Coworker Conversations

zerocarb
humor

(Meeping up the Science!) #1

Conversation this morning with a coworker. (And yes, I told them I was totally posting this, ha.)

Coworker: But, but what recipes do you use?

Me: I pick meat. I cook it. I sometimes even add… salt!

Coworker: How do you cook without a recipe?! (sound of mind being blown)

Me: …

(Guardian of the bacon) #2

Coworker kinda sorta has a point. I mean if you’re using a sous vide you a least need time and temp. :sunglasses:

(Tony Sheldon) #3

When I first got married my wife was like this a lot. I’d just throw crap together that I liked and she couldn’t fathom cooking without a recipe.

(Guardian of the bacon) #4

Isn’t that how cooking is meant to be?

(Tony Sheldon) #5

Absolutely!

(Charndra Pile) #6

Yeah, it’s now really about learning, or experimenting with, cooking techniques, recipes now means meat combinations!

(Genevieve Biggs) #7

My coworker is appalled at the amount of bacon I eat. “How do you not get fat?” He asked. :joy::joy::joy:

(Sascha Heid) #8

Imagine their looks when you begin to eat your meat raw.
My coworkers are used to it by now, it’s like one of them eating cookies.

(Kerri Hines) #9

Lol!
Another group I participate in a guy mentioned eating nothing but ground beef for 30 days and someone said they would consider giving it go but worried about getting bored and asked if he had recipes or a meal plan.
He ended up answering so politely. I don’t know if I could’ve without a at least a little sarcasm.

(Genevieve Biggs) #10

I would’ve said, “Losing weight and feeling great isn’t boring to me, but whatever floats your boat.”

(Terry) #11

Yesterday a vegan coworker came into the break room as I was heating up some bacon. She asked if I was eating again (since I had been fasting during lunch). I told her I do eat, but only meat & animal products right now. She literally ran from the break room screaming “Oh that is so gross!!”. :grin:

I work with a group where most of the folks are overweight or obese. For the past 3 years I have been the ‘fittest’ person in my workgroup. Many of these folks have inquired as to what I ‘do’ to stay fit. I tell them but never push my lifestyle. The other day I overheard a conversation between two of these coworkers…one whom I consider a friend. They were bashing the keto diet, and me indirectly, with comments like 'it’s unhealthy ’ and ‘you can’t stick with it’. What the fuck… they’ve watched me stick with low carb eating for 3 years and I’m perfectly healthy! It pissed me off and it hurt me. Both of these people are overweight and have complained to me about their medical issues. OK…rant over.

(Genevieve Biggs) #13

That’s so frustrating. Sorry dear. :disappointed:

@Rosemarie, their bashing was not about you…it’s about themselves. Instead of being courageous and trying something new (that they see evidence of it working) they would rather spend the energy to tear you down, have you join their eating habits, and get fat & sick like them, and of course ultimately win their side of the argument.

This happens a lot when people lose weight, or come clean with drug addiction, or other breakthrough life changes…the old entourage goes crazy and tries to pull the victim back into their vortex of misery.

(Dustin Cade) #15

In my department at work I’m the only keto person, though one of my coworkers is low carb and close to keto but isn’t as “militant” I also have a vegan on my team, funny thing is when work provides food, neither of us eat… they know about my lifestyle change and are aware of my progress…

(Jacquie) #16

Cognitive dissonance. They need to rationalize what they’re doing.

(Guardian of the bacon) #17

Hey Rosemarie,
Fellow Michigander here. I don’t really have much constructive to add, just wanted to offer moral support.

Take comfort in the fact your butter and bacon tastes a hell of a lot better than their day old stale donuts.

Someday the medical field will wake up and we will become the mainstream. I see glimpses of hope here with medical professionals fighting the fight.

Thank you jfricke. I think I was most upset that someone I consider a friend and who has watched me transform my body over these years would completely discount my lifestyle. That is why I love this group. I’m not left feeling like a freak here!

(Guardian of the bacon) #19

How long have you been Keto? We started last April.

I started in Oct after one of my fitness coaches went keto and had amazing results. I had been following a primal/paleo diet for about 3 yrs and was eating under 100g carb per day. started off with a couple of the 'athletic ’ keto groups and found the people critical and often downright mean to those who weren’t as fit or didn’t follow the macros to a T. Then I stumbled across the 2 dudes podcast and then the Facebook group. I’m finding that i feel better with this WOE than I did even on the primal diet (which contributed to me being in the best health and shape of my life). My goals with keto are to lose bodyfat, control my HTN (and get off this damn water pill which doesn’t even reduce my BP but my doctor insists I keep taking it), and prevent diabetes (runs rampant in my family).