Dark Chocolate

(Teri) #1

Just wanted to share this because I’m a huge dark chocolate fan, and am always looking for brands with the lowest carb count and best ingredients. I’ve been enjoying this one for awhile, and some of you may as well. It can be found at any Walmart, usually on the bottom shelf with the other chocolate bars.

Also, if you have any other suggestions that have less carbs (5 total, 1 net) or perhaps a higher percent chocolate, please let me know!

(Steve) #2

I’d be tempted to e-mail their customer service to ask them about their nutritional label (3+4 != 5!!!)

Maybe 2 of the 3 grams are alcohol sugars, but they should state that. (why have two lines stating there’s 3g of sugar?)

(Marta Loftfield) #3

I think Europe manufacturers list net carbs on their labels.

(Teri) #4

I actually just read an article about the FDA updating nutrition labels a couple of years ago, and how they now have to reflect the amount of sugar that is “added”. So all of the sugar in this chocolate bar (in the ingredient list) is the added sugar. It isn’t naturally occurring. I wish I could find one that had no sugar at all, as I don’t mind the bitterness of cocoa. Maybe I should just start snorting the powder? Jk.

https://www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceRegulation/GuidanceDocumentsRegulatoryInformation/LabelingNutrition/ucm385663.htm

(Teri) #5

Hahaha

Edit: Also this is me everyday just staring into nothingness, counting my macros.

(Steve) #6

I am glad to see that there isn’t lecithin on the label (most lecithin, if it isn’t stated otherwise is Soy Lecithin) - and often doesn’t have any food regulations around its use…it’s the “chaff” that’s left over from separating out the Soy Oil and often contains pretty high amounts of hexane (aka paint thinner).

Many brands of chocolate use soy lecithin, unfortunately. (it’s a thickening agent).

(the alternative is sunflower lecithin - which is usually derived from cold pressing).

(Steve) #7

Heh…haven’t had coffee yet - it’s only 5:30am here…have to wait another 30 minutes before I risk waking anyone else in the house.

We need a catchy phrase like “hangry” for when you’re caffeine deprived. :slight_smile:

(John) #8

Montezuma’s Absolute Black 100% Cocoa. No added sugar. Nothing but cocoa. Not sweet at all, but not bitter. It is sold by Trader Joe’s in the US. My local store sells it for about $2.69 per 3.5oz bar.

(Mike W.) #9

This is the winner. So good and 2g carbs in 1/3 bar.

(Teri) #10

I know, that’s been my problem with finding a brand I’m ok with. This one even has actual vanilla beans rather than “vanilla flavoring”. But I still want to find better. I know it’s out there.

And it’s 5:30 here as well, so hello fellow west coaster. I’m drinking my BPC before heading out for a run. It’s 50° out. So at least that keeps me going because if I stop I freeze to death.

(Teri) #11

We have a winner. :grin:

(The amazing autoimmune 🦄) #12

I second the vote for montezuma ‘s chocolate bar

(Wendy) #13

I’ve noticed that too. The one I’m eating currently has that. I might try this brand next.

(Wendy) #14

Have you tried a baking chocolate bar? To bitter for me but some enjoy it.

(Mike W.) #15

(Bev Anne Moynham) #16

I think Lindt makes a 100% chocolate bar but it’s half the size of their regular bars at the same price. I just go for the Baker’s unsweetened baking chocolate which has no sugar added.

I usually use the 90% Lindt’s Supreme Dark and think they are just fine actually.

But the wife actually picked up some Ghirardelli Intense Dark 92% Cacao the other day. And it too was pretty good. … I’m not quite sure if I like them the same or one over the other? I need to actually sit down and try them both together, but when I tried the Ghirardelli, I’m thinking it was slightly less bitter. (Which I don’t really mind, but it may just be a little smoother too?) Or maybe it was just what I had eaten before trying them? Not sure, but don’t think either one was bad as far as getting in some good Dark Chocolate.

Snap! The 90% is good eatin’ & it always seems to be on sale :smile:

Yeah, the wife always catches it on sale at RiteAide, and if not CVS usually carries it for a little less when not on sale. … As you can see, we stock up a little. :slight_smile:

Come the choc apocalypse you’re covered!

We get e-mail alerts from our supermarket when our most purchased items are on sale - it always includes dark chocolate, pickles, liverwurst & tabasco. It’s like the Masterchef Mystery Box from hell :grin: