Dare I say better then fat head pizza

(Glenn larson) #1

If you live near Chicago, Lou Malnati’s has a deep dish pizza, with a crust made of sausage. No secret password needed, it’s on the menu. That is a layer of sausage, then cheese, the sauce. Holy smokes is it good.

Finally made some Meatza
What did you Keto today?
What did you Keto today?
(eljay716) #2

My friends and I make one similar with hamburger as a crust. This looks delicious!

(AnnaLeeThal) #3

Meatza!

(G. Andrew Duthie) #4

Looks good, but watch out for the sauce. Tomato already has a good amount of carbs, and that’s assuming they don’t add sugar to the sauce.

Still, probably a whole lot better than the standard crust version, even if it’s unlikely to be better than fat head from a keto standpoint. :wink:

(Meeping up the Science!) #5

It’s definitely a great option to eat out with folks who are dying for pizza. I did deconstruct this to make it at home. I keep carbs low by using my own pizza sauce I make, and just use a smidge. Still need to try fathead pizza.

Overall, I prefer just cheese and some sauce in a bowl with meat for “decoration.” LM’s isn’t bad, but I often get a stomachache a few hours after eating anything with their sausage. Same for Giordano’s. Dunno why. I’ve become picky about eating sausage out, sadly.

Only thing to look in to for next visit there is if they put any sugar in their sausage. It’s surprising that it is a common ingredient in even very savory foods, like sausage. Couldn’t hurt to ask. They would know if it’s house made sausage, and if it’s not, they should be able to check the label or ask their distributor.

(Cathy Schroder) #7

How do I get a green card!

It’s a regular for us!

(Tami Pratt) #9

I need this in my life.

While carlshead pizza is the defacto crust in my house… I think Italian sausage is cheaper per LB than Almond flour… :slight_smile:

Trying this tonight in cast iron pan.

Anyone have a time and Temp for a Sausage Crust Pizza? Do you make the crust first, bake, then put cheese and sauce? Tips and techniques are appreciated.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #11

Just finally got around to trying this. Went with the personal size, and I’m glad I did because I don’t think I could have eaten more. Very filling.

Definitely will go back when I’m in Chicago again. They also do mail order, but at $60+ for two small pies, that probably isn’t gonna happen often.

(Candy Lind) #12

I think if you look for the word sausage in the “What did you keto today?” Topic, you might find a sausage crust pizza in there somewhere.

(Candy Lind) #13

This was my biggest fear about keto pizza. My hubby likes lots of sauce. I found Rao’s marinara & pizza sauce early on - expensive but delicious and a carb level I can live with. Fingers crossed that he likes it! I have plans for some homemade sauce, but it hasn’t happened yet.

(Lee) #14

I make pizza sauce by mixing a small amount of tomato paste (like a TBS) and cream and adding the usual spices. It’s a good substitute.

I am drooling over the photos in this thread.

I love fat-head pizza but have renamed it “Two-pound pizza” because I gain two pounds overnight every time I eat it (because I end up eating half of the pizza instead of one slice).

(Lisa Maxey) #15

Oh my!!! That looks so fabulous!!! What a good idea!