years now. And believe me, she gets that damn wood stove going too! … Just needs to make sure to let it cool down before bedtime, or the other side of the house where the bedrooms are, will be extremely cold. This is because the thermostat picks up the heat in the hallway, which is the warmth on that side of the house, so leaves the heat off for the rest of the house. Hell, we’ve never used the Fireplace which is down in the basement.

But as they say, wood warms you twice, once when you cut it, and then when you burn it. :slight_smile:

(Jane) #1139

How did Kito’s vet visit go?

(Ashley) #1140

I also stay quite cold, even when I get warm in the summertime my hands and feet stay quite cold. I have trouble regulating my body temperature. I still think everything that you describe with V , she has some auto immune issues!

Overall they’ve been going ok, thanks. :slight_smile: He’s always enjoyed going there and I think he just really loves the attention he gets. :slight_smile: All the folks there have always loved seeing him when he comes in. But he’s been dealing with the treatments quite well, and just hope after tonight, they won’t be needed?

I’ve been taking him up to the Vet every evening when I get home for the Fluid injections under the skin. (About a liter) He’s done this for the past week, with the exception of Sunday when they were closed. He will go again tonight and then Wednesday’s visit they will be taking blood and re-testing to see if his numbers are any better. :crossed_fingers: But he’s gotten sick some and has thrown up a few times on Thursday & Friday? Then was ok for a couple days, but ended up getting sick again last night. Not sure if this is the change in diet itself, the type/brand of food, or just the combination that we’ve been giving him? But we let them know last night and they plan to speak the Doc to see if he can give us something else for his stomach. (Had actually told us to get some Prilosec (Omeprazole) for just this, but it’s either not working, or we just need to maybe change up the combination he’s been getting? - V’s been mixing 1/2 can of the soft stuff, along with a 1/2 cup of the dry food, and he’s been eating this with no issues. And then gives him another 1/2 or so of the Home-made recipe they gave us since she had it already pre-measured. … So I told V to just try the soft/dry food today and cut out the Hamburger/Rice recipe and see how he does. :confused:

Very well could be? I’ll have to ask her if this has ever been discussed. Is this something you deal with yourself? With your staying cold and having trouble regulating body temp? - I know she’s spoken with the Doctor about it before, but not sure what all was said or if they talked about checking anything, etc… I think she really started seeing this (more) when they put her on blood thinners roughly 14/15 years ago? (I know it’s been a while, just not sure when she was put on them for life?) … But I did just split a bunch of wood for her the other day and have even more to do that her and my Son recently picked up while I was hunting. So she can at least get the wood stove lit up. :slight_smile: She loves the heat, smell and look of the fire, so yeah she’s a bit of a Pyromaniac. :laughing:

(Ashley) #1142

I deal with issues with heat and cold, blood thinners could make sense though as it’s known thing it can cause body regulation issues. I just know that V has had some medical issues and everytime
I read more about it, I’m convinced she has some auto immune issues. Maybe V should write down symptoms she has regularly and talk to her pcp about them.