Cream question for Brits!

(Becky Searls) #1

Hi friends! In in London and I just ordered my typical “flat white” with half whole milk and half HWC but noticed he barista stated back to me, after checking that they had it, that it would be half “pouring cream”. It rang a bell so i agreed. It tastes great, but I’m super curious now–what is the difference in fat content between HWC and “pouring cream”? I’ve also heard there are single, double, and even “clotted” creams here? Any brits out there able to clarify for the rest of us?! Regardless I think I love it!

(Nick) #2

You’re lucky to find a coffee shop in the UK that added any cream to your coffee - it’s not a common custom here, and requests for it would more usually lead to quizzical looks, or the assumption that you wanted a sweetened whipped frappacino-style drink.

Pouring cream is just a name for unthickened single or double cream when … used for pouring :slight_smile:

As for the rest of your question about creams in the UK, my reply here might help:

(bulkbiker) #3

As @bokkiedog has said there are different types of cream in the UK with differing fat content.
The single cream you probably had in your coffee is usually about 18% fat with 3.9% carbs (3.9g per 100 ml)
Double cream is about 48% fat with 2.6% carbs which if they have it is better.
Clotted cream which is too thick to pour and has to be spooned out of the container is about 60% fat with 2.5% carb and is without doubt the one to eat by the spoonful… could even be better than a fat bomb!
While you are over here you should try some…Rodda’s is my favourite and should be in most big supermarkets but is definitely to be found in Waitrose.
In a Starbucks they usually will have some but you have to ask specifically… it won;t be out on the counter. Check the labelling for fat content but it will most likely be single cream.

(Nick) #4

You’ve experienced unsweetened cream at a UK Starbucks? They told me the only cream they have is whipped and sweetened for their “pudding coffees”.

(bulkbiker) #5

Yeah they had a plastic catering container with I guess single cream in… They handed it over and I poured it in my Americano… This was in Gatwick I think…

(Nick) #6

Gatwick: probably a special service for travellers from other lands :wink:

(Barbara Greenwood) #7

I now routinely ask for Americano with pouring cream, and they go in the fridge and fetch a container of single cream. Not as good as double, but lower carbs than milk. Haven’t tried a Starbucks yet, but all the other big chains I’ve had no problems, and most independents have managed it as well.

At home I buy double cream for use in coffee, cooking and on berries. I occasionally buy clotted cream as an extra treat, it only for berries. It doesn’t really work in coffee.

(bulkbiker) #8

I just eat spoonfuls of clotted cream straight out the pot… no fruit involved…

(Michael Wallace Ellwood) #9

Agreed. Clotted cream is the best. however, as said, you spoon (or shovel…) it out.

One of my disgusting habits is to mix thick full fat greek yogurt with extra thick double cream or clotted cream. The sharpness of of the yogurt means you can eat more of the clotted cream without feeling queasy. I can eat rather a lot of this mixture, right off the spoon…

I’m not really a fan of coffee joints, but I don’t remember seeing any form of cream on offer whenever I’ve been to one. East, West: Home’s best.

(bulkbiker) #10

I do the yoghurt double cream combo too… great isn’t it.
Sometimes I add a few frozen raspberries in to get a slight ice cream texture in parts…where the cream freezes around the fruit.
I’ve never seen cream out on offer but find that if you ask for it they usually have it.

(Becky Searls) #11

I did, yes! Just today, at Waterloo station Starbucks ! “Pouring cream”

(Becky Searls) #12

Yum good idea! I was told to eat it with scones so this is good to have a keto way to eat it!

(Stickin' with mammoth) #13

So, would clotted cream freeze into an ice cream-like substance that you could scoop?

(Barbara Greenwood) #14

No idea - try it!

(Stickin' with mammoth) #15

I’m gonna try it first with whipped cream, something tells me that will be fabulous with blackberries.

(Nick) #16

Cream freezes solid unless combined and prepared as a gelato or ice-cream. But my custard recipe does produce good frozen custard treats.

(Nick) #17

I know you’re joking, but this is an interesting insight into how the lipophibic mainstream still clouds our perceptions: even in keto land.

Imagine someone said “on of my disgusting habits is to mix cherry tomatoes with cucumbers in a salad!”

You’d think them rather odd :wink:

(Barbara Greenwood) #18

I am so glad you said that. Makes almond butter with a spoon from the jar and double cream swigged from the carton so much more acceptable.

(bulkbiker) #19

I doubt it… it needs to be scooped when fridge temp I would imagine it would go completely solid if frozen.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #20

Excellent notion.