Coronovirus Prediction

(JJ) #21

The rep was telling tales.
I live in the Southern Hemisphere and it is here. Well and truly. It is now not only imported cases from people who have recently traveled, but the first community transmissions have begun.

I suspect it is even much more widespread than we know, as currently the Australian Government is only recommending that general practitioners screen only those recently returned from overseas or a known contact from an already confirmed case. Other people who do not fit these risk categories who are displaying respiratory issues or cold/flu like symptoms are not being swabbed at this time. I believe this is erroneous and do hope that our government soon advises GP’s to screen anyone who is displaying symptoms.

It is still hot and sunny here ‘down under’ and yet the virus is taking off. I am sorry to say that don’t count on getting a reprieve when your weather warms up.

(Utility Muffin Research Kitchen) #22

You omit that there are several ways in which keto is protective.

• Low blood glucose and presence of ketones is one path. This may not be of much use for viral infections.
  • The other is that we have less systemic inflammation. That is, our immune system is less occupied with perceived threats (like LPS) and more ready to fight real infection. Also the signalling tends to be better, because we’re not flooded with ROS from metabolizing glucose and n-6 PUFAs.
  • Keto is also better for the microbiome, and a healthy microbiome is protective against all kinds of infections.

(Utility Muffin Research Kitchen) #23

Of course. A virus will die faster in a hot environment. If an infected person touches a door handle for example, the virus won’t survive long if that handle gets hot from sunshine. So the infection may spread a bit slower, but it will spread nevertheless because obviously there are other paths of transmission.

Warm weather will help simply due to the fact that droplets carrying the virus will not spread as far. Going by what I watched the other day, a sneeze will travel something like 6 feet in cold and low humidity conditions, while on a warm day with higher humidity the droplets will drop much faster. It will still be around but transmitting it will be harder.

(Karen) #25

Good plan velvet…stay safe

(Karen) #26

That percentage seems to be about the average. And less than SARS.

Every cold I get always goes badly into my lungs. I have asthma and it worries me, but we do what we can. I think the news media has been irresponsible in hyping up Coronavirus. I think showing empty shelves in supermarkets for various goods is unhelpful. But what do you expect from the media.

(Karen) #27

I wonder if it is more of a factor that people are outside more in the summer and not cooped up in buildings with recirculated air. Just a thought.

Sorry to say this. Maybe not.
It appears there is a second wave some people are having: get better, get cleared but then it comes back. That has been documented with people in quarantine, testing clear but then reinfecting.

(Chris) #29

whisky

Say no more fam.

If an otherwise healthy keto individual gets Coronavirus, would increasing dietary carbs be beneficial to them?
(Bunny) #30

I will re-omit if your burning only fat (high ketones) in the presence of a viral infection, it will kill you dead!

No if ands or buts period as you omit!

You eat sugar and carbs and lots of it to heal from a virus.

The reason the Corona Virus kills the elderly is because of the size of the thymus gland between the heart and the sternum, that is the core of the immune system and gets smaller as you age, its size determines the strength of your immune system and cross talk communication with the microbiome not a keto diet nor any amount of autophagy from fasting is going to save you from a virus.

If an otherwise healthy keto individual gets Coronavirus, would increasing dietary carbs be beneficial to them?

That’s the way Lyme disease is also.

('Jackie P') #32

“Did a Woman Get Coronavirus Twice? Scientists Are Skeptical” https://www.wired.com/story/did-a-woman-get-coronavirus-twice-scientists-are-skeptical/amp
I did say ‘most’. I don’t know if you have more evidence for what you say.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #33

I don’t think there is evidence of either position. Corona is a new virus - an unknown, with unknown outcome. Other viruses also work either way, so no conclusions can be drawn at this time. Everything presented would be anecdotal.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #36

A few notes from the front lines.

22592456-600x400

Someone is telling a lie and I hope it’s just the media overplaying this but I’m afraid they may actually be understanding the issue. I read where a highly acclaimed college in the U.S. told their students to go home for the rest of the year today. That stuff doesn’t happen for a regular flu. Told the professors to close out classes and everyone to be off campus by Friday. I wouldn’t doubt many schools, churches, and the such shut down within a couple of weeks depending on how fast this thing spreads. The national guard was also sent into an area to clean. My question is when did the national guard start sanitizing towns? I had bought a few extra bottles of sanitizer and disinfectant (would eventually use them anyway) back in January just because I had a gut feeling they were underplaying this thing. I had refrained from stocking food, but today I went and bought some frozen stuff the kids would eat, froze a couple of clearance briskets, and bought a jar of peanut butter if things go really crazy. I hope it doesn’t go there, but something is just not right.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #38

Someone’s lying alright. Another voice of reason, just asking:

I live in a pretty small town and was kind of freaked out to see multiple people in the grocery store with masks on today. The Clorox wipes for the carts was empty with used wipes everywhere. Like I said, either this is going to be a much bigger deal than they let on or it will be pretty much nothing.

I’ve not bought anything that we won’t eventually use, so that’s a good thing.

(PJ) #40

A couple of first hand accounts from doctors in Italy. Their people also thought that it was probably overhyped, until it wasn’t.

In my Walmart – this is off Route 66 in NE Oklahoma – stuff like gloves and sanitizer etc. is cleaned out. The store ran out of bags (!) and is making everyone buy cloth bags as a result, promising they will get more soon. Store is packed. Right now everybody feels like it’s safe but may not be before long, so they are stocking up.

I did that end of Jan, merely because I realized I had lapsed in my ordinary ‘always have stuff handy just in case’ (for storms, in my case mostly), not a big deal, and mostly stuff I cannot eat on keto but if needful could.

I suspect before long the stores will be closer to empty.

I have no idea how serious it is, except that it is certainly very serious in the countries where it has had a little more time, and that most viral stuff seems to hit in waves where the second wave (next colder season) is twice as high.

Edited to add: every person I know except my 6 months old grandson is either older, overweight, or has some kind of medicated health condition, missing gallbladder, whatever, the list is endless, but I know incredibly FEW people who are actually <60 and “totally healthy.” Maybe it’s a regional thing, who knows. But so people going, “It’s ok as long as you’re not old or have some other health condition” is not helpful, nearly every human I love is in that category.

I work from home, live in a small town and am comfortably introverted, so in that respect I’m set. My only concern at the moment is running out of toilet paper. Bulk buying hysteria is getting a bit ridiculous here in Australia.

Stay safe everyone.