Coworker Conversations

zerocarb
humor

I really like this forum. There is a sense of support and respect, as well as logical thinking (ie show me the science) that I don’t see in other groups on the web. It’s quite amazing really. I won’t name what the other sites are…but, wow, what a huge difference with this forum.

(Kerri Hines) #22

I agree. I’ve participated in a MFP group for almost 2 years that I really like and doesn’t have any drama and I think it’s because it’s not specifically keto. It’s all low carb including carnivore so nobody is pushing any one certain “right” way. Much like I’ve found in this forum. And they keep an assortment of organized links to trustworthy resources to use.
I think that’s the key to low carb sanity when it comes to so many people working together to learn, practice, understand and progress.
I really need to leave one facebook group I’m in but it’s like a train wreck! I want to be there to be a voice of reason when I can but it’s just too hard when 100 silly comments or terrible ideas drown out the decent advice. I’ve noticed nobody ever asks questions of the OP on those places… they take the tiny bit of info and just shovel the same advice without even asking questions…
Sorry for rambling. :hugs:

(David) #23

I sit next to a guy that posts his 3 mile runs every few days on Facebook.

I take great delight in snacking on my bacon and creamcheese when he’s at his desk.

I can’t wait for him to notice that I’m losing weight.

That’s going to be one of my NSV’s, lol.

(Charndra Pile) #24

I know, I am on some other places, and geez, the Woo Woo. I feel like sending all of them to Skeptoid and SGU daily, but don’t of course. Instead I sift for the gems I need and scurry back to the evidence-minded individuals.

(johnp71) #25

I am grateful thaty coworkers are supportive and professional about my dietary choices. I’ve dropped over 50 lbs and nobody concerns themselves with my lunches or lack of snacking.

(đ૯αท ʍ૯ઽƬѳท) #26

Same here. Amazing how people just won’t try casual and freehand cooking

(Murray Stromberg) #27

Just a thought: diuretic (water pill) may reduce magnesium levels and increase risk of T2DM (both low magnesium & water pill). Magnesium levels in a majority of the populations are low, I am told. Thinking magnesium supplement may a good idea. The lab test to get done is a “RBC magnesium level”, serum magnesium tells you noting of help.

(Raj Seth) #28

It hurts them. Not you. You are healthy and healing.
They are just unable to fight their addiction. You do you, let them do them
KCKO

When they say ‘keto is unsustainable’ they are ACTUALLY saying ‘I think keto is unsustainable, because I don’t think I could stick to it, and I have tried and failed with too many diets to try another one when which I think is too difficult for me’.

Most of us have been there, if we admit it to ourselves.

I see enthusiastic exercisers and think exactly the same thing, even now.
And when I approached keto, it was after years of steadily cutting carbs down, and avoiding bread, and pasta, and then all grains.

The first time I read Dr Bernstein’s The Diabetes Solution, my reaction was dismayed disbelief. I honestly didn’t think that ANYONE could live the way he wants people to live (around 30g carbs a day, regimentally split between 3 meals).

Now? I am cheerfully Zero Carb.

We all need time to make the journey, and sometimes the journey is too intimidating to even take the first step. Fair enough. We all live with our choices.

(Jeanne Wagner) #30

When I was a kid, my mom would have the hamburger meat on the counter to make patties for dinner in the frying pan. I would always sneak as much raw meat as I could get away with. It was so delicious, I wanted to eat it all that way even though I had already been told that it was full of ‘ick’ that had to be killed during the cooking process. I won’t go into details (unless asked) because I don’t want that stuck in anyone else’s mind. But as I grew older I ate the raw meat less and less and finally stopped because now I am totally indoctrinated to those thoughts and I really believe that if I were to eat raw meat I’d get sick - like I could die sick. You know, the kind of meat you buy from Walmart, Winn Dixie, or Publix (that’s the biggies in my area).

So, what is the ‘in the know’ information on eating raw meat, the safety of it? I do know that I feel better the more red meat I eat. Not so much chicken or pork, although I love a good pork chop or ribs. I haven’t yet even had a pork belly (I need a recipe! LOL!!). I cannot yet tell if that’s because I was eating under what I should be eating, or if I’m leaning towards carnivore. Carnivore really intriques me though. I get bloated and have a lot of gas when I eat more than a minimum amount of veggies a day, like > 1-2 cups.

(Chris) #31

Guy’s a little goofy but pretty knowledgeable about raw meat.

(Jeanne Wagner) #32

Ewww gross… yes this is the stuff I was being told about. I really should not have watched this right after I had lunch. :nauseated_face:

Oh and yes I thought he had makeup on too… yikes i feel bad now. I figured it was just a video thing, like he was trying to be professional… some people do that even when not on broadcast tv.

(Chris) #33

He blames a lot of his issues on soy formula where his siblings were breast fed. The eyebrows are a totally different story and the way he explained it made me want to laugh and cry. TLDR they thinned out and he used a hair restoration treatment to shape them the way they’d look best…oof.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #34

Meat can be safe enough to eat raw, but you really need to trust your source. that is the principle behind sushi, after all. Steak tartare and carpaccio are not completely “uncooked,” but are marinated in an acid that breaks down the meat somewhat and kills bacteria somewhat. Given the state of the food supply in the United States, I wouldn’t trust raw meat from any source I did not know intimately, although I am not paranoid enough to be afraid of meat cooked rare. But salmonellosis and eschericiosis are not fun, trust me.

(Jeanne Wagner) #35

Yeah that’s pretty much what it boils down to. I don’t trust meat from my local store to be eaten raw. I’d have to source something, or just go move to a wooded area and start to learn the way of the land. You know? lol Dang, after watching that raw meat video, I don’t want to eat meat at all. BLegh.

(Aimee Moisa) #36

Hence why am not watching it, sometimes ignorance is better. :slight_smile:

(Norma Laming) #37

Yes that would’ve hurt me, a lot. I’m surprised because most people I come across accept these days that pretty much everyone will have their own approach to diet.