Crème Fraîche Sauces & Cauliflower Cheese

(Tom) #1

Crème Fraîche is an amazing ingredient, if you haven’t come across it it’s a thick cultured cream with about 30% fat that’s naturally thick so there are no added thickeners unlike there might be in sour cream. It has a softer taste and more fat than sour cream (typically 20% fat). It’s stable at medium to high heat and doesn’t curdle like regular cream can, and you can use it without having to make a flour based roux for sauces.

2 minute Blue Cheese Sauce - serves 2

• First cook your steak and make the sauce in the same pan while the steak is resting
  • Deglaze the pan over high hear with half a cup of stock and scrape off all the nice bottom of the pan flavours
  • Add 2 desert spoons of craime fraiche and lower the heat a bit
  • Stir in. It might go globby and not mix in evenly… don’t panic, it’ll smooth out after a bit of stirring
  • Add some blue cheese, I mix in about a desert spoon worth of rocquefort so it goes smooth in the sauce, and then add a second desert spoon but crumble it in and leave it in lumps
  • Add black pepper, it probably doesn’t need salt as the cheese is salty
  • Pour over steak and enjoy!

Easy Cauliflower Cheese

• Turn on the grill to warm up or pre-heat the oven to about 220C
  • Blanche some cauliflower florets - about 1/2 a small cauliflower for 2 people.
  • Meanwhile melt a cup of grated cheese (cheddar, emmental, gruyere etc… a mix is good!) in a cup of crème fraîche over a low heat, add salt and pepper.
  • Drain the cauliflower, it’s important to drain it as much as possible
  • Arrange the cauliflower in an oven proof dish. Pour the sauce over (might need to melt it a bit again if you haven’t got the timing right and it’s come off the heat waiting for the cauliflower)
  • Grate some more cheese, either the same or something like parmesan/grana padana, and sprinkle it over the top
  • Put under the grill or in the hot oven until the cheese browns.

Easy and no need to start with a béchamel like you normally would!

(What The Fast?!) #2

what does desert spoon mean?

(Felix) #3

Dessert spoon… maybe a tablespoon?

(Tom) #4

A giant spoon the size of the Sahara. However I meant dessert spoon. Not sure of the US terminology… I’m talking about the spoon you might have used to eat your cornflakes with in the morning in your pre-Keto days. This might be a table spoon in the US as @felix says. However a tablespoon for me is something you might have on the table to serve the veggies with, so bigger than a dessert spoon. Confused? Divided by a common language!

(Valerie Williams) #5

Teaspoon in US

(Tom) #6

Nope, 1 bigger than a teaspoon!