Coronovirus Prediction

I wish people would stop comparing the US outbreak to other countries: Oh, such and such has xxxx infections while we only have xx. Hence, we successfully prevented it. All the while, the other country has tested everyone and their brother and found a lot of infections, while we have no tests and have no idea who all may be running around out there passing it on.

I understand that we must avoid a panic, but that doesn’t mean we should hide the truth. Information, medical information, is crucial so we can decide about our own lives.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #11

The US outbreak is following the same pattern as other countries, so comparisons are apropos. No other country was prepared beforehand either. Everyone plays catch up. China denied there was even a disease for over a month, from beginning of December to mid January. Then lied about the actual number of infections and deaths for another month. The issue is that ordinary flu is far worse (so far) and hits every single year, infecting millions and killing thousands. If you’re older and/or have immune weaknesses and/or other heath issues, yes, you need to take precautions and not wait for government rescue.

As I said elsewhere in this forum, I am prepared, I am just tightening my yearly flu precautions, I am old and 50 years of asthma means compromised lungs. I would die both from flu and virus. The difference is, I can get flu shots, and some day we will have shots for Corona. Corona is disrupting the economy already, it’s not just ships and planes, it’s all interconnected.

I am merely saying that giving out accurate information is important to avoid panic and give people a sense of control. And accurate info is that we have absolutely no idea what the infection rate in the US is, because there are no tests being done as yet. So, peeps would do well to take precautions.

Facts matter.

(KCKO, KCFO) #13

People are being tested if they have symptoms. My state is keeping us updated daily. I’m huge risk as well, pneumonia 2x & over 65. But I am not panicing.

(Scott) #14

I am not at risk but I run a business and worry about down time, spreading from employee to employee. Once we are sick we can’t really go out to customers like daycare and plants to service or install so we are pretty much down for two weeks or more.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #15

@velvet I am 74 and have spent the past 4 months (since Nov) sick and sick again with flu and/or bacterial colds. I’ve been able to control symptoms with OTC remedies to avoid missing a lot of work, although I have missed some. Fortunately, I have also avoided pneumonia so far. The warmer weather of spring is just around the corner so the end of it is near. I’m pretty much almost back to 100% again.

Now COVID19. There are active cases already here in my community of North Vancouver. So it’s probably circulating in the general populace. I am exposed almost daily at work (Walmart), both to staff and customers who may be non-symptomatic carriers. I am further exposed traveling to/from work on public transit. I have just purchased an aerosol mask for use on the bus. At work I use alcohol to swab my hands multiple times per day and avoid touching my face. I keep my distance from others as best I can. I don’t intend to wear the mask at work - yet - but I may if things get worse before the weather gets warm.

If an otherwise healthy keto individual gets Coronavirus, would increasing dietary carbs be beneficial to them?
(Ken) #16

This contagion is World Wide. If you doubt me, search “Escape from Wuhan” as millions of possibly infected people left the city before China admitted anything was going on.

(Scott) #17

I haven’t checked this out but was on the phone and the rep said what is weird is there are no cases in the southern hemisphere where it is summer. Maybe that indicates we in the north are going to get a break until next year soon.

(Paulene ) #18

Here in Australia we have 101 cases and 3 deaths, as of today.

('Jackie P') #19

It’s worth remembering that of the numbers of cases cited, most have had a mild disease and are now better, with lifelong immunity!
If it wasn’t for the number of vulnerable people I come into contact with, like my Mum and patients at work, I would welcome a dose! Two weeks off! I have loads of food, and toilet rolls, and a box set of the whole series of The Sopranos that I haven’t had time to watch :joy:.
The attitude of work to illness is usually ‘dose yourself up and get yourself in’ !!
Seriously, I have a good immune system and enjoy my own company! Then I would know I was immune to the whole damn thing and could help anyone I needed too. :slightly_smiling_face:

(Rebecca 🌸 Frankenfluffy) #20

Mr S has a high level of anxiety about it, but given that he’s on immunosuppressants that’s understandable. His mum isn’t a well lady at the best of times and her sheltered housing have told the residents that they are stopping their regular get-togethers. She is already feeling isolated.

We’ve talked about it a lot, and we can all just do the best we can, with common sense hygiene and looking after ourselves the best we can - supporting our bodies with food, water, fresh air and good sleep.

I’m thinking que sera, sera - because whatever happens we need to deal with it. I’m trying to keep things in perspective. But with three significant health conditions in our household of two, it’s a bit of a worry.

(JJ) #21

The rep was telling tales.
I live in the Southern Hemisphere and it is here. Well and truly. It is now not only imported cases from people who have recently traveled, but the first community transmissions have begun.

I suspect it is even much more widespread than we know, as currently the Australian Government is only recommending that general practitioners screen only those recently returned from overseas or a known contact from an already confirmed case. Other people who do not fit these risk categories who are displaying respiratory issues or cold/flu like symptoms are not being swabbed at this time. I believe this is erroneous and do hope that our government soon advises GP’s to screen anyone who is displaying symptoms.

It is still hot and sunny here ‘down under’ and yet the virus is taking off. I am sorry to say that don’t count on getting a reprieve when your weather warms up.

(Utility Muffin Research Kitchen) #22

You omit that there are several ways in which keto is protective.

• Low blood glucose and presence of ketones is one path. This may not be of much use for viral infections.
  • The other is that we have less systemic inflammation. That is, our immune system is less occupied with perceived threats (like LPS) and more ready to fight real infection. Also the signalling tends to be better, because we’re not flooded with ROS from metabolizing glucose and n-6 PUFAs.
  • Keto is also better for the microbiome, and a healthy microbiome is protective against all kinds of infections.

(Utility Muffin Research Kitchen) #23

Of course. A virus will die faster in a hot environment. If an infected person touches a door handle for example, the virus won’t survive long if that handle gets hot from sunshine. So the infection may spread a bit slower, but it will spread nevertheless because obviously there are other paths of transmission.

Warm weather will help simply due to the fact that droplets carrying the virus will not spread as far. Going by what I watched the other day, a sneeze will travel something like 6 feet in cold and low humidity conditions, while on a warm day with higher humidity the droplets will drop much faster. It will still be around but transmitting it will be harder.

(Karen) #25

Good plan velvet…stay safe

(Karen) #26

That percentage seems to be about the average. And less than SARS.

Every cold I get always goes badly into my lungs. I have asthma and it worries me, but we do what we can. I think the news media has been irresponsible in hyping up Coronavirus. I think showing empty shelves in supermarkets for various goods is unhelpful. But what do you expect from the media.

(Karen) #27

I wonder if it is more of a factor that people are outside more in the summer and not cooped up in buildings with recirculated air. Just a thought.

Sorry to say this. Maybe not.
It appears there is a second wave some people are having: get better, get cleared but then it comes back. That has been documented with people in quarantine, testing clear but then reinfecting.

(Chris) #29

whisky

Say no more fam.

If an otherwise healthy keto individual gets Coronavirus, would increasing dietary carbs be beneficial to them?