Coronovirus Prediction

(Susan) #42

When I went grocery shopping at Costco on Saturday, when we entered the store (my grand daughter sitting in the cart) they wiped the cart down (after I had already had my hands on the part she wiped anyway) and they were sold out of Rubbing Alcohol (that I had on my list) and I saw a lot of people stock piling things in their carts.

I only saw everyone in masks when I was at the hospital last Tuesday night with my grand daughter and one of my daughters. A lot of people were coughing and getting tested I guess? but we didn’t seem to catch anything (thankfully).

(Tessa) #43

Here in Washington state, I’m about 40 miles outside of Seattle/Kirkland where the majority of the cases are. Just in the past couple days there are now 14 cases in the county I live in. I already know there is going to be a lot more reported too over the next couple weeks as more tests become available. I’ve been doing what I can to stay healthy. Going to stock up on what I can for the freezer. All the stores around here have been out of hand sanitizer, rubbing alcohol, and Clorox cleaning supplies for weeks. After I’ve done my stock up shopping trip I will stay home as much as possible and limit my time in public.

Stay safe & healthy everyone!

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #44

(Doug) #45

I have one brother who lives in Cleveland Heights, Ohio, USA, and there’s a case of Corona Virus right in his block on his street - 1 of 3 in the state of Ohio (population ~11,750,000). :thinking:

I will stay home, even if I get sick. All they can do is put you on oxygen (have it in the house) and give you electrolytes (have that too). In the end phase, they will put you on a respirator to see if you body will still pull through once it doesn’t have to breathe -an iffy chance of survival. Plus there are not enough respirators around here, even in normal times, for all the people with COPD exacerbations.

So I will stay home, period, instead of risking even further exposure without any benefit.

When we run out of stuff, creativity can commence. It’s going to be a mass learning time.

Looking at this thread we can see the effect of the virus. Fear, stories and denial spread faster than the infection. While we seek safety and factual information.

What will be important is community and helping and supporting each other. The ketogenic forums will be popular and busy as people share tips and things that work. It’s what we have always done.

It’s nice to know there is a community to chat with when quarantine starts.

(Paulene ) #48

(Omar) #49

I have a feeling everyone will eventually get the corona.

We have not seen the peak yet.

China new cases only 25 cases in the last 24 hours, but there will be another wave .

The scary thing is not the death in my opinion, it is the pain with no one can help.

sorry for expressing my opinion very negative

(FRANK) #50

I was pleasantly surprised to find I have a natural aptitude for “social distancing”. Never heard those terms before, but my wife says I’m an expert. I may write a book, or perhaps the lecture circuit - NOT.

(Utility Muffin Research Kitchen) #51

I’ll give you that this study merits further investigation. And it is an interesting read indeed. However, it is a single study that uses a mice model, where keto mice were fed 100% olive oil or 100% protein. Also mice have a different metabolism than humans…

So far I haven’t heard that people on keto are more vulnerable to viral infections in general. Also there is this study recently discussed on hyperlipid that seems to contradict the study you cite.

Seems like more research is necessary.

(Omar) #52

there are corona infections, and related deaths in countries south of the equator

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Well, it seems Michigan has its first two cases. Two different counties, both are among the most highly populated counties in the state. And…the story breaks on the news the morning after our presidential primary. Thankfully, I live over 500 miles north/nwest said counties.

The downside is, the weather is cold and dry currently- so traveling droplets can certainly move around here. Hoping for the best; planning for the worst. Not freaking out, but am prepared to keep the family nourished and as healthy as possible.

(Ashley) #54

I live about 60 and 70 miles from the first two cases in Michigan. I’m not worried for me, more for my dad!

I also worry more about my parents. Both 70+. Mom is a cancer survivor and dad is obese. Hopefully neither of them catch it and if they do I hope it’s before the healthcare system might have to decide who gets what type of treatment.

I see people with masks every time I go anywhere.
We have a LOT of Asians here in Southern California.

I don’t wear masks but I do wear gloves (black automotive style Nitrile)

And…breaking news in Michigan… As of noon today, Michigan State University is suspending classes until April 20.

My hubby found out early, as he is at another university in Michigan recruiting students at a job fair. Extended spring break, or doing this out of an abundance of caution? We do not know.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #58

My mom’s Finnish family farmed near Houghton and Atlantic Mine. Are you by chance anywhere near that area? Her dad not only farmed, but worked as a lumberjack and miner as a young man. At the age of 12, I spent a glorious summer on the farm and always remember it fondly. I had a couple of ‘pet’ chipmunks, one of my baby brothers had an unfortunate encounter with a skunk, every Saturday grandpa and grandma had too much to drink at Schmidt’s Corner on the way back to the farm from the farmer’s market in Houghton. I misbehaved every chance I got. :innocent:

Yep, sure am! Houghton county is what we call home! My hubby’s Finnish family immigrated from Finland to Hancock. Then, Hancock to the Houghton side. We roam this whole area from Chassell up to Copper Harbor…just love it! There is LOTS of misbehavin’ that can be done!! LOL!!!

Looks like they have underplayed this thing.

Michigan Tech Univ and Northern Mich Univ were both just shut down…

wondering if they know something we don’t know. It was only just this morning that the Wayne County and Oakland county cases were announced. 3 Universities now, stretched out nearly 550 miles? Its only 2pm!