Crisis: I really don't like eating this way

Interesting the hemp hearts I’ll check if they sell them here

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #23

chia seeds in coconut milk also make for a great pudding/oatmeal replacement.

Anything else you miss? I found there are really few things you have to “give up” for keto. There is most often a nice alternative…
and the longer you go, the more likely you will be happy with simple keto and not want to spend hours on end in the kitchen…

@crickette
About liking/missing the carbs, there’s something very american in the attitude you express. When I lived in Florence, if you saw in the street a chubby girl do some jogging, all red in the face yet heroically pushing through, you could bet she was American. You guys are great workers and there’s something in there I guess that comes from your Puritan background. I am from a Catholic country and I tick a little differently, and so far it’s worked better, I find, in matters of the body, for us not to be so eager to renounce to things we like. I mean there is a different attitude to food, that’s what I am saying.

Anyway I am fat so whatever works for my people hasn’t worked as well for me, evidently…

I’m not American, I am from Europe, with a Catholic upbringing, just like you. I agree that the European approach to food is very different, mostly in that we don’t allow as many chemicals into our farming, I believe there may be a missing link to some of the issues we have today in the food chain.

Unfortunately, you seem to have missed what I was trying to express to you, i.e. we are all the same with the same struggles: fat, thin, Italian, American, etc but it seems it was lost in translation. In short not liking a food isn’t a crisis.

The recipe I promised earlier:

Spinach Soup

2 bunches Spinach or Kale
1/2 chopped Cabbage
1 diced Zucchini
1 garlic clove
4 sprigs of parsley
2 tbsp Olive oil
Pepper
Chili
Any spice of your liking is acceptable.

Finely chop the garlic and parsley, add to the oil and set aside to be added later.

Boil the spinach once then strain the spinach and rinse with cold water.

Bring one pot of water to the boil the add the spinach, raw cabbage, zucchini and/or any other vegetable you like.

After the vegetables have boiled for about 5 minutes add the garlic/parsley and oil mixture, as well as the seasonings, again to your liking.

Boil for an hour adding water as needed.

Scoop out 3 ladles of the soup and mix in a blender, once it has thickened pour it back in with the rest of the soup. (You can use a hand blender to roughly blend the soup in the pot too)

Serve hot.

I would first suggest you take some time and educate yourself a little on how SERIOUSLY unhealthy all those grains, most fruits, and tofu are for you. In the long term many vegetarians develop a lot of issues thanks to that way of eating. It seems you’ve looked into the science FOR keto (congrats) but also look at the science of how bad your old way of eating was (may help the brain let go). With THAT said, there is plenty of people doing vegetarian keto. Fasting every other day would absolutely help. What specifically aren’t you liking about the eating part? Most people with complaints like this are typically limiting themselves WAY more than they need to and repeating the same stuff over and over which you don’t have to. Maybe you just need some new food ideas?

(Sarah Bruhn) #27

There are plenty of vegetarian and vegan keto options! https://www.ruled.me/comprehensive-guide-vegetarian-ketogenic-diet/

There are HEAPS of recipes for asian style dishes for keto including great curries and stir fry, shitaki noodles or cauliflaur rice… you don’t have to eat lumps of meat and veg if that is not what you enjoy. Get creative, get researching, there are whole books devoked to vegetarian keto.

I already fast every other day, I do 42h very easily thanks to keto, and it’s one of the things I appreciate the most.

Science, I know the science. But I have also seen science change idea about a lot of things.
I know for a fact that before I got fat I absolutely thrived with whole grains and lots of vegetables and fruits, plus tofu and the occasional meat or seafood. And I wasn’t 20, I was 37. Maybe I am not particularly sensitive to carbs unless there is an established situation of high insulin and/or insulin resistance. It all began for me with a problem (still not quite resolved) of insomnia and huge stress. So if I am lucky at some point I score under 30 in the Kraft test and get back to eating healthy but more to my liking.

I don’t think I really want ideas. I actually don’t really care for fake desserts and pizzas. Also in the 2kd podcast I always skip the recipes section. Maybe later. Thanks for the offer though :).

Yeah I eat like that already, but keep carbs under 20g. Thanks though

(Sarah Bruhn) #30

so what you are specifically wanting is wholegrains and high sugar fruit? because that is the only thing missing… you could eat berries and the lower carb fruit and chia seeds ect but it sounds like you just don’t want to do keto. And honestly that’s fine, your body, your mouth, your choice. Hope it all works out for you :slight_smile:

Sorry I sound so grumpy. I don’t wanna do keto but I have to, so I’ll stop being mopy and just find other sources of satisfaction.

(Sarah Bruhn) #32

why do you have to? i’m not worried about your mood :slight_smile: I understand feeeling frustraited and I just would love to help.

I have to because I need to lower my insulin. That could be done by fasting alone. But if I undo whatever progress the fasting has caused by eating rice and peaches in the eating days, well that is not too smart isn’t it?

Dr Fung says that the Chinese were fine eating rice, it was when they began to eat sugar that they developed hyperinsulinemia. But in my case, as I suppose I have already high insulin and insulin resistance, rice would cause a lot of insulin production.

(Sarah Bruhn) #34

Can’t say i disagree, small meals of carbs when you are insulin sensitive if very different than carbs when you are metabolic deranged but I love eating keto… it was a process though, over time i lost the cravings for the carbs i used to love- for me it was pasta and bread and yes fruit too. I am 12 months into low carb and 6 months into keto, Maybe this is a process for you too?

Maybe

(Edith) #36

The soup that you are describing doesn’t sound like it would be that high in carbs. Plus, with the butter and creme fraiche, it has fat. I don’t see why you couldn’t eat your soup.

(Bunny) #37

“Naturally attracted” to tofu sounds weird to me, it’s the very definition of non-natural food.

Yeah tofu has acquired a bad reputation. I am not making theorical considerations on the foods I listed being healthy or natural, they just happen to be food I love eating.

(Brian) #40

Hope you can figure out what works for you, margo17. Eating food you don’t like isn’t sustainable in the long term.

I’ve known of a man who had cancer and knew how to control it with a very strict diet. He did for several years. But the diet was overwhelming to him, enough so that he eventually decided it wasn’t worth it. He died shortly after abandoning his special diet. I know that’s a very specific situation that may not apply to you. But it does illustrate that it’s awfully hard to stick to a diet that you don’t enjoy.

I hope you are able to find a solution that works for you whether it’s keto or not and you are able to find good health.

Best of luck!

Thanks