CVS Glucose Meter Vs. Precision xtra Glucose Meter

(Rusell) #1

I purchased both a CVS branded glucose monitor and an Precision xtra glucose monitor.
While waiting for amazon to deliver the Precision extra I started testing with the one from CVS.
The tests from the CVS brand had my glucose ranging from the low 70’s to the mid 80’s. That’s great right?
However, when I started testing with the Precision extra my numbers were 30 points higher! After using a third monitor I borrowed from a friend I decided that the CVS branded monitor is wrong. It was giving glucose readings that were too low.

I thought I was in ketosis since I tested my ketone levels at 1.9 last week before I received glucose strips for the Precision xtra. So I have high fasting blood sugar of 120 and ketones of 1.9. Can someone help me interpret my numbers?

I’m relatively new to the forum but I’ve been reading and doing my own n=1 off and on. I believe that ketone levels greater than .5 indicate your body is in ketosis. Fasting blood sugar of 120 would be in the pre-diabetes T2 range. What I’ve been shooting for and over the last month have been able to achieve with the keto diet is fasting blood sugar less than 100. My ketones have been between 1.4 and 3.5, so I’m in ketosis but I don’t believe my body has fully keto adapted yet.

I’ve also noticed that the “dawn” phenomenon of my fasting blood sugar being quite a bit more than my bedtime blood sugar is gone. I used to consistently see a 20 - 30 point rise between my bedtime blood sugar and my morning blood sugar.

(Rusell) #4

Mine as well. I went to bed last night at 84 and woke up at 121 this morning.

(Rusell) #5

I don’t think I’ve adapted yet either.

I started my keto diet this time about six weeks ago with a 6 day fast. My main goal right now is to get my BS into the non T2 range, which i think I’m achieving. I’ve got a Dr. visit with labs in about a month and after I get my results I’ll post them along with my BS and ketone readings for the year. Good luck with whatever your goals are!

(Jacquie) #7

I’d stick with the Precision Xtra as it has a better reputation for accuracy. Have you heard of Segal’s law? :wink:
'Segal’s law is an adage that states:

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."[1]

The mood of the saying is ironical. While at a surface level it appears to be advocating the simplicity and self-consistency obtained by relying on information from only a single source, the underlying message is to gently question and make fun of such apparent certainty – a man with one watch can’t really be sure he knows the right time, he merely has no way to identify error or uncertainty.

Nevertheless, the saying is also used in its purely surface sense, to caution against the potential pitfalls of having too much potentially conflicting information when making a decision.’

THis is a very good point. Even if one or other is not totally accurate, the trends will be. So I agree, stick with one.

Next time you get a plasma glucose test, test your glucose before and after to see how well it’s calibrated. Then you can mentally add or subtract a few points for the one you use.

I had a similar problem when the cheap meter I was using became inaccurate compared to 2 other meters. I suspect it had something to do with temperature compensation on cold mornings. I’m now using the Xtra for daily readings.