Cutting carbs can increase your risk of diabetes

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #21

Huh. The Harvard School of Public Health must still be getting a lot of its funding from the sugar industry. Willett was one of of Frederick Stare’s students, and Stare was a good friend of Ansel Keys’.

(Chris) #22

You can’t tell me that a group of scientists and dietary luminaries who are part of a Consortium such as this just may have their moral and scientific compasses ever so slightly off true North. Call me a sceptuc

(CharleyD) #23

It is. It just isn’t in quite the direction his benefactors would prefer. Or else it doesn’t mean what he thinks it means.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #24

You’re absolutely right. How could I ever have doubted their motives? :rofl:

(VLC.MD) #25

In a bid to increase profits.

Here they are
http://carbquality.org/#about

Sponsors:
Fruit Juice association
Nestle
General Mills

I like how their website has zero studies. Essentially zero content.
Pretty big tell there.

(CharleyD) #26

So Scare Tactics, Appeal to Emotion, Appeal to Authority.

Are they interested in nutrition or running for office? :money_mouth_face:

(Duncan Kerridge) #27

A macronutrient has a lobby group?

(VLC.MD) #28

LOL.

We cant let the other macronutrients suffer !

We need to start a Fat Quality Consortium

Domain available !!!

(VLC.MD) #29

Homepage graphic … already made.

org

(Olivia) #30

“…in fact the research is very clear that when you include whole grain it is associated with lower risk of cardiovascular disease, diabetes and of weight gain”
I don’t think there is anything wrong with that statement. They are most likely suggesting a replacement of refined carbs with unrefined whole grains.

“…cereal fibre found in whole grains is most closely associated with reduced colon cancer risk”
Based on a quick sciencedirect-overview, that also sounds quite reasonable.

(Dan Dan) #31

Ok, I am dumb as a rock and have a low I.Q. but the consensus was that high starch, high sugar and low fiber causes high insulin with long duration and increases the chances of developing diabetes, cardiovascular disease and colon cancer :thinking:

Isn’t this a HCLF diet :thinking:

And a diet with “quality carbohydrates” “a full compliment of micro-nutrients and antioxidants” those low in starch and sugar, and high in fiber is associated with good health :thinking:

And this is a low carb diet :thinking:

(Duncan Kerridge) #32

No grains > whole grains > refined grains

(Marie Dantoni) #33

Study of one: My arthritis cleared within 10 days of quitting “healthy” whole grains.

(Duncan Kerridge) #34

I was discussing diet with my vegan nephew the other day, we were talking about refined carbs. ‘I avoid refined carbs’ he says, ‘my diet is full of whole foods - lots of veg, soy and pasta. I avoid bread’. I pointed out that pasta is made from flour like bread and he said it was ok because it’s whole wheat flour…

You can’t refine a food much more than turning it to dust so that the body can actually digest it.

(VLC.MD) #35

Look at the bogus story by these carbquality.org jokesters.

KF thread

(Sophie) #36

If grains are so good for you, why must the products made from them be “fortified” and “enriched”?!?! :roll_eyes:

(Richard Morris) #37

done :slight_smile:

(ianrobo) #38

ha ha cheers @richard !! but this whole thread to me shows why we are right and they are wrong, we are backed by science and N=1 stories … and all I can do is to help spread the message !

(Keith Johnston) #39

If this were a group from the US I’d say follow the money to see who’s really behind it.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #40

Bingo! :rofl: