Dark purple Ketostix

(Chris) #1

Happy friday everyone. Has anyone ever had dark purple readings on their Ketostix? I was reading a few different pages about it, a couple said you are dehydrated when its purple, some said ketoacidosis, some said throw the stupid ketostix away haha. I was just wondering if anyone ever got the dark purple and what it meant for them. Thank you for your time.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #2

Mine were dark purple before I was fat adapted.

Being at that level of ketosis will deplete your electrolytes, making you potentially dehydrated. But it was my understanding and belief that the high levels caused that and not the other way around.

(Chris) #3

Oh ok, that make sense. So I should probably up my fluid intake pretty high? I try to drink alot, but still have a dry mouth at times throughout the day :frowning:

(LeeAnn Brooks) #4

Up sodium too. If you drink too much plain water, you can flush electrolytes even more.

(Chris) #5

ok. do you recommend the power aid zero or what do you recommend in your experience?

(LeeAnn Brooks) #6

I do this when I fast 3 x’s a day. I also suck on rock salt throughout the day at work and I supplement with Magnesium Citrate.

If not fasting, I do 1 ZipFizz per day and salt and magnesium still.

And drink water to thirst.

Mine are purple at night …but light pink in the morning …then back to purple again by night time :thinking::woman_shrugging:t2:

(Chris) #8

I’m going to test mine in the morning so we can compare piss lol. Thanks dimples!

(Chris) #9

Thank you so much! Appreciate it very much

So can you have too high a level of ketones? My ketostix were pretty dark and now that my keto mojo meter came in today i measured 2.9 this morning and 2.8 an hour ago… this keto business is harder than college algebra haha! Thanks for the help

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #11

It meant I wasn’t drinking enough water while in the early stages of Atkins.

They are nigh useless, unless you are a T1DM patient or enjoy higher anxiety levels from worrying about whether you are in ketosis every time you pee.

Haha! Keep me posted :laughing:

(LeeAnn Brooks) #13

I wouldn’t worry about it. People will get a lot higher than that during fasts.

Just know that if you tend to have higher ketones, you will also be more prone to depleting your electrolytes faster and have to watch that closer.

Checked my level just now and its at 4.1… am I doing keto wrong? Should I try to lower my level and if so how do I do that without going overboard? Thanks for the help!

(LeeAnn Brooks) #15

It will go down when you become fat adapted. I wouldnt worry.

You’re the best. Thanks

(Paige) #17

Following- I’m 10 days in and mine are purple as well…just wondering if I not doing something right

(Paige) #18

How do you know when that happens?

(LeeAnn Brooks) #19

There is no test for it. You just go by how you feel.

Here are some of the most common benefits of being fat adapted:
Decreases hunger-able to go longer between meals and less need to snack
Decreased cravings for sweets/carbs
Increased energy
Increased endurance
Better sleep
Calmer, more consistent moods
Your ketone levels will dip down as your body begins to use more of them for energy. This is really the only verifiable way to know, but it’s not a foolproof way of testing because ketones can also dip down if you have too much carbs. But if combined with the other things listed above, it’s a good indicator that you’re fat adapted.

There are more and not everyone gets all of them, at least not to the same degree. You will start to experience a level of these before being fully adapted as it’s a gradual ramp up, not an on/off switch.
It took me 9 weeks to really know I was fat adapted.

I think im getting close to being fat adapted and its the best feeling that my diligence to this plan is maybe paying off. While my ketones are still high my late night gym session was the best yet. I managed to do my weights and then 50 min cardio without protest from my body. thank you Anniegirl9 for helping me keep a calm head about my ketone readings.