Could this bread be the answer to this Aussie’s LONGING for vegemite on toast?

(Bunny) #21

That’s the chemical structure of Alloxan, what the flour bleachers don’t want you to know about!

Why I would steer clear of white bread i.e. white bleached flour? …then we throw bleached refined sugar in it? …and then we wonder what causes diabetes?

It is a dam shame we live in a world where we are more concerned about aesthetic appearance of a bread or pastry then for our own health even if it kills us dead? It should be ILLEGAL to create a iron curtain on this subject but the grain and pharmaceutical industries have too much invested and a lot to lose if they tell you the truth, they must keep us fools dependent on the insulin and processed foods with the hand shake system and keep the bread and donuts nice and pretty to our eyes and bellies so we will consume it without question?

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #22

Lol, my comment wasn’t intended to sound rude.
You can have whatever bread you want on your journey!
I’ve had many conversations where people have posted a similar type bread and were horrified to discover it didn’t conform to the strict keto diet they were trying to achieve. I wasn’t assuming that’s what you were doing etc. I am sorry if I came off a little harsh.

I am glad you have found something you enjoy!

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #23

I agree Charlotte, as I said, I did not mean to sound rude at all.

(Jane ) #24

We have a bread company near me called Pigs Fly bread. They make a low carb wheat bread. 5 ingredients only, smaller slice, quite dense. 5g carbs. I keep a loaf in the freezer so that when i have the urge to throw my wagon off the cliff after lighting it on fire i will have a slice toasted with PB or with my eggs and that alone will keep me from diving face first into a loaded pizza. Is it perfect? No. But dont let perfection get in th way of progress.

(Martha Mac) #25

I can see how that would happen here mate! Totally understand :slight_smile: Just don’t be dissing on my toast man! You cannot take my toast away from me!!! Hahahahaha sound like an addict don’t I!! Hahahahaha! Whatever you do don’t separate me from toast!! Too funny! I mean at the end of the day it’s just TOAST! But I also get it that for some people it’s not “just toast” and it can be increadibly detrimental to their health! So yeah I can see what you’re about and why and respect that.

Truth be told, my tummy hasn’t enjoyed the toast too much at all and it will no doubt be a few months more before I give in to my vegemite on toast cravings and end up with a bloated belly again! Gluten free or not, this stuff does give me some digestive issues I have not had for months so - it’s something to be aware of when making informed choices about what we put in our mouth :slight_smile:

Cheers and KCKO!

(Martha Mac) #26

Hahahahaha exactly! When I throw my wagon off a cliff and light it on fire (and that’s WHEN not IF) I at least want to stay as lc as possible! :joy:

(Martha Mac) #27

See below comment - I get it and respect it :+1:

(Martha Mac) #28

Ok in the spirit of open, frank, friendly and respectful discussion :wink: what do we think of this one? Exact same problem? Not as bad? Just as bad? Marginally better if you’re going to eat any of this crap?? Don’t bother with the brown? Or???

Also bearing in mind the point of my VoT obsession is more about the crappy white bread the vegemite goes on than anything else :rofl:

This might be my favorite thing I’ve read on this forum!

Have you tried making mug bread? It is actually quite good.

It is the easiest idiotproof recipe I’ve tried and at least you know what’s in it. I toast it the make grilled cheese, it perfect and very filling.

(nina) #31

My favourite!

This one is also good if you slice it & pan fry along with bacon

(Charlotte) #33

I don’t think you sounded rude, and I’m sorry if I implied otherwise. I just feel it’s important to point out (especially for the benefits of newbies) that keto can be very personalized and exists on a spectrum. I know when I was super new to it (which wasn’t all that long ago–I’m only about 6 months in), I was extremely overwhelmed, and it helped me a lot to be able to start out with things like low carb wraps and such without feeling like I was failing at keto by doing so.

(Karen) #34

Slippery slope.

K

Not my experience but I’ve certainly seen bread work that way for some. Salt & vinegar peanuts are my kryptonite :cry:

That would be true if the “if it fits your macros” way of thinking wasn’t as failed as the CICO model. 20g of carbs most likely wouldn’t kick you out of ketosis if they were from green veggies, but if they were from white flour and other high GI things… Definitely wouldn’t have it with fat. If you’re gonna go a little rouge with the carbs once in a while, drop the fat.

(Martha Mac) #37

I can say I’ve had no measurable impact to scale, keytone levels of otherwise by having one slice of this with butter and vegemite on two occasions since this post - keeping the carb count within my daily macro allowances. I’ve had some extra tummy rumbles and “noticed” my internal digestion processes going on a bit more than usual on the days I ate this bread however - although not enough to bother me overly just “noticed”.

This is certainly not to say others would have the same experience as I have or wouldn’t. Everyone has to do their own experimentation and work out what works for them because everyone’s body is different. Mine is ok with this. Others won’t be.

This being said. I’m going to look into better options than this and do intend on trying the recipes posted here. I’ve tried the oopsie bread and it’s not to my taste. I will keep trying others though. I’ve enjoyed the cheese idea also thank you!

I don’t mind other people’s opinions or I wouldn’t bother to post asking for them :slight_smile: I am also a scientist though so I like hard experimentation as well and for my n=1 on this bread I’m going to go with the outcome I’ve discovered through my personal experimentation I.e. it’s not the best for me, but it’s not the worst either :slight_smile:

(Sophie) #38

I’m not an Aussie but I have to ditto this recipe! It’s one of my fav all time lo-carb breads, and I’ve been lo-carb for a loooong time. It’s a great, flexible base to add your own seasonings (garlic powder, onion powder, etc.) and it’s quite lovely if you want to slice it, toast and add your icky vegemite (:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) with loads of butter of course! Bon Appetite! :smile:

(Martha Mac) #39

Agree. It’s the best.