Curious Blood Glucose Challenge Results

(R Alan Wells) #1

Hello everyone, let me first say thanks in advance. I’ve been lurking on these forums for a few days and have already learned so much!

For some quick background, I’m not pre/diabetic and have been eating keto for about a month now. It’s been going okay, but I’m still pretty low energy so I doubt I’m fully fat adapted.

Anyways, after discovering 2 Keto Dudes I decided to start measuring to make sure I wasn’t getting any unexpected glucose or insulin responses. First up was some sugar free gum sweetened with sugar alcohol (keto breath is a thing.)

My first shot at charting a glucose curve gave me some numbers that I’m not sure how to interpret, so I’m hoping to get some input from more experienced members.

The numbers in mg/dL:
T0: 89
T30: 76
T60: 93

My question is about the drop at T30 and if that could indicate an insulin response. I know it’s within the 20% margin of error, but just barely. My research also seems to suggest that if it were an insulin release, the BG drop would be expected more at the 60-minute mark. Ultimately, it seems inconclusive to me so I’m open to suggestions. Maybe I should just try it again?

(KB Keto) #2

I’m curios - are these just 1 day readings or average readings? glucose is going to vary daily depending on what you eat, your physical activity, etc. An average reading compared to your ketone readings would be more of accurate.

The 30 and 60 are your numbers after putting the sugar-alcohol gum in your mouth (30’ and 60’ respectively)?
I’ve been testing some foods for my bg response just out of curiosity, and I definitely see some ups and downs that I can’t quite explain, but your logic above makes sense to me, and a small release in insulin might not drop the glucose very much for very long.

I love this kind of thing, and it will likely indicate how much you can use the sugar alcohols in your diet. I would guess that if it provokes an insulin response, you probably don’t really want to use them too much… ? I’m sure someone with more experience re: ketosis and sugar alcohols will have more to say about that.

(R Alan Wells) #4

Thanks for the replies, you both have a good point, not so scientific to gloss over the method section. These are all from one day, here’s a quick run down of my steps.

1. Woke up, low amounts of physical activity and nothing buy water for about 3 hours
  2. Took T0 BG reading for a baseline
  3. Stuffed four pieces of gum in my mouth and chewed for about 5 minutes (I don’t normally do four pieces, but figured a higher ‘dose’ would help make any result more significant.)
  4. Waited 30 minutes, then took the T30 BG reading
  5. Waited another 30 minutes, then took the T60 reading