Correlation of fever and sugar?

(purezion ) #1

Hello! I’m going to state my issue first, then present my question. Sooo I have unfortunately come down with a cold (maybe covid). Last week I fell very weak, then sore throat showed up along with shortness of breath. It has exacerbated my asthma. Dry cough during the day, however at night I am coughing up green stuff. One dr said that a productive cough with green is not covid… I got tested anyways.

Anyways onto my question… Could being in Ketosis be preventing me from having a fever?
I have a friend who works at a hospital. She told me that green phlegm is a sign of an infection. She gave me a list of helpful tips to use until I can see a Dr for medication. She was surprised that I still have yet to have a fever! Covid or not, green phlegm is usually associated with a fever. Green=infection thus our body uses the fever to fight it off. I have not gotten any better and now worry about walking pneumonia. The covid testing site told me that I am not allowed to go to a walk in clinic and to stay away from the ER unless I feel like I’m dying and can’t breath.

Here’s a quote of one of the tips to bring relief at home: “The body is going to dehydrate with the elevated temperature, so you must rehydrate yourself regulaly, whether you like it or not. Gatorade with real sugar, or pedialyte with real sugar for kids works well. Why the sugar? Sugar will give your body back the energy it is using up to create the fever. The electrolytes and fluid you are losing will also be replenished by the Gatorade. If you don’t do this and end up in the hospital they will start an IV and give you D5W ( sugar water ) and normal saline to replenish electrolytes. Gatorade is much cheaper, pain free, and comes in an assortment of flavors.”

My ears perked up when I saw “real sugar”. I am already keeping hydrated with various electrolyte supplements. However, they are all keto friendly supplements sweetened with stevia or monk fruit.

Could being in Ketosis be preventing me from having a fever???

(Allie) #2

I don’t know, but I also had symptoms and never got a temperature… :thinking:

Some people do develop a wet cough, that has been reported. It is also apparently known that raised blood sugar Is a major risk factor so why sugar… ? I don’t get that either.

(Gregory - You can teach an old dog new tricks.) #3

Keto’ers get their energy/fuel from fat.

The advice from the standard of care health providers is just going with traditional information regarding nutrition.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #4

Still helping to keep me healthy. I also continue to take a daily dose of zinc/quinine as per:

https://www.ketogenicforums.com/t/chloroquine-and-hydroxychloroquine/99703/5

I wear a mask on public transit, but not (yet) at work (Walmart).

For what it’s worth, I am 74 going on 75 and live in Vancouver, Canada. I agree with @OldDog that conventional nutritional advice is not applicable. Ketones and fatty acids provide more energy per unit than glucose and other good stuff that you won’t get otherwise.

I thought old adage was “Feed a cold. Starve a fever.”?

Researchers infected mice with either a bacteria that causes food poisoning or a flu virus.

All the mice began to eat less after falling ill, but some were force-fed food or given pure glucose. After 10 days all the bacteria-infected mice who had continued being fed had died, while more than half that had avoided food lived. But it was the opposite in those infected with the flu: More than 75 percent lived if they had been force-fed, while only about 10 percent lived if they hadn’t. Food was protective against the virus, but detrimental to the bacterial infection.

“To our complete surprise we found that force feeding was protective” in viral infections, Medzhitov said.

Intrigued, the team conducted more experiments, and found that glucose, but not proteins or fats, was the dangerous component of foods during a bacterial infection. The study was published Thursday in the journal Cell.

Not sure what that means specifically for keto? Sounds like keto may be the best for both situations?

(Joey) #6

In the hospital, can one opt for leeches … instead of the sugar water IV drip? :thinking:

As choices go, it seems less upsetting to one’s room mate than a do-not-resuscitate request, no?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #7

I have had some sort of sinus infection for decades (never can get the doctors to believe it, alas!) and have been coughing up (or sneezing out) green phlegm for that whole time, without usually running a fever.

There are many indications of infection in the body, and fever is only one of them. It tends to be more helpful in the case of bacterial infections, rather than viral ones, and there is such a thing as a localised inflammation without a systemic fever.

The advice you quote about sugar is framed with the standard dietary advice in mind. In the case of someone in ketosis, it is not usually helpful advice, where most bacterial and viral infections are concerned, since most germs thrive best on glucose. An except is the SARS viruses (CoVid 19 is also designated as SARS-2), which thrive on ketones, not glucose. A strategy recommended by one scientist who has studied these matters is to eat ketogenically to strengthen the immune system, so as to fight off infection; but if you become infected with CoVid 19, then supplement your diet with carbohydrate to provide glucose for fighting the virus. It’s counter-intuitive for many of us on keto, but it’s backed up with solid data. Avoid vitamins A and D for the duration of the crisis, because they stimulate the cells of your body to express more of the receptors that the virus uses to enter the cells (most other infectious agents make their way in through a different receptor).

Do a search on “Chris Masterjohn, Ph.D.” and head for his site. It has some very useful explanations of how the virus works and how to fight it off. I think Masterjohn has his head up his ass on a number of issues, but on this one, he seems to be right on target.

(purezion ) #8

I was thinking this too lmao. :joy: like great, I’m gonna get better but also going into a sugar induced spike of a coma while I’m at it

(purezion ) #9

Wow very interesting! Thinking maybe I should try to carb up to fight this if I test positive.