Daft question about booze

(Ellen) #1

I’m part way through an EF but spent last night with some friends, didn’t eat but did have 3 g&t, as it’s zero carb does that class as breaking my EF? I know it means my liver had to break it down but does that mean it was a break in fasting?

First the body will process the alcohol from the Gin, then the body will start to process all the carbs from the tonic water. Depending on the amount of tonic water consumed and the amount of carbs in that tonic water, the body might drop out of ketosis for a few days.

Are you monitoring ketosis in anyway?

(Lonnie Hedley) #3

Fasting has a wide range of disciplines. Water fasting, fat fasting, dry fasting, etc. My personal thought is that if I’m going to get all the benefits of a fast, that means zero calories consumed, so I stick to water only (maybe 1 cup black coffee on my first day…or two). So to me, alcohol breaks a fast. Some people say if you need some fat, or bone broth to keep going on your fast, that’s ok (I’m not of that school). Nobody says if you need alcohol to keep on your fast, that’s ok. I’d say your 3 drinks broke your fast.

(TJ Borden) #4

Not a comment on the fasts no aspect (because I’m curious too), but unless it was diet tonic (which not many bars/clubs carry), there were some carbs. Gin is all good, but tonic is about 3 grams per oz.

(matt ) #5

Tonic is loaded with carbs. Use diet tonic (eww) or soda water as your mixer.

I would say just having the alcohol alone broke the fast and even more so when you add the carbs from the Tonic.

(Ellen) #6

Thanks all, that’s what I was afraid of. It was diet tonic so no carbs from that either. Oh well, I’ll just start again today.

(Lonnie Hedley) #7

That’s the best way to look at it. Now you know for future ladies nights.

(Ellen) #8

Yeah ketostix although forgot to take them with me yesterday so not sure if in ketosis today.

(Ellen) #9

Thankfully as it a night in they did have diet tonic.

(Ellen) #10

Yeah I think you’re right, esp as your body doesn’t need alcohol.

(TJ Borden) #11

We’re going to have to agree to disagree on that :cocktail::tumbler_glass::wine_glass::drooling_face: