Could This Be Keto Flu?

(Jane- Old Inky Crone) #1

OK, So I’ve finally figured out that I wasn’t really doing a keto diet before, just low carb. Then, I went on a year long carbage binge. But, now, since March 6, I have been doing Keto to the best of my ability and I’m still having some issues that I need to ask about. Every time I eat anything I get nauseous 1/2 to 1 hour later. If the meal was high fat, I get disaster pants as well. During my first 3 weeks I was exhausted all the time and not sleeping much at all. I’m gradually sleeping better, and have more energy now, but the nausea and sometimes diarrhea continue. Someone please tell me this is just keto flu and will pass eventually!

(Lazy, Dirty Keto 😝) #2

Yes, it will pass eventually and yes it’s likely due to electrolyte imbalance (aka “Keto flu”) - make sure you’re getting enough potassium in your diet.

(Jane- Old Inky Crone) #3

Thanks. I use “Lite Salt” (I think) the kind that is all potassium, in my daily cup of bone broth along with a lot of Redmond RealSalt. I noticed today that when I ate some salt after becoming nauseous it seems to help a bit.

(Consensus is Politics) #4

Take it easy on the potassium supplements. I was adding about 1/8 tsp of No Salt brand name potassium to my “ketoade”. I wasn’t adding more than the RDA, not even close to it. Maybe half. But my last blood work panel came back .1 high for potassium, and .1 low for sodium. And I was worried I was gonna O.D. On salt I was taking so much.

Being so low carb on Keto, our kidneys allow more sodium to flow out. I’m guessing something is going on with Aldesterone, the hormone that balances sodium/potassium. When that hormone isnt balanced, we get too much of obe electrolyte while not enough of the other. I’m guessing low levels on insulin can cause some bouncing around effects of all the other hormones, including the ones effecting the kidneys, thus giving us the infamous keto flu.

Potassium can add up really quickly. Avocados have almost 100%?of whats in the RDA for potassium. Again, go gently with it. If you know you are eating foods that have it, you probably arent defecient.

One tip I learned was when I began to feel a bit off, was too put a teaspoon of salt in a glass of water and sip on that for a fee minutes. Or, just put a fee pinches of salt under my tongue, and let osmosis take care of it. Usually results in less than a minute.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #5

Two things: If you keep your salt intake up, you don’t need to worry as much about magnesium, potassium, and calcium, because the mechanisms that regulate them are all interlocked with sodium regulation.

Secondly, cut way back on the vegetable oil, and cook with butter, tallow, lard, and bacon grease. The high polyunsaturated content of the vegetable oils can cause nausea; PUFA’s are also inflammatory. Stick to saturated and monounsaturated fats, and you should be fine. The best oils (for salad dressing and mayonnaise) are avocado, cocunut, and olive.

(Maria Ortiz) #6

The change in fiber is likely causing your digestive issues. Are you eating lettuce by chance? For some reason I developed a horrible issue with lettuce 2 years into keto, especially iceberg. This sensitivity came and went and my doctor and I never understood it. Do not attempt to supplement potassium on your own and if you don’t even know if you’re deficient. Too much potassium is just as dangerous as too little. Adding in avocados or even onions should be fine.

(Jane- Old Inky Crone) #7

I saw your post about potassium a few days ago, and have been cautious about the amount of the lite salt I use. Maybe I’ll just lay off it for a while and just use my regular RealSalt. I did put some salt in my mouth today when I was nauseous and it seemed to help.

(Jane- Old Inky Crone) #8

I haven’t been eating lettuce. It just puzzles me as to why, now that I’m eating way less fiber, I would be having issues with diarrhea. I had started out eating a salad every day, but felt it was filling me up too much and I wasn’t able to get enough calories and fat. I’ve historically eaten way more fiber than most people do with lots of raw veggies and cooked greens, so I imagine this is quite a shock to my system since I’m going from eating meat maybe every 3 days to having meat and fat every day.

(Jane- Old Inky Crone) #9

Thanks Paul, it seems unanimous about the salt vs potassium issue. I think I’m going to stop the potassium and just stick with salt.

I haven’t used vegetable oil in years, I’m a big believer in the healthy effects of natural fats like butter and olive & coconut oils. I should probably learn to make my own mayonnaise, I’m terribly allergic to soy, among other things, and the only decent mayo I can find is made with canola oil, so I rarely use any mayo.

(Maria Ortiz) #10

Try to supplement some fiber with flax meal. I used to mix 1/4 cup in one of my meals or made muffins with them. Too much fiber and too little fiber have the same negative affects on your digestive system. But like you, my stomach is always really calm when I eat tons of junk food but it’s a hot mess when I do keto.

(Jane- Old Inky Crone) #11

I hadn’t thought of flax meal. I’ll try that, thanks!