Crisis: I really don't like eating this way

I am doing well physically but I am at a point where I prefer fasting days over eating days, because I don’t like eating this kind of food.
The food I naturally feel attracted to is vegetarian, no dairy, whole grains, lots of fruits and vegetables, tofu. Kind of Asiatic. Butter and oil. The best I ve ever looked was after a winter in Thailand.
But now I am 135 kg…

Maybe not the right question to ask here but, do you think that if I do a diet like that and fast every other day my insulin could still go down?
I don’t know what to do, there is so much science backing keto but I really can’t stand it, how am I going to persuade myself to eat this way for years?

(KCKO, KCFO) #2

Then don’t eat this way. Look into paleo or vegan, find something you can live with and do IFing. I have a friend who is vegan and she eats lower carbs now, and has an eating window from 10AM to 4PM she is at a weight now that she hasn’t seen since her early teens (she is late 40s) and is very happy eating grains and some fruits with the veggies.

Good luck sorting it all out.

(karen) #3

You say “eating this way”. What are you eating that you don’t like? Or is it what you’re missing that you like a whole lot? Maybe we could offer some alternatives. There are plenty of protein sources that aren’t animals, plenty of fats that aren’t dairy, and plenty of veggies that aren’t high in carbs.

(Ron) #4

The things I tend to eat are eggs, ham or mozzarella. Also comté cheese, in small quantities. Then vegetables. If my husband cooks there will be meat, he loves cooking whole little chickens, and curries. Or sauteed meat with vegetables.

I miss the grains with the vegetables and I miss vegetable soups I used to do a lot in the winter, cooking for ex.carrots in water with half a spoon of rice plus butter, blended when ready.adding spices like coriander and sometimes a spoon of creme fraîche. Those soups, done with different vegetables, I used to eat them almost every day for lunch. And I miss fruit and pressed oranges. Even writing the word pressed oranges makes me feel good. I know, loaded with sugar!

I am not much of a cook… I can’t be bothered. Was it for me it would always eat soup for lunch and rice and.veggies for dinner. Also before.going keto I adapted to eat meat just because I don’t have time or desire to make a different meal for me, but that could change given that I am already doing separate keto.meals sometimes. As a child I was raised with meat and very few carbs and I hated it. I was fit.though, there’s that.

How does she get enough proteins? That’s my main problem with vegan. I tend to eat too few proteins.

That’s an idea, I hadn’t thought of it.

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #8

I’m not sure of the scientific answer but to me, eating carbs raises your insulin levels. So how can your levels go down regardless of fasting if you are still spiking your insulin every time you eat carbs? Makes no sense to me.

(karen) #9

I use riced cauliflower instead of real rice. It’s not exactly the same but it’s a decent substitute - where I live I can buy it frozen (already riced), which makes it very easy to substitute. Tofu and tempeh both have enough protein and few enough carbs to make them keto-worthy. I can’t suggest much of anything to substitute for non-berry fruit (I miss it too), but maybe you could just treat yourself to a high(er) carb day once a week that included some fruit or grains, and eat vegan keto the rest of the time?

(Omar) #10

Meat is delicious

First, thank you for making me laugh:

You have quite the conundrum, so you are attracted to the science but not the food. What I find interesting about your post is that you phrase it as if you are unique in liking carbs. No one here hates carbs and probably wouldn’t choose to eliminate them if they weren’t deleterious to ones health.

I have seen quite a few similar posts lately, suggesting those who adhere to the diet are in some sort of cult with a few of you looking in. I too am new to this way of eating (not for weight loss but for health) and it has been a huge mental battle for me to reverse the paradigm I lived by my entire life. But, complaining about not liking fresh real foods, meats, cheeses, nuts, fish, butter, cream and a few berries sounds more like an excuse not a crisis.

I don’t agree, my problem is not that I miss eating carbs, well a bit, but mostly that I don’t like the bacon, the steaks, the fish etc.
I don’t even like avocados…
It’s like a diet especially designed to make me miserable. If it wasn’t for the science backing it up I wouldn’t have even started it.
I see it also in my posts in the forum, many are like: why don’t you do the Kraft test so you find out if you actually NEED to do keto? And you guys answer, no but I want to do keto anyway!
This said, I am losing weight between keto and the fasting, and fasting is super easy in keto state, when I don’t fast I need to eat only once or twice a day… There are huge advantages to keto. I just don’t know if going so much against my taste is really wise. I mean I am conflicted, if I wasn’t I wouldn’t be posting, I would just make my soup and say keto is not for me goodbye

Yeah exactly you really got to my core dilemma. Science corners me pretty badly. Also the keto vegan diet that was posted, ugh I hate tempeh as well. And I would guess I could eat ten grains of rice a day if I am to eat vegetables too? I am cornered

I didn’t say you miss eating carbs, I said you like eating carbs, as does everyone else.

In answer to your actual question I found a study for you, not sure that it addresses your insulin question but, alternate day fasting seems to have positive outcomes on weight loss for those who are obese/overweight, as well as lowering coronary disease, but whether that is because of the weight loss or fasting can’t be determined.

Yeah I am already doing alternate day fasting. But the whole losing weight thing has to become a lowering insulin thing if not I’ll gain the weight back. And if I undo in the eating day what the fast achieved in lowering insulin and insulin resistance I wouldn’t be getting anywhere.

I got my sister onto keto too, she doesn’t eat meat but does eat diary and eggs. She is doing really well and loves the diet too. She makes a mean kale soup and a cabbage one too. I can get the recipe for you if you like.

Yeah sure. Thanks

(Irene ) #19

I’m not much of a cook but really want to stay on this lifestyle mainly because I’m seeing results with my type II. I ended up ordering keto meals delivered (temporary) you know, the ones that send you all the ingredients and you just have prepare it. I did this because I just didn’t know where to begin and what to make. I wanted my meals to be creative because I love to eat! I’m hoping I can take note of all the meals sent then after a month or so it may spark some creativity and options. The company also has vegetarian, gluten free, carnivores & vegan too! You can even mix and match your menu each week too! Just a thought…if you’d like the name of the company let me know and I’ll send it your way. All the best!

I live in France. Thank you for the offer.

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #21

You could absolutely have soups everyday.
Use cauliflower as a base to make it creamy, add low carb veggies to your content. If you are active a carrot from time to time won’t kill you.

What is it you like about the rice in your soup? Would hemp hearts be an option? Amazing fats, vegan protein, grain like texture …